• This topic has 1,152 replies, 133 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by zokes.
Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 1,153 total)
  • Overtaking.
  • KennySenior
    Free Member

I struggle with long sentences but can someone tell me if a decent chunk of the thread is molgrips going on about people not letting him take his turn at overtaking?

I’ll eat my hat if its not in there somewhere.

EDIT I don’t know how that works but I struggle with long sentences gets automatically changed to I struggle with long sentences. Bravo 🙂

EDIT Oh FFS

rebel12
    Free Member

Molegrips, sorry but from your post you seem like someone who drives too close to the obstruction in front and then when a gap appears, far too hesitant to take the opportunity. Perhaps try and position yourself better. There’s no harm if it’s clear indicating when you see a gap, pulling over to the opposite carriageway so that you can have a proper look and then going for the overtake if it’s safe to do so. Drivers behind would clearly see your intention then and you wouldn’t have the problems you do.

anagallis_arvensis

it’s why I ride motorbikes. Get too wound up by dawdling knobbers when I’m in the car, on the bike they barely register I’m past that quick.

i have found since riding a motorbike my car driving has chilled out.
    DD thats a pretty offensive thing to say imo. Would you say the same about cyclists?
    Its also pretty tiresome and immature.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

DD thats a pretty offensive thing to say imo.

I apologise if I’ve upset you. 🙁

Would you say the same about cyclists?

No.

molgrips
    Free Member

Molegrips, sorry but from your post you seem like someone who drives too close to the obstruction in front and then when a gap appears, far too hesitant to take the opportunity.

I’m not. I just need to see more clear road to overtake than some people do apparently. I’ve no intention of taking unnecessary risks. I make my intentions clear by signalling and positioning myself, but plenty of people don’t give a shit and will force their way through anyway, often dangerously.

I see some absolutely disgraceful overtaking manoevres on the roads, and yes, lots of accidents and deaths. This is why I play it safe and won’t pass unless I’m sure. There’s absolutely no point in teaching yourself to cut it as fine as possible.

It IS a matter of life and death.

grum
    Free Member

Wow driving threads really bring out the inner bellend in some people don’t they. Yes it’s annoying going really slowly but have you looked at any of the stats about how much difference it actually makes to your journey times trying to ‘make progress’?

Seen so many dodgy overtaking manoeuvres which achieve virtually nothing due to the volume of traffic further up the road. Plus you use a load more fuel and get a load more stressed.

Woody
    Free Member

Whut? We kill someone for making a mistake? (Just playing along)

I thought you’d be in agreement and rubbing your hands with glee at the thought of more organ donors? Ah well, shows how wrong you can be (just playing along)

BTW for those don’t know, I believe DD’s organ quote is (allegedly) originally from a surgeon who labelled bikers organ donors while waiting for an organ and observed that it was raining outside and that one would be along shortly.

molgrips
    Free Member

Grum, quite right.

On the A417 either side of Ledbury there were so many bad accidents due to absolutely terrifying driving, mostly from rep types in fast cars, that the police started leaving the mangled smashed up cars on the roadside for a week or two, to remind people of the dangers. It would calm people down for a few weeks.

anagallis_arvensis

I apologise if I’ve upset

Stop being so bloody reasonable. This is stw you know!!

tinybits
    Free Member

I see some absolutely disgraceful overtaking manoevres on the roads, and yes, lots of accidents and deaths.

I’m really pleased that I don’t spend time on the same roads as you, I wouldn’t last 5 minutes!

What I don’t get however, is that someone else has already reacted to what you consider to be a safe overtaking place (as you’re indicating and about to go) yet you hadn’t in time to get the overtake done first. You are my grandma and I claim my £5.
    On a slightly more serious note, I would expect someone in a M3 to be able to overtake quite safely somewhere that a perfectly capable driver in a Prius couldn’t dream if it. In that case, I see no reason that the more capable car should wait behind.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

@woody and a_a I missed a smiley. well, not really, I assumed people would realise it was a tongue in cheek comment. I don’t really wish death on any road-users, even bellenderous ones. So, I take it back and thanks for the clarification Woody.

