Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Paint your red nose black protest
  • Lifer
    Free Member

Foreign aid in this case being vouchers for BAE

nealglover
    Free Member

even though you have been told what the point of it is you still think it is pointless…I dont think that word means what you think it means

I’ve been told what other people think.
    That doesn’t always change my opinion though.

And yes thanks I know what pointless means. There a few different ways to define it in dictionary terms and a few of them suit exactly what I think this campaign is.

– having little or no sense.
    – ineffectual.
    – without force or meaning.
    – devoid of effectiveness.

IHN

I know I’m a right cynical ****, but I always think of the likes of Bono. Lecturing everyone on giving to charity, but structuring your personal finances so as to ensure you keep hold of ALL your mountains of dosh, while making little or no contribution to the society you actually live in. And judging by what came out over the whole Jimmy Carr business, I wonder how many of those imploring us to give will have similar tax set-ups?

I too think that Bono is a monumental tosspot, however I think there’s a danger of conflating two separate things – personal social responsibility on the part of the celeb and the wider issue of publicising a charitable event/issue, which will be best achieved by a celeb.

I suppose the thing to do is judge it on the merits of the cause, not of who’s asking you to donate (or is appearing in a related pop video…)

rogermoore

i dont like comic relief (CR)

OK.

i dont like one direction (OD)

Right.

im not keen on david cameron

So, if you take (CR) plus (OD) then remove (DC) you are left with (OR).

Everyone likes Oliver Reed – why don’t we just leave it there?

RM.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

David Cameron One Direction should be removed from a One Direction video.

FTFY

I think tha the whole thing is lose-lose. Being in the video won’t help Camerons profile or One Direction. Probably zero positive fundraising impact. Regardless of Cameron’s view or standpoint (if indeed he really has one) he should stop flouncing about and get on with some Prime Minsitering.

Black noses aren’t going to undo the fact that the video exists – would you rather they wasted money remaking it?

Lifer
    Free Member

Well it’s worked as we’re discussing it…how pointless was it then?

nealglover
    Free Member

Well it’s worked as we’re discussing it…how pointless was it then?

How has it “worked” though ?

It’s a campaign with the intention to achieve a goal.

Has the goal been achieved ?

aracer
    Free Member

We’re discussing what a load of idiots the people suggesting this are. I’m not sure that was their point.

D0NK

How has it “worked” though ?

depends dunnit? If the blacknose people really wanted and expected a reshoot/edit of the video yes they’ve so far (and will probably continue to) failed. If however they wanted to get people to notice and discuss cmd being a duplicitous **** they’ve succeeded.

Depends on how realistic they are of course but I’m guessing option 2 was their real aim.

Lifer
    Free Member

aracer – Member
    We’re discussing what a load of idiots the people suggesting this are. I’m not sure that was their point

Are ‘we’? Not much of a consensus if that’s the case.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Has the goal been achieved ?

Let’s stop all campaigns. Unless the end goals are achieved, they’re all essentially pointless.

aracer
    Free Member

Are ‘we’? Not much of a consensus if that’s the case.

I hadn’t realised consensus was required for a discussion.

Lifer
    Free Member

aracer – Member

‘Are ‘we’? Not much of a consensus if that’s the case.’

I hadn’t realised consensus was required for a discussion.

You said:

aracer – Member
    We’re discussing what a load of idiots the people suggesting this are. I’m not sure that was their point.

Which suggests everyone on the thread thinks they’re a load of idiots (ie a consensus). Which they don’t. Hence the ‘Are we?’ question.

aracer
    Free Member

We’re discussing what a load of idiots they are. Some think they are. Some think they aren’t. We’re discussing it.

Did I really have to explain that?

Lifer
    Free Member

That would be discussing whether they are idiots or not. Do I really have to explain the difference to you?

And maybe icksnay on the old condescensionay there, Chet.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Did I really have to explain that?

If you’re going to nit-pick, you need to be clearer yourself. And consider using “whether” instead of “what”.

EDIT: too slow. Nothing unusual there. 😐

scruff
    Free Member

Oh no, menopausal wimmin at work wearing deely boppers try so look as though they are having fun and being wacky for a day.

Should be banned.

binners

Come on scruff. You love being wacky at work. We all do!

scruff
    Free Member

Bah. At least the red will match the hot flushes.

aracer
    Free Member

Not me who started the nit-picking, bravissimo. What a load of idiots they are (alternatively, isn’t CMD a vile self-serving tit, what a warmonger Bliar is), discuss.

Though actually, as is the STW way, we now seem to be discussing what it was we were discussing.

Lifer
    Free Member

🙄

Read the OP again. Mention idiots at all? Mention whether they have a point?

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Paint your red nose black protest’ is closed to new replies.