Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)
  • Orange 5 vs Cotic Rocket
  • roverpig

OK, it’s a pointless debate, but isn’t that what internet forums are for 🙂

So, if you had to choose an Orange 5 or a Cotic Rocket, which would you go for and why?

Cheers,

Andy

timwillows
    Free Member

Rocket coz i would not loose it amongst hundreds of others at the trail park

Northwind

Rocket, because I’m a raging fanboi 😉

They should feel pretty different in use, no substitute for testrides… Still haven’t ridden a Rocket myself but I’d far rather have my Hemlock than a Five so unless they’ve screwed up, I reckon I’d go that way.

But then, I’d build it big and lump and an Alpine would be a fairer comparison… And I do like me the Alpines.

footflaps

Having never ridden either, I can conclusively say that the Rocket is far better looking…..

mr_stru

Well, as I bought a Rocket that’s not a tricky one. Not that I’ve ridden a Five so I can’t compare.

The main advantage that has been pointed out to me of a Five is less bits for mud to stick to. I suspect this only really comes into its own in the sort of grimness of this year’s Mayhem or SITS though.

I can attest to the fact that people wandering up to you and talking to you about your bike is something that happens if you have a Rocket, at least at the moment, so if you’re shy then maybe a Five.

coogan
    Free Member

Neither.

theendisnigh
    Free Member

its true, lots of people talk to you when you have a rocket, so far they have all been nice people, so I like it.

I believe the rocket has been designed by a very talented engineer. Thats why I bought one. The 5 doesn’t have that appeal for me. Neither 5 or rocket are cheap, tbh, if I’d seen On One doing an El Guapo with ccdb and lyrik for 2k I would have gone for that. As much as I love the Rocket, my build cost twice that (don’t tell the wife).

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

You really need to try both don’t you? Only my advice is to try the Rocket 1st cos if you try a 5 1st you won’t bother with anything else. Thats what happened to me anyway.

Northwind

esselgruntfuttock – Member

if you try a 5 1st you won’t bother with anything else. Thats what happened to me anyway.

That happens with loads of Five owners, it’s why they can say “It’s the best bike I’ve ridden” 😉

wallop

It happened to me too 😳

godzilla
    Free Member

I has a demo on a Rocket when I was half way through my Five build, was very impressed and would deffo have had one if I didn’t already have the Five, the only thing i didn’t like was the axle that needed an Allen key to remove the wheel but it wasn’t a deal breaker.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Every time i blink i see a 5 when out trail riding + they are ugly (imo)

Rocket looks good though! 🙂

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

That happens with loads of Five owners, it’s why they can say “It’s the best bike I’ve ridden”

Well you might be right but I’m not female & if I like it (enough) I’ll buy it without going round every shop in town to find anything better.

& if ‘That happens with loads of Five owners’ what does it tell you?

Every time i blink i see a 5 when out trail riding + they are ugly (imo)

Do you watch the mantelpiece when your’e poking the fire as well?

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Do you watch the mantelpiece when your’e poking the fire as well?

Always, i have nice looking women in my life 🙂

Same goes for my bikes, but they have the edge 😉

Northwind

esselgruntfuttock – Member

if ‘That happens with loads of Five owners’ what does it tell you?

Tells me loads of them could well be happier on a different bike. I liked my Scandal, it was the best bike I’d ridden, til I rode a better bike and discovered it wasn’t actually very good at the job I was using it for. If I’d never tried another bike I’d probably still like it, but it still wouldn’t have been very good.

Now to be fair, that’s absolutely fine, but quite a few of the “I didn’t try anything else” people are also raving fanbois, and that’s a bit annoying. Obviously it’s miles better than bike X that they’ve never ridden!

But, maybe getting off the topic 😉 If the question is which bike you’ll like most, the answer is either ride them both, or stop caring.

lemonysam
    Free Member

& if ‘That happens with loads of Five owners’ what does it tell you?

That it really doesn’t matter that much and most bikes are pretty much of a muchness?

bex
    Free Member

Orange 5 works (where/ when/ how [b]I need it to).
    End of argument

roverpig

Some interesting responses here. I note that nobody has actually ridden them both, but I guess we shouldn’t let that stop us pontificating 🙂

Actually I have some sympathy with the notion that, once you find a bike that suits you, you should stop looking. We (or at least I) do seem to spend a lot of time worrying about things that make very little (and often imperceptible) difference to how a bike rides. There is a lot to be said for just getting a bike that won’t let you down and riding the crap out of it, which, ironically, is what first got me thinking about the Five.

Not that I’m really in the market for a new bike. I suspect that both of these options are too bike a bike (i.e. too slack and too much travel) and therefore too much work on the climbs for the sort of all day natural trail riding that I aspire to. My Trance is probably close to ideal for what I need. But it’s fun to dream.