singletrackbiker
    Free Member

As someone who drives a lot of rural roads, I see lots of people who wish to pootle. No problem, but I have to agree with the numerous comments already made. If you want to just plod along, why accelerate when people overtake?
    This business of “stealing” an overtake opportunity. Having watched & waited & saw safe opportunities pass by due to extreme hesitance & concluding an overtake isn’t going to happen, my response then is to take that opportunity myself when it next arises & pass the hesitant driver & whatever the vehicle causing the delay.
    The other thing I note is people who pull out to overtake, but don’t accelerate sufficiently & dither about on the wrong side of the road. If you plan to pass, get on with it. Select the correct gear for maximum acceleration & keep accelerating until you have completed the overtake.
    “Saves no time” – you clearly don’t make 150 mile journeys on purely rural roads, no dual carriageways & more B roads than A roads.
    Use more fuel? Really? My car is far more efficient maintaining a steady speed & not having to go up & down the gearbox at every corner or for oncoming vehicles. I’m not saying I expect to maintain a constant speed through every corner, just that some people are ridiculously cautious & slow excessively for every slight corner or oncoming vehicle, when the road isn’t narrow enough to require such slowing.

molgrips
    Free Member

On a slightly more serious note, I would expect someone in a M3 to be able to overtake quite safely somewhere that a perfectly capable driver in a Prius couldn’t dream if it. In that case, I see no reason that the more capable car should wait behind.

Common **** courtesy?

I’m talking about being PREVENTED from going when I could have gone, because someone else has stolen my spot. If someone takes a spot that I can’t take, then fine, whatever.

You people seem to take the default position that everyone else on the road is a dawdling granny. I’m not at all. I learned to drive in the countryside, every journey includes plenty of a-road overtakes. I don’t mind people in fast cars overtaking when they can.

I do however object to people taking my turn away from me. You would object too. When people start charging though willy nilly the whole thing deteriorates into bedlam. Enough ‘fast car’ arseholes in the queue and no-one else can get a look in. This is most definitely not fair, and utterly indefensible.

Having watched & waited & saw safe opportunities pass by due to extreme hesitance & concluding an overtake isn’t going to happen, my response then is to take that opportunity myself when it next arises & pass the hesitant driver & whatever the vehicle causing the delay.

That’s fine – I will do the same eventually. However, that’s not what I’m complaining about. I’m not extremely hesitant, and I take my opportunities. When someone else isn’t helping themselves to them, that is.

Not to mention that flying past someone who’s attempting to pull out themselves AND IS SIGNALLING is clearly ridiculously **** dangerous.

zokes
    Free Member

You’re trying to make me out to be a dawdling old granny or something. I’m not.

No, but given how wound up you’re getting here, it’s no wonder you appear to be a danger to others on the roads with that temperament.

tinybits
    Free Member

I think Molly rams them off the road, mad max style, hence the deaths.

singletrackbiker
    Free Member

That’s fine – I will do the same eventually. However, that’s not what I’m complaining about. I’m not extremely hesitant, and I take my opportunities. When someone else isn’t helping themselves to them, that is.
    Not to mention that flying past someone who’s attempting to pull out themselves AND IS SIGNALLING is clearly ridiculously **** dangerous.

If you’re not being hesitant, how exactly has the car further back on the road managed to have pulled out & by flying by?
    Is it more dangerous to be making the overtaking manoeuvre quickly or for someone who has clearly hesitated to then think that because they have their indicator on, that it is ok to pull into the path of another vehicle?
    If you’re on the motorway & sat at 70mph, passing lorries, faster moving traffic passing you on outside lane & Mr/Mrs 57mph in their car decides to pass lorry & just puts on indicator as they blindly pull into the middle lane straight into your path, forcing you to brake, is that ok too? At least on the motorway you don’t have the possibility of oncoming traffic.
    If you’re intending to pass, then BE PREPARED. Correct gear, road position etc to ensure you can maximise your overtaking opportunity. See too many people drive halfway down a straight before pulling out & then squeezing back in just before a corner, often forcing the overtaken vehicle to brake (that vehicle not altering speed during overtake).
    I also agree that the vehicle will also determine what is “safe” when overtaking. It’s all about what you can safely achieve. There are places I can comfortably overtake in my car that I wouldn’t contemplate in the wifes car.

johndoh
    Free Member

The other thing I note is people who pull out to overtake, but don’t accelerate sufficiently & dither about on the wrong side of the road. If you plan to pass, get on with it. Select the correct gear for maximum acceleration & keep accelerating until you have completed the overtake.

+1

Junkyard
    Free Member

Wow driving threads really bring out the inner bellend in some people don’t they. Yes it’s annoying going really slowly but have you looked at any of the stats about how much difference it actually makes to your journey times trying to ‘make progress’?

Seen so many dodgy overtaking manoeuvres which achieve virtually nothing due to the volume of traffic further up the road. Plus you use a load more fuel and get a load more stressed.
    Shut up hippy and get very aggressive when you drive FFS

Could you not say how good you are at risk perception,. how fast your car is and make other drivers[ making different choices ]out to be inadequate people with small members etc.

