Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Ornithologist types – can you identify these birds for me?
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

I have an idea but would appreciate your input. I realise the picture is biz.

devash
    Free Member

Probably starlings.

Nico
    Free Member

Might be fieldfares or redwings. Pic is in silhouette, so next to useless.

woody2000

Yep, they’re birds.

Birdicus crapshot to be precise 😉

chorlton
    Free Member

Waxwing are Starling sized.

bodgy
    Free Member

Tits. Not sure about the birds though.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Baby Robins.

Nico
    Free Member

Waxwings is a possibility if on the east coast.

bikebouy
    Free Member

If they’re bird shaped, they’re birds.

But Starlings is my guess.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Definitely not starlings.

The most central bird has a crest – this can be seen even though it is a crap pic.

I’m going waxwings as they have been sighted in our town recently.

chorlton
    Free Member

I’m in Rossendale, East Lancs and there’s been quite a few Waxwing sightings here.

thepurist

What sound were they making? Easier to recognise a lot of birds by their call than from a couple of pixels on a phone screen. But having a crest narrows it down, probably waxwing unless you were peering at a cockatoo

derek_starship
    Free Member

I wasn’t there at the time. Mrs. S took the picture with her phone as she knew they were something different. I’m in Salford but there have been recent sightings in places where they’re not often.

I wish they weren’t waxwings as then I wouldn’t have missed them. If you catch my drift.

nbt

starling sized + crest = likely waxwings.

Redwing & fieldfare slightly bigger, no crest

chorlton
    Free Member

Some Waxwing pics from the Rossendale birding site this week. I’ve been riding through this area twice a day for the past few weeks and still haven’t seen them myself.

[/url][/img]

[/url][/img]

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Chickens?

molgrips
    Free Member

Waxwings, are they the ones that sit in a tree in a bunch, then all drop out of it together, eat something off the floor and then all fly back up into it? Watched these for hours* in Finland. Apparently they migrate southwards from the Arctic over the winter eating all the berries as they go – the worse the summer has been for berries, the further south they have to go. Good summer, they don’t make it this far south. In Helsinki they were everywhere for a few days then they’d moved on.

* minutes

eckinspain
    Free Member

penguins?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ostriches. Definitely.

scaredypants

I’m thinking:

councilof10
    Free Member

I’d go with Waxwings… Lovely little birds.

I had a Little Egret in my garden this morning – that was a first! Quite a rare sight up here in the North…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well looks like Waxwings as you’ve mentioned, quite a fabulous looking bird. Can’t say I’ve ever seen one. Lucky people.

nosedive
    Free Member

Could be waxwings. Had 50 at the end of my road all week in Sheffield. Superb. I keep being late for things because I stop to watch them

cyclingmev
    Free Member

RSPB burdwatch is going to get some good feedback this weekend from STW-ers (not that I’ve a clue what they are!) 😀

unovolo
    Free Member

I reckon at this time of the year they are most likely friggin cold!

Oh and my guess is baby Pterodactyls

bodgy
    Free Member

Saw a flock of Peewits/Lapwings yesterday – lovely birds in flight and on the ground. Made myself late watching them.

Esme
    Free Member

An irruption, according to the BBC.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Egrets? I’ve had a few.

Nico
    Free Member

Egrets? I’ve had a few.

Too few dimensions.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

You lot know your jizz.

Stainypants

When I was a kid i used to birdwatch a lot but get didn’t much out of Leeds. One added bonuses of spending my weekend in the hills biking or running is I get see wildlife I couldn’t have dreamed off as a kid.

Never seem a waxwing though

Klunk
    Free Member

no getting rid of this gang of freeloaders ! 🙂

chorlton
    Free Member

no getting rid of this gang of freeloaders

Baby Magpies?

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Probably waxwings.

At our old house we’d get a flock descend on us in cold winters.

They’d hang around for a few days, strip the berries off the trees, then move on.

Great to see them.

CountZero

Almost certainly waxwings, if that centre bird has a crest as it appears to have; only bird of that size which has one, and they appear in fairly large flocks, as do fieldfare and redwing, both of which are species of thrush, and are winter visitors like waxwings.
    Not seen any waxwings around this year, but I’ve seen some fieldfare and redwing around, some were hopping around by the side of the road at South Mimms services yesterday, shame there weren’t waxwings with them.
    Such a stunning bird.

Klunk
    Free Member

Much too timid to be a bull ! 😀

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Any help here? Small light brown all over bird, smaller than a Robin. Quite rotund and fluffy,has a distinctive pencil thin tail which whilst not long looks longer than most, the tail that is.

twicewithchips
    Free Member
    YoKaiser
    Free Member

same chubbiness but tail maybe a little bit shorter and all brown. Everything else is bang on though.

muggomagic

Check out Sand Martins, stonechat or wren. It could also be a juvenile Robin (purposely avoided saying baby robin)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Ornithologist types – can you identify these birds for me?’ is closed to new replies.