Home Forums Chat Forum Parents in the school yard – wtaf

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Parents in the school yard – wtaf
    bikerevivesheffield

Picking kids up, with air pods in, is a regular occurrence. You’ve not seen your kid for the day, they are 5! Get off your effin phone and speak to them and give proper attention. If you do that then your little one may well not be the attention seeking d***head during the day!

I get it may be a necessity once in a blue moon but not every day! And the mum who sold to the teacher tonight whilst wearing a big pair of beats in rose gold – you were simply rude!

And breathe

funkmasterp

There are a few lovely parents at my kids school and then there are the ones that seem to think they’re still in high school and part of an in crowd. Nobody cares you sad bastards, grow up.

Typed on my phone whilst ignoring my six year old!

SaxonRider

I regret not sending my kids to Welsh language school when we moved to Wales, but I have to say that I have always been happy with the way parents act in the schoolyard of the place all of mine have gone, and where my youngest still does.

There is genuine warmth on the part of the parents towards their kids, and plenty of smiling little ones that emerge from the school doors each day.

But yeah, I have seen what you mean OP at a different school, and it’s just awful.

didnthurt

At least the parents had bothered to get dressed that day and put outdoor shoes on.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have to say that I have always been happy with the way parents act in the schoolyard of the place all of mine have gone, and where my youngest still does.

I think that represents a bit of a class divide though.

thebunk

I guess you mean they are on the phone or something so agree that’s a shame. But I often leave my AirPods in and on transparency mode when outside or in busy environments (even at the Tesco checkout), as I’m far more likely to hear what’s being said. Like bionic ears they are.

pk13

I’ve had to ask a mum not to use the c**t word outside the classroom door when picking up my granddaughter witnessed blatant racism. it’s actually a fantastic school with wonderful staff.

People eh

cheekyget
    Free Member

My mate actually used to live next door to a primary school….he didn’t send his kids there tho.

It wasn’t uncommon to find the parents having a punch up at the gates  waiting for collection time

SaxonRider

“I think that represents a bit of a class divide though.”

Normally I would agree, but remember: our primary school is a ‘local’ in a very mixed-ethnicity and mixed-economy neighbourhood. My youngest’s best friends are recent immigrants from China and Nigeria respectively, and the school is running at between 40 and 50% kids from a background other than ‘British’.

By contrast, the primary my older kids started at in a socially-deprived area of Manchester was entirely white British, and a tragically nasty place, with many parents smoking in the schoolyard, and having period reminders that they were not to arrive to pick their children up while in possession of open alcohol.

Mister-P
    Free Member

What did she sell to the teacher?

scotroutes

Was Julio with you?

(Do folk really say “school yard” these days? It was always “playground” when I was growing up and when my daughter was at school)

alpin
    Free Member

Last time I was in the UK I accompanied my sister to the local school, just a ten minute walk away. The number of folks who had driven there to park was pathetic. The number of folks stood there in their pyjamas or tracksuits das saddening.

That was the only time I accompanied her as the whole experience was both shocking and sickening.

Sod having kids. Imagine having to do that every day.

leffeboy

not just at school either.  There is a park where I sometimes run where it’s not unusual to see a parent walking with their children but the parent is always just looking at their phone and completely ignoring the children.  It can’t be much fun for the children having to be just another thing competing for their parent’s attention

mattyfez

big pair of beats in rose gold

I think anyone who would buy such a thing is already a lost cause.

matt_outandabout

Do folk really say “school yard” these days? It was always “playground” when I was growing up and when my daughter was at school

School grounds is the “proper” term, unless you are in North America.

ratherbeintobago

@alpin Yes, and they drive there a good half hour before pick up to get parked near the school then sit there parked up with engines running, which is a sure sign fuel isn’t expensive enough.

We are (AFAIK) the only borough in GM not to have any school street trials…

And a member of Jurassic 5

alpin
    Free Member

you are in North America

Shooting ground, surely.

Drac

I use to wear earphones so I didn’t have to listen inane shit from other parents, simply took them out when my daughter appeared.

dartdude
    Free Member

J5 in the house to be, JURAS capital SIC – 5!

bikerevivesheffield

@drac that’s normal, it’s the wearing of them when they pick the kids up that I don’t get. Even encountered one mum in a full on zoom meeting with kids in tow

dartdude
    Free Member

Maybe the mum was on a video call with judge for being a banned driver.

Give errr a break! ;d

funkmasterp

Playground tactics, no rabbit in a hat tricks. Just that classic rap shit from Jurassic.

binners

Word…

07BF36F0-2D2B-4D2D-8EB4-CCC4D95BCACF

dartdude
    Free Member

Been listening to J5 for nigh on 25 yrs

Oooo get me!

poly
    Free Member

Sod having kids. Imagine having to do that every day.

you don’t, but then you will be judged by the other parents for not caring that your child will (almost certainly not) get abducted or run over (although that is more likely due to all the other parents brainwashed to believe that the world is not safe anymore!).

