Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Parents and child hair colour
  • xcracer1
    Free Member

Might be a bit of a silly question…… But can say two brunette parents have a child with blonde hair?

You can probably guess what Im thinking!!

bearnecessities

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Recessive genes, I think, mean ‘maybe’. Plus small children often start with blond hair that gets darker.

molgrips
    Free Member

According to the traditionally taught model, yes. You carry two genes for hair colour. However brown genes are dominant and blonde ones recessive. So if you have one of each, the brown one takes over. You need two blonde ones to be blonde.

You get one from each parent at random, so if you have a blonde kid it means you are both carrying the recessive blonde gene and have both given it to the kid. My Dad has black hair but I’m blonde like my mum, so therefore my Dad must have the recessive blonde gene. Likewise my mate and his GF are both dark brown but their daughter is brilliant red.

However the reality is way more complicated than this 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

Wot colours Posties ?

😆

garage-dweller

I was really blond as a nipper but very dark haired now or at least I was until the grey set in. Both my folks were dark haired.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Same thing, I think, applies to eye colour, blue being recessive. I expect it’s also more complicated. Does the child have blue eyes?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Youre blond Mol?

*stalks mol on fb*

You’re not blond.

Junkyard
    Free Member

both my kids have blonde hair neither me nor their Mum does

I doubt they will have blonde hair as adults

Stalks DD on FB
    Kid is not grey
    Rubs chin suspiciously

ratherbeintobago

both my kids have blonde hair neither me nor their Mum does

I doubt they will have blonde hair as adults

Same here. We were both very blonde as kids though, and went mouse as we got older.

benji
    Free Member

Could have been worse, could have been ginger

Scapegoat

I had golden blond hair as a baby/toddler, with blue eyes, which became light-brown as I grew, but blond arm and leg hair, ‘tache and parts of my beard and eyebrows. My Mum’s colouring was dark blonde to chestnut, with blue green eyes, my dad was black haired with almost mediterranean olive skin and blue eyes. My brother and sister both had black curly hair, and brown eyes.

My wife is blonde which eventually went dark blonde to light brown with hazel eyes, and my twins were both blond, with blue eyes. At puberty my lad’s hair darkened to dark blond/light brown, but my daughter still has striking blonde hair with porcelain blue eyes. So much for recessive blue eye/blond hair genes. Looks like Mum, Emily and I won that battle!

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve got very dark brown hair (the bits that aren’t grey anyway), his mum’s is darker –

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Neither of my parents had blonde hair (Mum’s was brown, Dad was bald at 21, but certain his comb over was brown). Both me and my sister were blonde, my sister very blonde, I went mousey blonde.

MoreCashThanDash

A mate of mine stopped breeding after the third one turned out bright ginger…..

chiefgrooveguru

Mine did!

boxelder

You can probably guess what Im thinking!!

You couldn’t, surely (?), be publicly doubting the fidelty of your children’s mother on a cycling forum, so no, I don’t know what you’re thinking.
    My black PE teacher married a white lady and they had a black son and a blonde white daughter. Genetics eh?

molgrips
    Free Member

You’re not blond.

I think it is, technically – dark blonde. It’s not brown.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

I would have to dust of a few brain cells but im sure when we touched on hair and eye colour in genetics it was a bit more complicated than one pair of genes. I think there are about 5 with some that are closely located on the chromosone. Some combinations are therfore rarely seen – like light ginger hair and dark brown eyes etc.

I am one of a pair of children from two very dark brown haired parents I was blonde as a child and my brother was dark, we have both ended up with the same dark brown hair.

Of my four (fathers dark blonde) one is an adult with dark blonde hair, but the other three look like they will end up dark. Even though one was blonde when he was small, one was already dark (and hairy!) And the third. . . . If I hadnt seen him come out I would have questioned whether he was mine as he definitely had a red tinge! (Nothing against it it was just a shock!)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think it is, technically – dark blonde.

