Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Original Apple "smartphone" ad…
  • bob_summers

I don’t know if I imagined this but I thought I saw an 80s advert (linked from here I think) for a home phone/organiser made by Apple. I think it was a prototype or concept rather than an actual product. Anyone know what I mean? I wanted to show it to the kids this morning but can’t bloody find it.

cranberry
    Free Member

Are you thinking about the Apple Newton ?

bob_summers

It was more like a home phone than a tablet. I remember the bloke speaking to it and it reminded him to call his mum. Jesus I hope Iddidn’t dream this…

maccruiskeen

It wouldn’t have been part of the Apple Collection would it? 😆

maccruiskeen

Actually is this what you’re thinking of

atlaz
    Free Member

I did computer science at Uni and one of our professors got one of the first few Newton’s into the UK. Was very impressed with it at the time.

bol

I’ve got one of the first Newtons. I remember it being described as pocket sized. I dug it out of the loft the other day to show my daughter what technology looked like in the old days, and realised that pockets must have been bigger back then.

Best thing about it was that you could put it next to your landline and it would pulse dial your contacts. Very high tech.

turboferret

I remember using my computer to do the pulse dialing when at uni using a calling card where I had to put in about 17 digits including pauses 🙂

Cheers, Rich

sharkbait
    Free Member

I had a Newton 130….. Loved it but it was BIG!

bob_summers

had to go into class, thanks for the suggestions. Maccruiskeen, that phone looks like the one, and I’m sure I’ve seen a TV advert for it.

Thinking about it, it must’ve been a concept as the guy in the ad is talking to it interactively . Maybe I just imagined the whole thing!

bob_summers
    bencooper
    Free Member

Best thing about it was that you could put it next to your landline and it would pulse dial your contacts. Very high tech.

I had a Casio watch that would do that – in fact it’s still in the attic. Tone-dialing, though, not pulse 😉

I went to a pre-launch demo of the Newton – it was astounding. This computer that would actually fit in your hand! And it had a stylus!! And it could recognise your handwriting if you wrote slowly in block capitals!!!

maccruiskeen

Thinking about it, it must’ve been a concept as the guy in the ad is talking to it interactively

My dad used to work for a local education authority (in the days before ofsted) and was involved equipping schools with their first computers. In one of the first schools a kid was invited by the teacher to ‘put your name in the computer’ so she stood in front of the keyboard of a BBC Model B and enunciated loudly and clearly ‘My name’s Alice… Alice!… Aaaaaaa-lice’

CountZero

In one of the first schools a kid was invited by the teacher to ‘put your name in the computer’ so she stood in front of the keyboard of a BBC Model B and enunciated loudly and clearly ‘My name’s Alice… Alice!… Aaaaaaa-lice’

Obviously a prophet, anticipating Siri! 😀

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Original Apple "smartphone" ad…’ is closed to new replies.