Driving threads – its no wonder road rage exists you can feel the pent up aggression on here

Yes many drivers are annoying, many situations hinder and slow you down as it is basically what happens when you share the road with 34.2 million other vehicles.

PS they go fast in a straight line because they can see and they dont know the road. they are not trying to hinder your overtaking they are trying to get to their destination quickly and safely just like you. Not knowing the corners means they drive slower round them which is sensible. Remember you should be able to stop in the distance you can see round a bend

Braking for oncoming traffic just makes me pull back from them as they are clearly not amongst the best or safest drivers. I see little point in buzzing drivers of this ability level.

hels
    Free Member

It’s Pointless Overtaking that I don’t understand.

I often drive on rural roads and really can’t be arsed overtaking a lot of the time (so I sit well back to leave room for others), the opportunities are few and many times some idiot has pulled a dodgy move in a dubious gap, I then catch up with him at the next set of traffic lights on the way into town. So he gained about a metre on me.

Then there are the dorks who insist on bullying their way past, my speed not varying from 55-60, then SLOW DOWN. Why ?? Why ??

Some folk just have to be at the front, it’s a character flaw no matter what you tell yourselves about making progress, time is money etc.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you’re not being hesitant, how exactly has the car further back on the road managed to have pulled out & by flying by?

By being reckless.

Or, if they have a faster car, just as I look in my mirrors they simply floor it, despite me indicating. I’m not going to risk an accident by pulling out to overtake and forcing them to wait behind me.

I check my offside wing mirror before pulling out to overtake, because I can’t be sure that some nutter isn’t alongside be, before it was safe.

It’s reckless lunatics that I am complaining about. We all know they are there, and we all dislike their actions. The question is, are you one of them?

If you’re intending to pass, then BE PREPARED. Correct gear, road position etc to ensure you can maximise your overtaking opportunity.

Is this aimed at me? If so, spare me the driving lecture ffs. I know how to do it. Of course, you’ve then got the issue that if you drop back to see and be safe someone else takes a dangerous opportunity to force their way though and occupy the space you’ve created by dropping back. I’m talking about a few car lengths here.

There’s a problem with this thread. Half of us have assumed that the other half are their problem. So the speedies think that we’re dithering grannies, and the sensible people think that the speedies are dangerous lunatics.

Most probably none of us are either.

stumpy01

Driving back from Oakham last Thursday behind one of those drivers who does just under the speed limit, then slows to ~40mph for the slightest bend in the road and any oncoming traffic.
    See, I don’t mind driving at 50/55/60mph so long as it’s consistent but even leaving a fairly large gap, I kept closing up to this car and having to back off every time we got to a bend or oncoming traffic. The constant deceleration/acceleration does my head in as it’s very uneconomical (and unnecessary).
    So – on a hill out of one of the villages, I hoofed it past & was greeted by much flashing of lights from this driver who was obviously not happy that I had the front to overtake on a completely clear bit of road. No doubt I was the ‘hooligan, bad driver’, even though he (assuming it was a bloke) was the one driving erratically.

Overtaking isn’t always about ‘making progress’ and getting somewhere quicker, either.
    There’s an old, chavved up 200SX down the road from me that trundles past in the morning with it’s potato can exhaust belching out blue smoke. From the noise it makes, it’s obviously not happy when cold and sounds like it’s always about to stall.
    Anyhoo. I had the mis-fortune of being behind him one day last week. There’s a short section of NSL between two villages & normally I potter down there; there’s no point accelerating up to 60, as you soon have to brake back down to 30mph for the next village. But, behind this car belching out acrid smoke I decided I’d rather get in front if I could. He was only doing 40 anyway, so I passed him & went on my way. Yes, he was behind me for about the next 3 miles to the nearest dual carriageway so in terms of ‘making progress’ there was no point in my overtake. But it did get me in front of the acrid fumes belching from the back of his car. (And yes, my car does have a re-circ button).

oldbloke
    Free Member

Some folk just have to be at the front, it’s a character flaw no matter what you tell yourselves about making progress, time is money etc.

Not necessarily. Sometimes I drop well back to avoid potential trouble. Sometimes I get ahead of it. Getting 1/2 mile ahead and then seeing in the rear view mirror the person you’ve just passed come round a corner sideways on the wrong side of the road might be good decision making rather than a character flaw.

richmtb

FWIW I’m with the OP.

I drove home from Mallaig to Glasgow last weekend. Must have overtaken 40+ cars on my way home. No flashing lights, no beeping horns.

