Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Orange Five Mk2 triple ring setup
  • willathon
    Free Member

I have recently bought a new mk 2 orange five and want to know if I can fit a triple ring crankset. Orange website says the bike is designed for double rings only, but is anyone using triple rings. Also, if it will accommodate a triple ring then what size big ring is best suited for 650b wheels- 42t or 40t My last bike was a Marin running 3×9 on 26 inch wheels with 44t. Cheers. Ian.

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Think newest 5 is single ring only see latest build thread from Mosey MTB on here.

S_J
    Free Member

You can run the current Five with 2x, I’ve ridden one with a 2×10
    Set up so I know it works! See no reason why a triple wouldn’t work

aroyalnit
    Free Member

I built my mk2 frame with an existing standard slx triple chainset I had, shifting was fine. I’ve since converted to a double / bash setup, no real need for the outer ring on that bike 🙂

willathon
    Free Member

Thanks for your advice. Much appreciated. So you know, I will fit a triple now I know it fits. I need the bigger ring simply to go faster DH. The double and bash big ring is only 32t and just doesn’t provide the sheer speed that a 44 will. Thanks again.
    What tooth big ring is best for 650b wheels, 40 or 42.
    Cheers.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

My MK2 has no front mech compatibility so is single ring only.

bluebird
    Free Member

According to the Orange website you can use an e-type front mech on a Mk II.

andyg1966

Depends how new the MK2 is. Very latest ones are single ring front only. They deleted the cable guides, stops and derailler mount.

If you have these mounts then is an E2 mech and they all seem to be 2×10 or 2×11

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Check my thread.

The new, new one doesn’t have e-type mounts

I spoke to Orange about this, they said they were updating the webpage.

willathon
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice and the picture. My frame is the 2015 mk2 frame and does have the mounts on the frame to fix the mech to it – now all I’ve got to find out is if the mech fitted with the bike can be adjusted to work a triple ring. It is supposed to be an SLX according to the spec sheet so if it is the bog standard SLX then it should be do-able.
    It will be a week or two before I get to it but I will update the forum to say how I get on with it.

andybrad

etype can mount around the bb.

bluebird
    Free Member

Wow, 1 x 11 seems a bit of a limiting choice for a bike like the Orange 5. Glad I found this out. I was just about to get one for my wife, there’s no way she’d be happy riding 1 x 11.

Burchy1
    Free Member

Mosey does the frame in your picture have cable guides for a front mech?

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Burchy looking at the pics on Moseys MTBs thread and I think the top tube guides would be on driveside, nothing on Moseys

Burchy1
    Free Member

Tricky, just had a look at the other thread, you’re right, no guides. Wish i’d have waited a few extra months. The e-Type mount collects mud on mine!

chestrockwell

Wow, 1 x 11 seems a bit of a limiting choice for a bike like the Orange 5. Glad I found this out. I was just about to get one for my wife, there’s no way she’d be happy riding 1 x 11.

Pretty sure you could still source one with the mount, at least for the time being.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Yep, no mounts. Orange sorted me out with a new drivetrain as the site sells the frame as old.

bluebird
    Free Member

Pretty sure you could still source one with the mount, at least for the time being.

I’ve tried a couple of shops, but no joy in small

rickon
    Free Member

You barely lose any easy gearing with 1×11, using a triple or a double isn’t really gonna give you anything, apart from a lot of the same gear ratios in redundancy.

The Five is really an all day trail bike, which is perfect as 1×11. A triple is great for a touring bike, when you need massive gears for spinning on the road, and need easy gears for big climbs.

42t front ring required for descents? You are Aaron Gwin and I claim my £5.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Orange had smells in with mounts. They offered me one after I told them about the no mech issue on mine.

Give them a ring

Matt24k
    Free Member

I hope MoseyMTB meant smalls rather than smells as I was wondering what kind of smell Orange were offering. A nice refreshing mint to go with his frame colour or a sharp citrus tang to go with their more traditional colour? Or maybe it could mean the smell of a welders smalls? 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

In some ways a triple may be better than a double on a 5 as some of the larger middle/single ring options could foul the pivots (unless the redesign moved them a lot)

The double and bash big ring is only 32t and just doesn’t provide the sheer speed that a 44 will. Thanks again.
    What tooth big ring is best for 650b wheels, 40 or 42.

My last double was 24/39 it gets Damm close though I struggle to remember when I was last spun out up that range where gravity wasn’t taking over

bluebird – Member
    Wow, 1 x 11 seems a bit of a limiting choice for a bike like the Orange 5.

It really really isn’t – a 10-42 with a 32t up front drops 2 1/2 gears from a 24/38 double on 11-36. You can size up to a 34 or down to a 30t to cover one of those ends.

tomhoward

the smell of a welders smalls?

They ride transition 29ers I think, not fives

willathon
    Free Member

Ok. Here is the outcome of my original enquiry.
    My frame (2015 mk2 version) had the mounts for an E2 type front mech. From what is in everyone’s posts the 2016 frame is missing these mounts so it may be impossible to put a front mech on a 2016 mk2 frame.
    I have fitted a new 3×10 speed E2 front mech and a 42 tooth big ring and a new long cage rear mech. The bike now has a triple front ring set up and it all works just fine.
    I am really pleased at how well it all fitted together and how well it works.
    Thanks for the advice.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Orange Five Mk2 triple ring setup’ is closed to new replies.