Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • out of my depth in this….Laptops!!
  • DrP

I’m not computer illiterate by any stretch, just haven’t loked about for a long time!

I’ve googled, but TBH I (usually) respect the views and opinions of you lot!

So…
    Lenovo Ideapad Z580 any good?
    I’ve seen this model for £429, so not a bad price really.

Only need it for ‘work stuff’, maybe the odd game, and document writing.
    Oh, memory map, maybe simple picture and vid editing too etc etc too…

I’ve been getting along fine with a netbook, but that’s currently nil-by-mouth and soon to be put on the LCP..

Acer laptops look good as well, but a bit pricier..

Hopefully this is more than just a ‘what laptop’ request, as my gaming needs aren’t that high.

Any views on the Ideapad, or other suggestions?

aracer
    Free Member

I have no idea about that particular model, but in general Lenovos are decent quality and well put together, with good support (I’m typing on one which I had to get the MB changed on, which you might think bad, but it’s the sort of thing which can happen to any – the customer service I experienced would definitely encourage me to buy another). They are (or at least used to be) one of the default brands for business – good if you’re typing a lot as they have some of the best keyboards. I’d not normally expect them to be that cheap, so if it is a good price for the spec, you could probably do far worse.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Agreed Lenovo customer support is great we just bought 25 Lenovos and 2 had slight hardware issues, IBM engineer turned up the next day and fixed both small issues straight away.

I wouldn’t buy Win8 though! Not until 8.1 is available.

you could get a cheap one with a lesser Graphics card unless your doing lots of video editing?

matt_outandabout

I am typing this on a Lenovo Z570 – looks like same case and build.
    Ours is W7, i3 and 6gb ram + 1gb graphics and it flies through stuff. Speed has never been an issue – I would think that spec would be even better.
    More relevant is that it is easy to type on, seems really well built and tough, and has not missed a beat in a couple of years now.
    Only downsides are weight (it is a heavy/big beast), but it rarely travels with us, it is a home use machine. The screen is a bit reflective, but not a huge issue.
    I would buy another straight away if this died.

DrP

you could get a cheap one with a lesser Graphics card unless your doing lots of video editing?

It has integrated graphics….
    Our is likely to be a ‘laptop at home’ type affair too…!

Think I might see if staples will price match, and pick up today…

DrP

matt_outandabout

No, it has proper graphics card on the link you posted. 8)

DrP

Oh yeah…
    The cheaper one doesn’t – probably where the saving is…

DrP

soma_rich
    Free Member

Oh yeah…
    The cheaper one doesn’t – probably where the saving is…

DrP

Worth while saving I would have thought 🙂

cp

Dell Outlet

http://outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/InventorySearch.aspx?brandid=7&c=uk&cs=ukdfh1

For the best bargains, select scratch and dent, and then pick your spec out.

EDIT – gets updated every weekday afternoon between 2 & 3 with the latest availability. The very best spec ones move quick, and there’s a high turn over, so check back a couple of times & act quickly if you find one you want.

DrP

Went for this one in the end – good spec, 2 year warranty, johnny-lou lou, so get a free coffee when I pick it up etc etc!!

Cheers all

DrP

aracer
    Free Member

I think the STW collective will approve. Good call buying from JL as well. Personally I suspect I might do as cp suggests next time I buy, but it’s not for everybody.

matt_outandabout

nice one.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘out of my depth in this….Laptops!!’ is closed to new replies.