Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Orange Gringo drop outs – odd spacing?
  • tron
    Free Member

I've just got round to putting together a Gringo (2001 or so model) for a mate, and the rear drop out spacing is massive – 10mm or so wider than a 135mm hub.

You can give them a bit of a squeeze and fit the wheel fine, but it's a bit of a faff. Is this an attempt by Orange to make sure the back wheel stays in if your QR comes undone or what? It's an alloy frame so it's not likely to have been respaced. I also doubt it's been built for big DH hubs given it's a hardtail that originally came with an Alivio group and WTB XC wheels.

coatesy
    Free Member

Sounds like a bent frame, they weren't designed to be like that. May as well use it though, the worst that'll probably happen is it may eventually crack due to stress, nowt to lose if it's twonked anyway.

tron
    Free Member

The frame appears straight enough when checked over by eye. It's as if the rear end has been respaced, but I can't see why anyone would do that…

tron
    Free Member

Any other ideas? Had another look at it today – doesn't seem bent.

bullroar
    Free Member

I took the rear wheel out of my Gringo of similar vintage and measured the distance between the drop outs. Internal dimension was 140mm, due to dodgy tape measure and eyes allow a tolerance on that of a couple of mm less.

Waderider
    Free Member

I have a 2000 Gringo that is spot on 135mm.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Any other ideas?

The spacing is out, that's it, you're just gonna have to queeze the wheel in there!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Orange Gringo drop outs – odd spacing?’ is closed to new replies.