Home Forums Chat Forum PayPal/eBay sharing phone number

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • PayPal/eBay sharing phone number
  • oceanskipper

Today I received a text message from a seller I had purchased from and it occurred to me that I don’t want my phone number shared with every seller I buy from so I set about trying to disable it. I can’t see anywhere on eBay to disable phone number sharing as a buyer. It’s possible to disable it as a seller so I have assumed that it is PayPal that are sharing the number – well I know that PayPal share it as I’ve seen my number on delivery notes on occasion when I’ve used PayPal for a purchase. Trouble is there is also no way to disable it in PayPal either so I have had to enable 2FA via Authenticator instead of SMS and then update my number with a “burner”.

Just a heads up if, like me, you don’t fancy sharing your mobile number with anyone and everyone…

escrs
    Free Member

Personally i prefer it when a buyer has their number availible to me

Not that i want to call them but when im booking their item for collection i can put their phone number in and Royal Mail will send them txt updates of where the parcel is and when its arriving and let them know of any issues

Why dont you want someone having your number? what’s the worst they can do, call you up and you can hang up and block them if you want to

The fact they already have your address having your phone number seems like a non issue to me but not everyone sees it like that

oceanskipper

I get notifications of deliveries via the associated apps (RM,DPD, etc) so nothing lost there and it seems like it’s just one more way of getting put on a SPAM list or worse still another factor for identity fraud via a data breach or indeed the sale of harvested data.  I’ve had the same mobile number for 30 odd years and been quite protective of it, whether or not that has made a difference I don’t know but, by and large, I get very little (one every few months) in the way of SPAM texts/calls. I’d like to keep it that way.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.