The key is observation and planning, sit a fair way back from the car(s) you are planning on overtaking, know before you start your move where you are going to pull back in. Already be in the gear you plan to use to overtake. When its clear pull out and accelerate, pull back in without getting too close to the last car you are overtaking or the car you are pulling in behind.

Repeat

Probably got home an hour earlier than I would have if I had just sat behind the first slower car

I saw some horrendous moves ahead of me though. First prize goes to the guy in a Passat who though the best way to overtake a bus was to sit a metre form its bumper and pull out into oncoming traffic to “have a look” every ten seconds or so. Thing is this was on Rannoch Moor where you could safely overtake an aircraft carrier. I sat back and watched him overtake the first bus. When he got to the next one overtook him and the bus.

This might upset Molgrips – the guy did indeed have every intention of overtaking but given his position he would have never seen past the bus to overtake (he also seemed to struggle with his indicators) so I sat back waited for the mile long straight that I knew was just ahead and safely overtook both of them

richmtb

There’s a problem with this thread. Half of us have assumed that the other half are their problem. So the speedies think that we’re dithering grannies, and the sensible people think that the speedies are dangerous lunatics.

Most probably none of us are either.

Is probably the most sensible thing that has been said in 7 pages

singletrackbiker
    Free Member

Junkyard – I never said I was taking corners at excessive speeds. I like my car, I love my family, not about to take undue risks, but some people are excessively slow & cautious. I also made no mention of “buzzing” drivers as you put it. I want to be well clear of drivers who slow for oncoming traffic, allowing plenty of braking distance to allow for their erratic driving & then pass quickly & safely when the opportunity arises.
    Go fast in a straight line? If you can see that another car has caught you up, then it is reasonable to assume they’re likely to want to overtake (but then far too many people seem to make entire journeys without ever looking in their mirrors). If I want to plod steadily, I’ll make space where I can, indicate & slow to allow them an easy & safe overtake. What I don’t do is floor it as they pull out, leaving them stranded outside. TBH I’d rather have them pass me & not have them getting frustrated & getting closer behind me & then maybe make a rash manoeuvre that may endanger me too.
    I do agree with hels – there are some who overtake & then slow down. Really don’t see the point. Often tends to be the “straight line drivers” – hare down the straights & crawl through the corners. Seems particularly applicable to those who don’t know the roads. If I’m unfamiliar with a road, then someone like hels comments above maintaining a steady speed is a godsend, you get to follow at a safe distance & quickly acknowledge that the driver ahead knows the road (easy to tell from manner of driving difference between those pushing things a bit & those who genuinely know the road, just watch braking & cornering actions). So long as I have a comfortable braking distance & feel comfortable with the speed versus road conditions, I’m happy to follow. If it feels too fast, I don’t follow. Very simple.

Aristotle
    Free Member

Drivers should be checking what’s around them constantly. Nobody’s perfect, but you shouldn’t be ‘surprised’ by other people taking overtaking opportunities that you have also seen.

“Indicating” is indicating an intention, it doesn’t provide a right-of-way.

If I’m overtaking a column of bumper-to-bumper vehicles I’m wary of unobservant people pulling out, but I’m also keen to get it over with as quickly as possible. I don’t want somebody, who’s been considering (do I?/don’t I?) a move for the past 30 seconds, dawdling out in front of me, requiring me to slow down on the off-side of the road.

molgrips
    Free Member

the guy did indeed have every intention of overtaking but

Overtaking someone who’s clearly not a good driver but wants to pass, and is pulling out to have a look every few seconds – sounds really risky to me! You’re expecting someone like that to be properly checking their mirrors before making a move?

I don’t want somebody, who’s been considering (do I?/don’t I?) a move for the past 30 seconds, dawdling out in front of me, requiring me to slow down on the off-side of the road.

Yeah that’s why queue jumping can be risky…

richmtb

Who on here indicates to let people past when they are dawdling?

Sometimes I’m a tourist too and if I pootling along admiring the view I’ll indicate to the left and slow down to let faster traffic past.

I also do it for bikes and really quick stuff like Evo’s and Scooby’s

I really appreciate it when people do it for me and always acknowledge my thanks.

I just wish people did it more often, but I guess a lot of parts of our little islands are too crowded.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I’m not saying I expect to maintain a constant speed through every corner, just that some people are ridiculously cautious & slow excessively for every slight corner or oncoming vehicle, when the road isn’t narrow enough to require such slowing.

