Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 488 total)
  • Panic buying because of Coronavirus – genuine question
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Has anyone genuinely started panic buying yet? I really don’t see things getting any better (in terms of containment of the virus) over the next few weeks and I am beginning to see a real threat to free movement.

We haven’t panic-bought yet (apart from one extra packet of dried macaroni for the kids in case we can’t get any for next weeks packed-lunches which would be a disaster) however on receipt of our normal shop yesterday we got a huge amount of substitutions and a couple of items unavailable.

Now I know that panic-buying is feeding panic-buying, but I don’t want to be the family left without just because I didn’t want to contribute to the problem in the first place and my wife has just posed the question about buying a few cupboard items ‘just in case’.

MoreCashThanDash

Nope. We’ve always got enough in for a week’s worth of food, and Occado can bring us enough for another week.

martinhutch

I haven’t done any panic buying, but gradually built up my little stockpile over about a month starting in January. Reckon my lot can last a good few weeks, perhaps longer, without having to visit a shop.

At the moment I’m shopping once a week instead of the normal few times to top things up so I don’t dig into it before I have to.

I don’t think we’ll get to a situation where the shops are completely shut, but there is the possibility of supply chain disruption if this thing gets going. Obviously if it doesn’t, that’s great, nothing will be wasted.

jam-bo

so, just to be clear.

you are asking if you should panic buy to avoid panic buying?

butcher

I’ve not bought anything I wouldn’t ordinarily buy, but there is a concern at the back of my mind that it’s not going to be an option when I do need it.

A lot of talk about panic buying, and we see videos of fights online. but I’d take a guess that the vast majority of it is just down to people buying one or two packets extra of this or that, just in case it’s not there next week. Which seems perfectly sensible in all honesty.

Drac

No.

boomerlives
    Free Member

The thing is, there is no problem with supply within the UK at the moment, so once everyone has bought a cupboard full of pasta, the shelves will be full.

Many food producers are putting extra shifts on to cope with demand. This is fine for short shelf life items as the retailer will be stuck with them, they go to landfill, producers make more,

I know a bog roll producer who is making it large at the moment with mad demand, but he is expecting a big slump once the panic is over as “people only have so many craps in a year”

bikebouy
    Free Member

No

Its stupid idea, don’t get drawn into it.

martinhutch

I think the supermarket delivery services will be put under quite a bit of pressure if a lot of people suddenly decide or get told to head home and stay there. Whether they will be able to provide a reliable service, particularly if their pickers/drivers also head home, is an interesting question.

tomd
    Free Member

I’ve often wondered if the hoarders have really thought hard enough about what would happen if the shit really hit the fan and insufficient supplies were available for the whole population. As in not just shortages of certain things but genuine calorie and essential FMCG shortages.

There seems to an assumption that they’ll be able to sit quietly at home for a month using up their 320 bog rolls, 30kg of pasta and sauce while the rest of the population starve and quietly rue their lack of preparedness.

johndoh
    Free Member

you are asking if you should panic buy to avoid panic buying?

Well yes, I kinda covered that in my post.

Nope. We’ve always got enough in for a week’s worth of food, and Occado can bring us enough for another week.

Again, I covered this in my post – our online shop had many substitutions and some unavailable items and, given the way things appear to be going, I don’t see it getting any better. But then I am not posh enough to shop at Ocado.

pocpoc
    Free Member

my wife has just posed the question about buying a few cupboard items ‘just in case’.

I had the exact same conversation with my wife this morning. We’re both of the same opinion. Don’t see the need for the panic buying, but also don’t want to be the fools sat at home with nothing after all the doom mongers have emptied the shelves.
    I suggested a couple of bags of pasta or rice and a bit of extra tinned stuff might be a good idea. With three kids though it’d all be eaten within a week anyway. I’d need to fill the garage with food to last them any decent amount of time.

It also conflicts with our current attempts to declutter and clean the house as we get ready to try and sell it. Viewings could be a bit awkward when they open a door to a room full of baked beans and loo roll.

Dickyboy

Noticed a few things as being unavailable with our online shop this week, but hardly likely to be going hungry so not bought any extras to otherwise fan the flames of panic.

tlr

In contrast, our online shop came through with everything ordered, including toilet paper, didn’t really occur to me that it might not.

I’d not even thought about ordering anything extra. An enforced diet might do me good anyway!

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’m fitting spikes and flamethrowers to my SUV to help me fight for the precious resources when western civlization collapses next Wednesday

Kahurangi

Has anyone genuinely started panic buying yet

No, absolutely not. There are no shortages because of lack of production, only because of people.

A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it

richmtb

I’m stockpiling beer and whisky.

I’ve no idea what’s coming but I ain’t facing it sober!

Drac

In contrast shops here have plenty of stocks, we seen some panic buying last week but thankfully it’ll be months before those tools need more bog roll.

avdave2

I’ve been fortunate enough to find myself the owner of a collection of tinned food, toilet rolls and weapons. No need to go and buy anything.:-)

Keva
    Free Member

I have no idea why anyone feels compelled to buy 400 packets of pasta, 200 packets of rice and 300 rolls of bog roll.

just wtf is wrong with people?

The shops aren’t closing.
    If you have to isolate you can get shopping delivered.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Quite a few STWers were posting they’d stockpiled tins and dried foods etc a week ago before we called it panic buying.

Personally, I don’t know what you’d call it. Friday evening just gone was my usual weekly shopping time. My local supermarket was out of anything Paracetamol based (inc Calpol) This was a bit of a pain because I had a 5 year old with a fever plus my Wife and I were both feeling rough (Daughters school has Hand Foot and Mouth doing the rounds at the moment).