Course it is mol.

kimbers

Send me some DNA samples, I could probably give you a definitive answer

ads678

Yep me and the missus both brown hair, both our kids are blonde. Again we were both blonde as kids though.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well what colour is it then?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I think it is, technically – dark blonde.
    Course it is mol.

I found, being mousey blonde (gradually getting darker), my hair appears all sorts of shades of blonde/brown in photos depending on background light/flash/time of year/hair length/whatever. Now turning grey 🙁

Stainypants

My daughter is as ginger as they come no one in my family is ginge and nor is anyone in my wifes family. But we do have a lot of Scottish, irish and northern European DNA. So i dont think that Chesney has been poppung round whilst i’m out biking.

My parents have black hair i had briliant blonde hair until i was five then i got gradually darker. My middle boy was the same he’s has brown hair now but had almost white hair whem he was one. I wouldn’t take hair colour has an indication of paternity.

batfink
    Free Member

Mrs BF has got a ginger-gene lurking somewhere in her genome, we are thinking of starting a family, and it’s a very real concern.

andyl
    Free Member

user-removed
    Free Member

I have very black hair, my wife is very blonde and our two year old is also quite blonde. I had white hair (like Village of the Damped white) until I was nearly three, so I suspect anything is possible!

ourmaninthenorth

I wouldn’t bother batfink – I generally think the snall minded are better off not breeding. With time it means that prejudice based on skin and hair colour will die out.

shifter
    Free Member

Great film.

batfink
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother batfink – I generally think the snall minded are better off not breeding

Blimey….. calm down dear, it was obviously a joke.

sbob
    Free Member

ourmaninthenorth – Member

I wouldn’t bother batfink – I generally think the snall minded are better off not breeding. With time it means that prejudice based on skin and hair colour will die out.

Only if those without prejudice manage to breed.

Back of the queue, ginger nuts!

TheFlyingOx

Me (staring majestically into the middle distance)

The wife (on the right)

The boy

My part in his creation is downplayed a lot by the guys at work.

Seriously though, genetics is a wondrous thing. The only folk in our family with blue eyes apart from the boy are at least 2 generations or a number of cousins distant. There are no proper blondies either. It must be in the DNA somewhere though…

chewkw
    Free Member

The Flying Ox – Member

Me (staring majestically into the middle distance)

The wife (on the right)

The boy

eermmm … the postman visited … 😆

Who is the blondie with your wife? She has a rather big nose! 😯

CountZero

Who is the blondie with your wife? She has a rather big nose!

Seriously? 🙄
    Mind posting up random pics of your friends and relations so we can make unkind observations about them…

beefheart
    Free Member

It must be in the DNA somewhere though…

You hope.

Seriously though, me and BH junior’s mum both have brown hair, but junior is blond.

Edit- I hope…… 😕

chewkw
    Free Member

CountZero – Member

Who is the blondie with your wife? She has a rather big nose!

Seriously?
    Mind posting up random pics of your friends and relations so we can make unkind observations about them…

They look like most people from South East Asia. 😮

Regarding big nose Jackie Chan has a big nose too … 🙄

jimw
    Free Member

My parents were both dark haired, my brother and I were born with a little dark hair but went quite blond between the ages of 18 months to about five or six. We then became quite dark brown and now neither of us has much hair and what is left is mostly grey. My dad has more hair than both of us put together and until his mid seventies it was still dark

RoterStern
    Free Member

I can remember going to a good friend’s brother’s wedding a good while ago. A Sikh wedding where there was one girl dressed in traditional Indian clothes but with blonde hair and blue eyes. I thought she must have been adopted but her mother and father were pointed out to me and they were both Indian! Caused a right stir when she was born by all accounts and the father demanded a DNA test which showed in fact he was the real dad. Apparently quite a few generations early someone had married a European.

convert

Mind posting up random pics of your friends

Do this guy’s posts really give you the indication that this is even a remote possibility? I’ve never had that impression.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Parents and child hair colour’ is closed to new replies.