Yes they do but like i say there ar emillions of road users this will happen with shared roads
    As for buzzing – I was not suggesting you did this – it can be read that way though so I apologise for this
    If they speed up when you move out to overtake they are idiots I assumed they were just going faster not preventing you overtaking once you started

molgrips
    Free Member

Who on here indicates to let people past when they are dawdling?

I do sometimes, and/or just back right off on a straight if someone’s clearly itching to get past. Even if I think they shouldn’t be, since I’m pretty much always driving at the speed limit. The only reason I might not be is if one of my kids is about to puke or something. Or if I am towing.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Like a window into another world this thread… 😐

owenfackrell
    Free Member

First off i have skipped to the end after page 3.
    I cam to the following conclusion the other day. people don’t like anyone getting passed them be it overtake in a car or filter on a bike (either sort) as they are seen as jumping the que which just isn’t british, even if the person going past isn’t having any effect on the que in question.

singletrackbiker
    Free Member

Oh dear, Molgrips seems to think I’m on some sort of tirade aimed at him. Not the case at all, I’m making a generalist observation. Have a read of what stumpy 01 & richmtb describe. It is this type & those who I have described previously, watching half an empty straight disappear before eventually deciding to overtake, that I mean in terms of hesitancy & preparation.
    I’m not a reckless lunatic, but if you drive as I’ve described above, then yeah, I’m that person passing because you took too long to decide to pass or not.
    Again, if you’re going to pass…put your bloody foot down. If your car hasn’t the get up & go to safely deliver you back to the correct side of the road, past the vehicle(s) you intend passing & with a safety margin built in (not diving in as you brake for the approaching corner or to avoid the near miss with oncoming traffic), then don’t pass. Just consider that someone else may be able to pass far more efficiently & make allowance. As my previous comment, happy to make way if others are travelling faster.

theocb
    Free Member

😀
    Some classic road habits in this thread. The drivers who do 40 every where no matter what zone they are in made me laugh.

I think it has been said many times already.. respect each other! If you want to drive slowly or take your time make sure you are not causing others to drive your way.
    If you want to drive quickly and overtake make sure you do it safely without effecting anyone else. Both perfectly safe and reasonable driving behaviours.

The OP is spot on, better driving education is needed (especially for overtaking cyclists; Good average drivers do not seem to understand the dangermouse when cycles need overtaking.)

molgrips
    Free Member

It is this type & those who I have described previously, watching half an empty straight disappear before eventually deciding to overtake, that I mean in terms of hesitancy & preparation.

Yep, that pisses me off too, of course it does. I don’t drive like that.

Again, if you’re going to pass…put your bloody foot down.

Yes that’s also clearly ridiculous. Although, a friend after about 30 years of marriage discovered that his wife who’d been driving since 17 or so didn’t actually know you were supposed to change down to overtake…..

The OP is spot on, better driving education is needed

Yep, both in this and in how to merge onto motorways and DCs on sliproads… 👿

fourbanger
    Free Member

I’m talking about being PREVENTED from going when I could have gone, because someone else has stolen my spot.

It’s a flow of traffic, not a queue. You don’t have a spot.

unklehomered
    Free Member

For what its worth I would rather have you over take than have you trying to mate with the back of my car all the bloody way home which I find distracting, especially at night in 4×4 with the beams too high… I will overtake when I feel I can but in a bog standard diesel Mondeo on country roads I much prefer to play it safe than chance it. What is alarming is people who just pull out, then start indicating, usually you can spot these poeple a mile off (pie chart on the front of the car, or interlocking rings and they’ve been romping up the road behind you), sometimes they can take you by surprise. But if you’re a twonk in a powerful car with poor regard for road safety, I’d rather have you the hell away from me and mine thank you.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Some classic road habits in this thread. The drivers who do 40 every where no matter what zone they are in made me laugh.

I followed someone in an Audi of all things from Nidderdale to Ripon last week, 35 the WHOLE WAY – combination of snow drifts and oncoming traffic so no overtaking chance I was willing to take, even once in Ripon and in the 30 zone – 35. Mind boggling. I still ended up next to him in the traffic lights. Tried not to gorp, “what kind of person are you?” Not angry, just fascinated.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s a flow of traffic, not a queue. You don’t have a spot.

Disagree.

Why would it not be a queue? If we’re all waiting to overtake, and have been sat there for 10 mins, why should you get to go first when you’ve only just arrived?

unklehomered
    Free Member

Why would it not be a queue? If we’re all waiting to overtake, and have been sat there for 10 mins, why should you get to go first when you’ve only just arrived?

special badge on front of car?

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 1,153 total)

The topic ‘Overtaking.’ is closed to new replies.