When I finally found somewhere with Calpol I bought 2 bottles because there’s 10 doses of Calpol in a bottle (2.5 days worth) and Hand Foot and Mouth usually lasts a week because I didn’t want to risk not being able to buy anymore 2 days later. Is that panic buying?

willard

I’ve been fortunate enough to find myself the owner of a collection of tinned food, toilet rolls and weapons. No need to go and buy anything.:-)

My immediate image is that you are the new curator of a really, really bizarre museum.

jimw
    Free Member

Our weekly onLine shop arrived without Lasagne sheets and yoghurts even though available on the online screen the night before.
    According to he guy delivering it, it had calmed down from last week “there’s only so much bog roll people can store at home” but there is still no hand sanitiser, paracetamol and most types of dried pasta at the store he picks up from. Everything else is normal he said.

If you have to isolate you can get shopping delivered

He also did briefly say something on the lines of ‘don’t know what will happen if drivers start self isolating under government advice’

chipster
    DezB
    Free Member

Pretty sure that today marks 4 weeks since someone on the corona virus thread (kerley?) reckoned that in 4 weeks we’d all be sorry for not panic buying.
    I don’t think we are.

Drac

Pretty sure that today marks 4 weeks since someone on the corona virus thread (kerley?) reckoned that in 4 weeks we’d all be sorry for not panic buying.
    I don’t think we are.

Yup and he’s been doing it for 3 weeks before that. 😂

binners

null

binners

‘don’t know what will happen if drivers start self isolating under government advice’

Yeah but all the ‘Just Eat’ and Deliveroo people are on gig contracts so couldn’t afford to self-isolate even if they were nearly dead. So I intend to live on Pizza and kebabs and just get them to leave it outside the front door.

You hoarders can keep your rice and pasta

Trimix
    Free Member

Panic, panic, panic. Its like some crap channel 5 late night straight to video movie.

Whatever you do dont buy loo paper, apparently the cardboard rolls in the middle are made of recycled stuff in China. So your going to infect your bum if you wipe it.

Ive taken to skidding along my lawn doggy style to clean myself, you cant be too carefull. I have stocked up on extra petrol for my chainsaw to defend my property for when the virus mutates everone into a zombie.

Trimix
    Free Member

Hang on, isnt Pasta from Italy…………………..da da da ! There is a connection.

Kryton57

Yeah but all the ‘Just Eat’ and Deliveroo people are on gig contracts so couldn’t afford to self-isolate even if they were nearly dead. So I intend to live on Pizza and kebabs and just get them to leave it outside the front door.

Good luck with that, the rumours regarding how they handle the food are bad enough before they were potentially carrying a virulent virus.

butcher

Personally, I don’t know what you’d call it. Friday evening just gone was my usual weekly shopping time. My local supermarket was out of anything Paracetamol based (inc Calpol) This was a bit of a pain because I had a 5 year old with a fever plus my Wife and I were both feeling rough (Daughters school has Hand Foot and Mouth doing the rounds at the moment).

When I finally found somewhere with Calpol I bought 2 bottles because there’s 10 doses of Calpol in a bottle (2.5 days worth) and Hand Foot and Mouth usually lasts a week because I didn’t want to risk not being able to buy anymore 2 days later. Is that panic buying?

The one thing I did consider buying, is a box of paracetamol. As it happens, Aldi’s shelves were completely empty of paracetamol. I often don’t have any in the house, tend to do my shopping on a daily basis and buy stuff as and when I need it.

But you know, it’s forecast that you have a roughly 50/50 chance of becoming ill in the coming weeks or months, it’s a completely sensible thing to have in the house. In that respect it’s no different to the thousands of people out buying Turkeys the week before Xmas. It’s not panic buying, it’s preparing for an event.

There’s a large spectrum here, with plenty of people in a genuine panic, but we all sit somewhere within it thinking about various levels of preparation. And as it’s an unplanned event, unlike Xmas, the shops, supermarkets and suppliers are all unprepared. It’s not an issue created entirely by feral members of society as it’s usually portrayed.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Just been in Didcot Sainsburys. Very quiet. Not too many gaps on the shelves and customers outnumbered 2:1 by staff.
    No jam doughnuts. Had to compensate with trip choc muffins.

fossy

Nothing here. I’d just de-cluttered the kitchen, so not filling it up with stuff we don’t need. I did buy 160 packets of cat food last week, but the cat’s have already eaten half of it (got 5 hungry mouths). I have a few tins of soup in. The de cluttering did end up with a rather large jar filled with pasta we didn’t know we had.

Bought a load of drill bits in Aldi last night, joked with the checkout lady that I wasn’t stockpiling, but she said, well at least you could build a bunker.

SaxonRider

Ive taken to skidding along my lawn doggy style to clean myself, you cant be too carefull. I have stocked up on extra petrol for my chainsaw to defend my property for when the virus mutates everone into a zombie.

You think if the zombies find out you’ve been doing that on your lawn they’re going to go anywhere near your house?

jimdubleyou

We bought 54 bog rolls and 3 kilos of pasta the other week because we were close to running out.

But, we shop in Costco, and that’s the sizes they sell.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Seeing as panic effectively triggers a fight or flight response, leading to your immune system shutting down, enjoy your panic based last supper. I’m chilling out.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Just cleaned the kitchen, top to bottom. Ran out of kitchen cleaner…

Can I use kitchen cleaner as a hand sanitizer 😱🤔😁😁😁

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’ve built a huge pyramid out of Oxo cubes.

franksinatra

Tesco ran out of Rioja and substituted with Malbec instead last Friday.

Its a sick and twisted world.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 488 total)

The topic ‘Panic buying because of Coronavirus – genuine question’ is closed to new replies.