• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by MSP.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Pantani "honoured" by Giro route
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Wondering what the opinion is on here about a drug cheat who died of a cocaine (amongst other substances) overdose being honoured by next years Giro?

He was a brilliantly entertaining rider, undoubtedly a visual character, and did much to raise the profile of Italian cycling at a time when they didn’t have much to cheer about. And probably most Italian cyclists from now on will be compared by Italians against the standard set by Pantani. Clearly in Italy this is sufficient to sweep the rest of the stuff under the carpet. If Pantani had not died, would we be seeing a dossier on his doping now? More likely tearful confessions.

I don’t really see anyone else from that era of cycling being honoured in a similar way in the current climate of cycling, regardless of how impressive their palmares are.

asterix
    Free Member

at a time when they didn’t have much to cheer about

thats exactly like now – economy failing, coalition government failing… …

aP
    Free Member

I don’t think that there’s any doubt in anyone’s mind that Pantani was a drug taker of both PES and recreational types.
    He also basically killed himself.
    Everyone loves a tragic hero, why not just enjoy the spectacle?

Edric64
    Free Member

Best we all stop dumping cycling related crap on the Simpson memorial on Ventoux as that honours a druggie cyclist as well .Must bin my Molteni shirt as well seeing as Merckx was at it to !!

mrblobby
    Free Member

I wonder if the same would happen in France if Pantiani had been French? I somehow doubt it given the different attitudes towards doping.

By the way, anyone interested in Pantani should definitely read The Death of Marco Pantani by Matt Rendell. An excellent read.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I wonder if the same would happen in France if Pantiani had been French? I somehow doubt it given the different attitudes towards doping.

You mean like Virenque? Not dead but still very popular in France.

mrblobby
    Free Member

You mean like Virenque? Not dead but still very popular in France.

Maybe you are right, a tearful confession goes a long way, imagine if the housewives favourite had actually won the tour!

Pigface
    Free Member

Italians all barking mad, any country that repeatedly voted Berlusconi into power is capable of anything.

headfirst
    Free Member

mrblobby, the Frenchies were doping as much as all the others were and the French cycling authorities were complicit in this too – read @rough Ride’ by Paul Kimage, or refere to Cofidis…

mrblobby
    Free Member

mrblobby, the Frenchies were doping as much as all the others were and the French cycling authorities were complicit in this too – read @rough Ride’ by Paul Kimage, or refere to Cofidis…

Yes, good book. Wasn’t really until the gendarmerie got involved that it all blew up. Would think the current French attitudes may be less tolerant, though maybe I’m wrong.

butcher

It’s interesting how differences in circumstance can change perceptions. Pantani is seen as a victim. Lance Armstrong a profiteer. Yet both held very similar stances in cycling. Pantani wasn’t the innocent victim he’s always made out to be, but I guess it’s easy to see him as misguided, where guys like Lance, with his strong persona, are seen very much as guiding themselves.

clubber
    Free Member

I see Pantani as a tragic figure – someone who paid the price of the complete lack of any morals in the cycling world at that time (and for some time after). Not something to celebrate for me.

As to the comparison with Lance, I can see the argument but for me, the difference will always be between what went with the doping. Pantani’s doping was a personal matter (for want of a better phrase). He cheated and didn’t go out after other people, trying to bully, etc. Lance did. It may be inconsequential to some but to me, that’s the difference between being part of the culture and driving the culture. It doesn’t excuse the cheating for me but I certainly look on Pantani more favourably than Lance.

That said, my love of Bianchis was almost certainly kicked off by him and I still love them so maybe I’m conflicting with my own point of view…

butcher

He cheated and didn’t go out after other people, trying to bully, etc. Lance did. It may be inconsequential to some but to me, that’s the difference between being part of the culture and driving the culture.

I completely agree that it’s all about attitudes. And I like Pantani personally. It’s easy to see how you can be dragged into it all. But he probably was a big driving force in the doping culture at the time.

MSP

I do see Pantani in a different light to Armstrong, but if they just gloss over his doping and downfall and celebrate him as a hero, then it is a mistake and not what cycling should be doing.

If they celebrate him for who he was AND take an opportunity to highlight the dangers of the path he followed then maybe it could be a good thing.

I see the Simpson memorial very much as a celebration of his character including his flaws and also as a sad warning to the dangers of the price that can be paid.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Pantani "honoured" by Giro route’ is closed to new replies.