Home Forums Bike Forum OS Maps app update…..Boo!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • OS Maps app update…..Boo!
    perran

Anyone here use the OS Maps app? It’s the main app I use to plan all my rides and I really like it. One useful feature was the map overlays, particularly the “Open Access land” one, but it now seems to have disappeared with the latest update. So I’m just wondering if they’ve moved it and I’m not seeing it or has it actually gone?

jam-bo

It’s looks like it’s in the green space layer on mine.

jimdubleyou

Ditched it. Already got strava, so will try fatmaps this year.

nuke

I still can’t cope following the format changes to the BBC News app and that was last year…. don’t think i can take a big change to another of my regular apps 😩

cp

Not updated the app yet, but when I saw the email earlier with the line “revamped the look and feel of OS maps to be more modern, user friendly…..” I thought that doesn’t sound good!  That usually corresponds to worse user experience IME!

EDIT – update doesn’t seem to be available yet on Android.

bikesandboots

“revamped the look and feel of OS maps to be more modern, user friendly…..”

Best user experience improvement app developers can make – stop bloody overhauling the damn thing every year or two. Stop redesigning the menus every few months too, changing where the buttons are, changing the icon, etc.

andrewh
    Free Member

Has anyone ever logged on to any website, seen that it’s changed and thought ‘oh that’s good, I really like this new one’?

Or do we all just click ‘use classic view’ and stick with that so that we can actually find stuff?

Spin
    Free Member

Have they actually managed to make it worse? That would have taken some doing as it’s an awful app.

garage-dweller

Has anyone ever logged on to any website, seen that it’s changed and thought ‘oh that’s good, I really like this new one’?

For years this was true as we learned about better UI’s and how to lay things out on smartphones etc. Now it’s fiddling for the sake of it.

At some point you reach a point where stuff works well with a solid user base and that’s when you need to stop chopping and changing major elements unless you have a good reason.

Maybe the demographic here is different but I want my apps to be functional and have a decent UI – I don’t need the UI to match a pair of Hunter Wellies.  I suspect part of the challenge is maintaining “wow” in an increasingly competitive app market place?

Can you imagine this in aviation  …

Hi pilots

In our latest cockpit refresh we’ve put the throttle controls on the back of your seat, the stick is now an Xbox controller and the landing gear buttons are hidden behind a curtain on the left or is it right?

We found hardly anyone was using the emergency button so we’ve put it at the back of a locked filing cupboard in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying beware of the leopard.

We have also removed certain flight instruments that you use regularly for no obvious reason.

perran

It’s looks like it’s in the green space layer on mine.

Yeah that’s the layer that seems to have disappeared now. I cant see it on my desktop or IOS?

Bruce

The online offering crashes regularly while I am plotting routes, this happens on Apple, Windows and Chrome book.

I don’t think I will renew unless it starts to work better. Might be better to focus on making it work instead of changing it.

jam-bo

V4.6.5 and it’s there on mine.

perran

V4.6.5 and it’s there on mine.

Ah yeah sorry, its the desktop version its been removed from.

Rich_s

Can you imagine this in aviation …

Hi pilots

In our latest cockpit refresh we’ve put the throttle controls on the back of your seat, the stick is now an Xbox controller and the landing gear buttons are hidden behind a curtain on the left or is it right?

Well, yes. That seems to match Boeing’s design and rollout for the max-8. And 9.

goslow

i’m hoping the update will improve things. If I have a few offline maps the app just wasn’t usable.

b33k34

Thanks for the tip.  I have maps for my frequent riding areas (codes from paper maps).  Their app updates inevitably log me out, which also removes the offline maps…

So when I DO need to use it, often in an area with crap reception, theres about 50-50 chance they’ll actually be there.

kayak23

I didn’t actually update the app but it seems to have updated itself to the new one.

Trying not to damn it right away but not keen just yet.

Seems to me they’re trying to make it more appealing to people that are maybe not so geeky about maps with the symbol changes and suggestions etc.

Can’t blame them I suppose but I really don’t need all that stuff popping up in the middle of nowhere every time I open it.

I’m going to give it a bit of a go before I launch into full moan I think 😊

dovebiker

Also lost the crosshairs button where you’d press it and it would centre on your current location – I don’t usually use routes, I just use the app to check where I am

montgomery
    Free Member

It’s just been changed from a crosshair to an arrow icon.

montgomery
    Free Member

Downloading maps for offline use is easier.