CountZero

I regret not sending my kids to Welsh language school when we moved to Wales, but I have to say that I have always been happy with the way parents act in the schoolyard of the place all of mine have gone, and where my youngest still does.

I was of the understanding that all kids in Wales were taught Welsh as part of the curriculum. My late partner was taught Welsh when she moved to Barmouth at the age of nine, and carried on to O-Level. She could still speak it a bit forty-odd years later.

ampthill

I was of the understanding that all kids in Wales were taught Welsh as part of the curriculum. My late partner was taught Welsh when she moved to Barmouth at the age of nine, and carried on to O-Level. She could still speak it a bit forty-odd years later.

Qoute

Your describing a school that teaches in English and includes some Welsh lesson. The other option is everything in Welsh

I think what parents wear to school pick up, unless in some way it’s dangerous or offensive, isn’t really an issue. It’s civil behaviour and attention to children that I’d be I’d be getting judgey about

peter1979
    Free Member

Classic STW mouth frothing thread.

gordimhor

First time I want to the school to pick up my son I ended up setting outside the deputy heads office. It wasnt the first time..

LAT

Even encountered one mum in a full on zoom meeting with kids in tow

She probably has a job and doesn’t get to choose which meetings she attends.

Daffy

Even encountered one mum in a full on zoom meeting with kids in tow

I’ve had to do this before when inconsiderate colleagues have scheduled important meetings which are outside of my working hours.  Sometimes there’s little you can do, especially when the meeting requester is of a higher grade.  My kids would understand and would behave and I’d usually have my Shokz for the meeting so I can still hear the kids.

chakaping

Bet they were wearing a dryrobe as well?

Scum, sub-human scum.

scaled
    Free Member

The excitement of seeing my kids at tue ejd of the day is rapidly replaced by anxiety that we’re going to be late to swimming/cubs/tennis/bmx etc because they’ve taken 15 sodding minutes to get out

catfood
    Free Member

There’s a school backs on to our house, some of the parents’ behaviour is unbelievable, drinking booze on pick up, proper nasty swearing at their kids, swearing and arguing at the top of their voices with partners, there was even one afternoon when two of the mums were fighting in the road with gangs of parents on either side backing up their favourite.

Don’t get me started on the parking.

My kids went to the Welsh medium school round the corner, which is a haven of calm and respect compared, they’re swapping buildings next year which hopefully will make our immediate neighbourhood a little nicer.

desperatebicycle

The OP’s home video, yesterday

Paul Simon? Cultural appropriation? Nevah!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I was of the understanding that all kids in Wales were taught Welsh as part of the curriculum.

I think it depended on the school. And North West Wales is a LOT more Welsh speaking than the rest.

I went to a very Welsh school where we were taught English as a lesson. Everything else, dinosaurs, Romans, history, science, geography, maths etc was all done natively in Welsh until the final years when we got a new teacher that wasn’t a fluent Welsh speaker.

The secondary school then had separate streams for Welsh / Bilingual / English but I don’t think many kids went into the English stream it was just there to cater to those that couldn’t speak Welsh. My parents were adamant that I was going into the Bilingual stream which would have made me the only 1 in the entire primary school going into it 😂 but we moved to England days before I was due to start due to my dad’s work moving,

It was pretty cool as I genuinely couldn’t tell the difference between Welsh and English , we’d get a book to read and my parents / grandparents would ask which language it was and I’d have to go back and check because even if I’d told them the title I’d have automatically translated it into English to tell them even if it wasn’t.  Disappointingly picking up a 3rd / 4th language isn’t as easy, at least not learning it via the curriculum, maybe I’d have picked one up if I’d lived somewhere.

dave_h

One of the greatest days of my life was having my last child finish primary school and knowing I no longer had to deal with the chaos that is the schoolyard pick up.

Agree with the comments of it being great when your kids come out all excited to see you, but even their pleasure had worn off by the top end of the Junior years.

catfood
    Free Member

As for all Welsh schools teaching Welsh it is generally one of two options here in South Wales, either English medium schools where everything is taught in English except Welsh language lessons or Welsh medium schools where everything is taught in Welsh except English language lessons, that’s a bit of an over simplification but pretty much it. A dual language school has recently opened but it’s not the norm.

My kids Welsh medium primary was total Welsh immersion for the first two years with no English spoken or allowed to be spoken, which can be challenging at first for kids from non Welsh speaking households, apparently that policy has been softened somewhat now.

IdleJon
    Free Member

Do folk really say “school yard” these days? It was always “playground” when I was growing up and when my daughter was at school

Growing up, I would have been laughed out of our school yard if I’d used the term ‘school grounds’. Swansea wasn’t exactly Americanised in the 70s. We had a yard and everyone called it a yard.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.