Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • PayPal refunds from a proper online retailer question?
  • jfletch
    Free Member

How do paypal refunds normally work?

I ordered something from Leisure Lakes and chose to check out via PayPal as I’m lazy and it was easier than getting my credit card out of my wallet and typing in the long number.

Anyway… they didn’t have the item in stock and couldn’t get it anytime soon so quite reasonably offered me a refund which I took.

However the refund has now come though and it seems it’s been sent as a PayPal payment rather than simply refunding the original transaction. Its showing in my account as a payment from LL and a fee has been deducted.

Is this normal?

Its annoying as I now have funds in my PP account, rather than it being refuned to my CC (which is linked to PP and the original payment came from). I have an option to refund LLs payement showing so why couldn’t they do that with my transaction?

Are they playing silly beggars?

druidh
    Free Member

AFAIK – it has to be refunded to Paypal, but there shouldn’t be a fee. I’ve processed refunds for folk on that basis (and had others refunded). The fact that it end up in your Paypal account and not your CC is your issue though.

speed12
    Free Member

Yeah, it will always go back to Paypal if you paid that way. What usually happens is that it will get refunded but you can’t access it for a few days while PayPal “verify it” (or get interest off it…whichever way you want to look at it :S…). Then you can do a payment back to your bank account that it usually comes out of. All very easy to do but does take about a week to finally get the funds back.

Never heard of a charge though.

atlaz
    Free Member

They’ve messed it up either intentionally or because of someone being thick. To refund you just trigger a full or partial refund. It just sends the money back and marks the transaction as unpaid/refunded so you’re clear that you never took that money when the auditors come around

jfletch
    Free Member

They’ve messed it up either intentionally or because of someone being thick.

That is what I thought.

So they haven’t issued a refund, they have accepted the origainl payment and then set up a separate payment and sent it to me.

Can’t say I’m inclided to shop with Leisure Lakes again what with selling me something they don’t have and then cocking up the refund.

Not sure I can be bothered to chase them on it though as they actually cocked up totally and refunded me the full price of the item but I had used a voucher code for a 5% discount so after the PayPal fee I am actually 12p up on the deal.

neninja
    Free Member

If the transaction is over 60 days old this is the only way to refund a customer (a total scam on Paypal’s part as it means they don’t have to refund the sellers fee which they do within that period), not really satisfactory though. I had the same from CRC recently on something that had stopped working within the warranty.

If they did it within the 60 days then the person working there is either stupid (as they would have got their fees back) or lazy and can’t be bothered to look back through all the old transactions for yours.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Will they willrefund the charge ; have you asked them (the retailer not paypal), or maybe a voucher. Goodwill gesture and all that. Worth asking about it and its possible they don’t realise you’ve been charged a fee by paypal.

jfletch
    Free Member

If the transaction is over 60 days

it was only hours old!

Will they willrefund the charge

not sure ill bother as the fact they have cocked up twice means I’m not out of pocket.

The item was £18.99 but I used a voucher code for 5% off so I paid 18.02. They refunded me 18.99 but PayPal charged me 85p so I got 18.14 in my account.

How annoying will it be to have cash in my paypal account? Do I need to spend exactly 18.14 to get back to zero or can I pay for something over that by topping up from my credit card. My PayPal ac is not linked to my bank ac and won’t be so I can’t get the money back that way.

Simon

I had the same thing happen with LL. Getting the refund in the first place was an interesting experience too . I wont be shopping with them again………

zokes
    Free Member

A few years back I bought a Whyte 46 off them (you remember, the uprated Marin that noone here likes to talk about). It came with lifetime warranty on frame and bearings.

Two months later after a trip up (and down) Snowdon there’s about an inch of play in the swingarm bearings. LL tried to wash their hands of it saying it had been ‘downhilled’…

I did point out it was an “all mountain” bike, and that I had photographic evidence of me riding it up Snowdon too if that helped. Thankfully, the loon’s manager took my side, but I’ve avoided them since.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘PayPal refunds from a proper online retailer question?’ is closed to new replies.