Spin
    Free Member

Major failings of the app for me are:

• Doesn’t show altitude on a tag
    • No ‘track up’ function when following a route.
    • Snap-to-path function not based on paths shown on Landranger or Explorer maps.
    • Doesn’t seem to be a way of uploading a gpx in the app, only online.

These might sound like small things and you can work round them but they’re really annoying.

bens
    Free Member
    Spin

Free Member

Major failings of the app for me are:

<ul style=”box-sizing: border-box; –tw-border-spacing-x: 0; –tw-border-spacing-y: 0; –tw-translate-x: 0; –tw-translate-y: 0; –tw-rotate: 0; –tw-skew-x: 0; –tw-skew-y: 0; –tw-scale-x: 1; –tw-scale-y: 1; –tw-scroll-snap-strictness: proximity; –tw-ring-offset-width: 0px; –tw-ring-offset-color: #fff; –tw-ring-color: rgb(59 130 246 / 0.5); –tw-ring-offset-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-ring-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-shadow-colored: 0 0 #0000; margin: 0px 15px 15px; padding: 0px; background: 0px 0px; list-style: none;”>
    <li style=”box-sizing: border-box; –tw-border-spacing-x: 0; –tw-border-spacing-y: 0; –tw-translate-x: 0; –tw-translate-y: 0; –tw-rotate: 0; –tw-skew-x: 0; –tw-skew-y: 0; –tw-scale-x: 1; –tw-scale-y: 1; –tw-scroll-snap-strictness: proximity; –tw-ring-offset-width: 0px; –tw-ring-offset-color: #fff; –tw-ring-color: rgb(59 130 246 / 0.5); –tw-ring-offset-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-ring-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-shadow-colored: 0 0 #0000; background: 0px 0px; margin: 0px; list-style: disc; flex-grow: 0; width: auto;”>Doesn’t show altitude on a tag
    <li style=”box-sizing: border-box; –tw-border-spacing-x: 0; –tw-border-spacing-y: 0; –tw-translate-x: 0; –tw-translate-y: 0; –tw-rotate: 0; –tw-skew-x: 0; –tw-skew-y: 0; –tw-scale-x: 1; –tw-scale-y: 1; –tw-scroll-snap-strictness: proximity; –tw-ring-offset-width: 0px; –tw-ring-offset-color: #fff; –tw-ring-color: rgb(59 130 246 / 0.5); –tw-ring-offset-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-ring-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-shadow-colored: 0 0 #0000; background: 0px 0px; margin: 0px; list-style: disc; flex-grow: 0; width: auto;”>No ‘track up’ function when following a route.
    <li style=”box-sizing: border-box; –tw-border-spacing-x: 0; –tw-border-spacing-y: 0; –tw-translate-x: 0; –tw-translate-y: 0; –tw-rotate: 0; –tw-skew-x: 0; –tw-skew-y: 0; –tw-scale-x: 1; –tw-scale-y: 1; –tw-scroll-snap-strictness: proximity; –tw-ring-offset-width: 0px; –tw-ring-offset-color: #fff; –tw-ring-color: rgb(59 130 246 / 0.5); –tw-ring-offset-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-ring-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-shadow-colored: 0 0 #0000; background: 0px 0px; margin: 0px; list-style: disc; flex-grow: 0; width: auto;”>Snap-to-path function not based on paths shown on Landranger or Explorer maps.
    <li style=”box-sizing: border-box; –tw-border-spacing-x: 0; –tw-border-spacing-y: 0; –tw-translate-x: 0; –tw-translate-y: 0; –tw-rotate: 0; –tw-skew-x: 0; –tw-skew-y: 0; –tw-scale-x: 1; –tw-scale-y: 1; –tw-scroll-snap-strictness: proximity; –tw-ring-offset-width: 0px; –tw-ring-offset-color: #fff; –tw-ring-color: rgb(59 130 246 / 0.5); –tw-ring-offset-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-ring-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-shadow-colored: 0 0 #0000; background: 0px 0px; margin: 0px; list-style: disc; flex-grow: 0; width: auto;”>Doesn’t seem to be a way of uploading a gpx in the app, only online.

The possible solution here is Outdoor Active. It’s not without its own faults but if you can ignore those, it’s pretty good otherwise. Only downside is that you need a ‘Premium’ subscription to use OS maps which is probably fairly unappealing if you’ve already got an OS maps subscription.

Snap to track works in whatever map layer you’re looking at at the time. You can start plotting a route along  a BW on an Explorer OS map then switch map source and continue your plan along random trail that features on the built in maps but not on OS, then go back to OS maps and carry on along your bridleway.

Following a route can be done with route up and if does turn by turn voice guidance that (sort of) works really well even off road.