Cheers,

Andy

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I rode my first full suns bike back in 04 it was awesome the best thing I had ridden. So was the next one. After 4 test rides I realised the 1st 2 weren’t actually that good……

chestrockwell

I’ve tried loads of bikes but am on my second 5 because nothing else I’ve tried comes close….. and I don’t drive an Audi or even a BMW 😮

Not had a go on the Cotic though.

emac65
    Free Member

I’d go for the 5,if only because Cotic’s are generally ridden by knob’eds………..

jam-bo

whilst the rocket does look like a blast. my five is the first bike I’ve not got itchy feet over. had it nearly five years now and no real desire to change it.

cy

[pulls up a chair] Don’t mind me 😉

jam-bo

although if your doing trade-ins i’ve got a very battered strange five in battleship grey to offer..

mintimperial

I haven’t ridden either of them but if I had to go for one I’d get a 5 cos you can get them in green, this being the single most important determining factor in whether or not I buy a bike.

If Cotic made a Rocket available in green I’d be in serious trouble.

roverpig

Welcome aboard Cy. I bet it comes as a bit of a shock to realise that you’ve spent your life designing bikes for knob’eds, but there are worse ways of making a living I guess and at least there are plenty of us knob’eds about 🙂

Anyway, since you are here, would you care to expand on the concept of “pop”. I keep reading that the Rocket has lots, but I’m not sure what it is. Does it just bounce off stuff more than other bikes? Would it be fair to say that it has been designed more for having fun for a few hours than for riding all day?

Cheers,

Andy

bigrich

give me one of both, then I’ll tell you.

legend
    Free Member

Oh good, let the arse kissing commence

cy

The whole pop thing is the best way I could describe the ride feel. A lot of suspension bikes I tried (including the Hemlock) feel very stuck to the floor, which once you get a decent amount of travel makes feel hard to get off the ground to hop over rocks or pop across to a different line. I’m sure it’s very effective, but it’s not as much fun as popping off things and being able to play with the bike a bit. The Rocket has that much more than a lot of other bikes. It’s easy to loft and use little kickers without the suspension just smothering them. The other side to this is that you get lots of support when climbing. Most people expect the Rocket to be quick downhill, but it’s the climbing ability that surprises most people. It’s a great all rounder.

Regards having fun for a few hours compared to riding all day, I’m not sure I see the distinction. I try and have fun every time I ride my bike 😉 But slightly less facetiously, I’ve ridden my Rocket on massive rides and it’s been great.

thepodge
    Free Member

Orange & 5 need to be added to the swear filter then we can get a proper discussion going without all the fan boys needlessly chipping in.

Having ridden a five (briefly) as well as other high and forward single pivots (extensively) and never riding a rocket I’d buy the Cotic.

Moving away from a high forward single pivot design has made the single biggest positive improvement to my riding

cy

Feeling amorous Legend? Pucker up big boy 😉

roverpig

OK, so you want the bike to “pop” of things more than most long travel bikes. You could just ride a bike with less travel of course (which would also be lighter), but I guess you still want the travel for the big hits (e.g. when you cock something up). But can’t you just increase the pressure in the suspension of any long(ish) travel bike to get the same effect?

Cheers,

Andy

timc
    Free Member

roverpig – Member

Welcome aboard Cy. I bet it comes as a bit of a shock to realise that you’ve spent your life designing bikes for knob’eds, but there are worse ways of making a living I guess and at least there are plenty of us knob’eds about

Get out of his ar5e 😈

chiefgrooveguru

If you just increased the spring rate you’d lose small bump compliance and the bike would sit too high.

chestrockwell

Orange & 5 need to be added to the swear filter then we can get a proper discussion going without all the fan boys needlessly chipping in.

How would you filter out all the people that bash the 5 just because it’s the thing to do on here though? Plenty more people spam up every 5 thread without having a reason for doing so. Suprised no one’s posted a picture of a filing cabinate yet. Also, tell me how to have a ‘proper discussion’ on a thread titled ‘Orange 5 vs Cotic Rocket’ without fan boys mentioning their experiences of their 5 😕

Yes, yes, I know I’ve taken the bait.

andytherocketeer

With names like that? Rocket of course 😉 (in black, naturally)

timc
    Free Member

thepodge – Member

Having ridden a five (briefly) as well as other high and forward single pivots (extensively) and never riding a rocket I’d buy the Cotic.

Moving away from a high forward single pivot design has made the single biggest positive improvement to my riding

Cant argue with science 😆

timc
    Free Member

roverpig – Member

OK, so you want the bike to “pop” of things more than most long travel bikes. You could just ride a bike with less travel of course (which would also be lighter), but I guess you still want the travel for the big hits (e.g. when you cock something up). But can’t you just increase the pressure in the suspension of any long(ish) travel bike to get the same effect?

Or use something lighter than Steel?

cy

One of the other guys touched on this, but the Rocket is still a properly capable 150mm bike, it’s just got a more playful feel than a lot of other similar bikes. Shorter bikes run out of travel for a given terrain and speed, and running the bike stiffer to hold it up ruins the geometry as it sits too high.

cy

@timc – My Rocket is 30.5lbs with pedals, 3 x 9 gearings, Fox 34’s, Reverb and 2.5″ tyres. It’s not that heavy, is it?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘Orange 5 vs Cotic Rocket’ is closed to new replies.