Home Forums Chat Forum Parking Charge Notice

• This topic has 53 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by Cougar.
Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Parking Charge Notice
  • john dough
    Free Member

The industry needs a proper regulator to remove the worst practices and companies, unfortunately the Tory proposals will make a bad situation worse

I did used to follow it after our initial run in with one but haven’t for the past year or two , well since they pulled the newer legislation so you probably are better informed on the topic than someone who was skim reading it

Whilst I don’t condone the felling of the ULEZ poles and my comment was made a bit tongue in cheek regards the ANPR poles, there’s still a part of my youth that says I do chuckle when a spot of anarchist behaviour happens .

roger_mellie

It’s situations like this where a Revolut disposable virtual card is very handy.

Or stopping and thinking before filling in a form received from an unsolicited text message. How/ why would the DVSA have your mobile number?

ernielynch

. How/ why would the DVSA have your mobile number?

Or more importantly why would a text message from the DVSA contain such appalling english and random capital letters? If it was as claimed the same text message as I received.

Having said that I almost fell for a scam text recently. It claimed that a delivery company had been unable to deliver a parcel due to an incomplete delivery address. Since I had asked for a parcel to be delivered to a local Italian deli for me that sounded perfectly feasible.

So I clicked on the link and gave the full delivery address and when I clicked next it asked for a nominal amount to cover an alleged extra cost, £1.75 I think. That’s when alarm bells started to ring very loudly. I reread the text message and that was when I realised that it was full of grammatical errors and random capital letters, I hadn’t noticed any of that at all when I initially scan-read the text. And it wasn’t the delivery company which I was expecting a delivery from.

It does help a lot if messages are flagged up as potential scams imo as it forces you to be a little more careful and aware.

burntembers

Thanks, interesting responses to my question, didn’t cross my mind to tell lease company to ask hotel for the fee at the time. If similar ever happens again I might be not so willing to stomach it.

ernielynch

Well it was the company that was contracted by the hotel to manage their parking which made the mistake, it had nothing to do with you. What if you hadn’t even visited the hotel?

You should have charged the leasing company £25 administrative costs for your time dealing with something that had nothing to do with you and was their problem!!

Edit : The truth is that you probably tapped in the wrong reg  ;)

It’s easily done if your actual vehicle model isn’t displayed for confirmation.

Cougar

It is very easy to point and laugh at other people’s stupidity, right up until you get caught out yourself.  Ask me how I know.

I got stung once in a phishing exercise at work.  We were told to expect a third-party email for some new system or other, then the email arrived, my partner was talking to me so I wasn’t really paying attention when I opened it, ha ha you’ve just been phished.  As phishing training goes it was a shitty trick, but then criminals don’t play by the rules either.  Not to blow my own trumpet but I’d like to think I’m more tech- and security-savvy than most, and a moment’s inattention was sufficient for me to have my pants pulled down.

I blogged about this, should anyone care:

You Do Phishing Tests? Redux

Cougar

Thanks, interesting responses to my question, didn’t cross my mind to tell lease company to ask hotel for the fee at the time. If similar ever happens again I might be not so willing to stomach it.

My thinking is, who has contracts with whom?

You have a relationship with the hotel.  The hotel has a relationship with the parking enforcement company.  (You also have a relationship with the vehicle lease company, but they are not at fault here.)

A mistake has been made, you take it up with the hotel.  If they decide they’re at fault then they accept liability.  If they decide the parking company is at fault, then they reimburse you and seek redress from the company they’re employing to enforce the car park.

Whether that has any legal bearing I don’t know, but the logic is broadly how consumer law works.

stumpyjon

@cougar the motorist has a contract with the parking enforcement company. The motorist will also have a contract with their lease company. The two are seperate. The hotel guest also has a  contract with the hotel but parking enforcement is seperate to that. The parking enforcement company also has a contract with the hotel but that has no bearing on the lease company or parking enforcement.

Hope that helps (laughing emoji).

retrorick

It is very easy to point and laugh at other people’s stupidity, right up until you get caught out yourself. Ask me how I know.

Exactly this. I parked up, looked at phone, saw message, knew I’d done some dodgy parking earlier in the day (broken machine), other half had just left car and headed to the bog, I thought I’d quickly sort the issue rather than dwell on the problem  being a decent (occasionally thick) person. Clever enough tho to call my bank and discuss the problem, changed the virtual card number and cancelled internet purchases with the card number.

I’ll nuke the card when I’m orbital and learn from the experience.

Plus I’ll read every topic on stw just to keep abreast of every situation known to man. Winky eye.

mattyfez

It looks like the “DVSA” phishing message is doing the rounds…

I got this just now:

andy5390

Bloody delinquent, deserve everything you get  :)

a11y

I got stung once in a phishing exercise at work.  We were told to expect a third-party email for some new system or other, then the email arrived, my partner was talking to me so I wasn’t really paying attention when I opened it, ha ha you’ve just been phished.

My work partakes in similar activity to try and snare folk, with the expected results.

However, conversely they also circulated a company-wide e-mail claiming to be a link to DP and Internet Security training, which (almost) everyone in my office immediately flagged as dodgy and deleted it. Turns out it was genuine and was from a new 3rd party training provider, but IT had failed to tell anyone this… in some ways it proved that some previous training is sinking in!

mattyfez

My work partakes in similar activity to try and snare folk, with the expected results.

However, conversely they also circulated a company-wide e-mail claiming to be a link to DP and Internet Security training, which (almost) everyone in my office immediately flagged as dodgy and deleted it. Turns out it was genuine and was from a new 3rd party training provider, but IT had failed to tell anyone this… in some ways it proved that some previous training is sinking in!

We had a very similar thing at work a while back… snotty email from HR to basically the whole company “this training is mandatory, uptake has been dissapointing” etc, etc…

Basically everyone else: “we’re not doing it because it looks like phishing/spam”.

Cougar

I’ve got to admit, there’s something quite glorious about running a phishing exercise disguised as a “mandatory security training” email.  If it had been a real exercise, someone in IT would be having a right giggle about that.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.