It likes to confuse you now and then by using random units for distance. Even though I have it set to metric units I’ll get the occasional

“In 373 feet, turn left onto the bridleway”

By the time I’ve worked out how far 373 feet is, I’ve usually gone passed the turning.

noneoftheabove
    Free Member

I’m still struggling along with the aweful Outdoor Leisure app as its the only ‘decent’ one with a proper map layer for Android Wear. I’d be happy to jump ship as soon as anyone can point me to something better. It wouldn’t be so bad if the original Viewranger hadn’t existed and been ruined.

scotroutes

Doesn’t seem to be a way of uploading a gpx in the app, only online.

Save the gpx file to your phone.

Go into your file manager to select it.

Select OS Maps as the app to open it with.

Spin
    Free Member

Save the gpx file to your phone.

Go into your file manager to select it.

Select OS Maps as the app to open it with.

Excellent, thanks for that. It would however, be better if they just had an ‘import gpx’ button!

montgomery
    Free Member

Once you’ve done it it’ll just open gpx files as the default app. Snap-to seems to work quite well now. Offline maps download more reliably, rather than breaking mid-download. I’m sure there’s a fix for tags and track up issues – but I don’t know what they are…..for someone like me who just uses the app as essentially a giant scrolling map of the UK, with user-definable offline map sheets that I can take into places with no signal, plus the ‘where-am-I?’ get-out-of-jail card, it’s pretty good. I wish I didn’t have to sometimes force it to access the offline maps by going into aeroplane mode, but that’s a minor criticism.

Spin
    Free Member

The new version also doesn’t seem to offer the grid ref search facility when offline. Pretty sure the old one did.

jekkyl

I use it as my main mapping app now for hikes and hikes and it has lost a very important feature with the update, at least for me.

When you downloaded a route previously you didn’t need any mobile signal for it to work, very important if you’re deep in the hills somewhere.

Now, even with the route downloaded when you start the app you just get a black screen. Very annoying when you’ve just started the hike and there’s a fork in the path.

The work around is to take a paper map or screenshot the route with map when at home but the facility to see exactly where you is what is wanted and what is missing.

Fortunately even the smallest scrap of mobile signal is enough to get the map up, so you can sometimes get it as you climb, but it doesn’t work as it did and should do.

I am using an iphone, anyone else get this? I have left a review with the question on the app store but as yet no response.

montgomery
    Free Member

Worked fine for me last week with no signal. Like I said above, you just need to go into aeroplane mode then open the app. Stops it hunting for a signal that it won’t find.

jekkyl

Brilliant thanks Uncle Monty, I’ll give that a go.

Spin
    Free Member

Like I said above, you just need to go into aeroplane mode then open the app. Stops it hunting for a signal that it won’t find.

That’s now working for me which it definitely wasn’t before.

So my complaints are down to, no track up, no altitude on tags and the clunky snap to path!

I suspect the snap to path works better in Englandshire and paths that get more traffic in general.

scotroutes

Snap-to-path seems to be using an “invisible” OSM layer. I don’t know how often Ordnance Survey update theirs but I’m going to make a change to OSM near me and then monitor it on OS. I also don’t know what happens to your “offline” copy of the map when there’s an OSM change. I suspect it’s not synchronised.

FWIW, Komoot update their OSM mapping every couple of weeks.

winston2005

Yeah, good old OS maps tried to stiff me on my subscriptionn renewal. Pretty certain it was increasing from 23 quid to nearer 40 quid.

Didnt renew and a week later they are offering 30% off.

scotroutes

I renewed fairly recently and it was less than £30

mrchrist

Seems ok to me.

Agree they should do major overhauls for the sake of it every year or 2. Don’t think the UI has improved. Seems to require more click to do what you use to do.

matt_outandabout

Is it me or is it missing the ‘centre on me’ button?

kayak23

It’s now an arrow 👆

DickBarton

@jekkyl, I had that on a previous version…downloaded the map the night before on WiFi. Checked in car park that it was working (it was), got 20 minutes in and just a white screen… absolutely refused to load (zero phone signal). Got back to car park a few hours later and it worked instantly.

Has only happened once for me, but I have noticed a slowness to load the maps when browsing around, all seems to be working but takes a bit longer for the map to load.

swanny853

On iOS at least you can sidestep having to use airplane mode by turning off access to mobile data for OS maps in settings. Can still download maps at home over wifi.

montgomery
    Free Member

I notice in the settings now (Android) there is an option to ‘show offline areas on map.’ I’ve enabled it, be interesting to see what happens next time I don’t get a signal.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.