Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 184 total)
  • Orange 5 – Ultimate 'do it all' bike??
  • toxicsoks
    Free Member

Is it?? Had a quick demo ride and was quite suprised at how agile it was but, there again, I've never ridden/owned a FS. Considering buying a FS for general Moors/Dales/Lakes riding and I've always 'liked the look' of the 5 – having ridden one, albeit for only a short time, I like it even more.
    Opinions?

druidh
    Free Member

If you feel it's important to "buy British" then by all means go ahead, However, check out lots of other options for better vfm.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

If you like it, then yes.

If you don't, no.

I don't like it, so for me it's not the ultimate do it all bike. Also, it depends on your version of "all".

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Love my "5"…

gusamc
    Free Member

my practical gene is shouting, when it comes to bearings less is more…

toxicsoks
    Free Member

gusamc – Yup, that's also what I was thinking…..

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I used to swear by single pivot bikes like oranges – I had a y2k Marin attack trail and then a series of Sub5's and finally a patriot.

They were fine, and easy to maintain, however, IMO a decent linkage bike is a better ride.

Even now, orange rely on a huge dollop of compression damping to isolate pedal bob – Given this and the chain growth they exert, they're great bikes for feeling a bit 'hardtail-like', such a stiffening under power, and skipping, slipping in the same sorts of places as a hardtail, making them feel more 'pert' – I suspect this is one factor why hardtail riders making their first move to suspension can appreciate a similar feel of a hardtail under power, with extra cush and bump control too. Only two bearings to worry about too.

But, for optimal suspension performance, I reckon a decent linkage bike will beat em hands down. Just my opinion like and there are plenty that will disagree.

Fundamentally, it depends on what you prefer, like what tree magnet said. The 5 is certainly a 'Do-it-all bike', but I don't think its the 'ultimate Do-it-all bike', because I don't think there is one – there is only what you get on with best.

Oh, that and, like Pace, if you buy an Orange and something goes wrong, you're pretty much on your own.

nuke

Does the suspension on a 5 remain active whilst braking when descending?

I found the suspension would be almost non-existent on my last single pivot bike (SC Superlight) whilst braking when descending. Put me off trying another single pivot bike.

rob2
    Free Member

try a hemlock – cheaper, more versatile, good customer service, and the new chainstays are solid as f***

firestarter
    Free Member

bearings less is more i agree, thats why i got a turner (well not just that lol) 😉

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

toxicsoks –
    I've never ridden/owned a FS.

that'd a lot of money to spend when you haven't even checked out the oposition!

i'm in two minds about orange. each manufacturer has their own take on rear suspension and several, inc. the biggest giant and trek, utilise the same suspension design across their whole range just changing geometry for 4", 5", 6" travel and so on.

orange offer three different rear suspension systems, obviously trying to cover all bases but logoc tells me they can't all be right. if they're so sure 5 is the best, where does that leave st4 and blood? just a theory and i stand to be corrected.

jam-bo

i really like my 5. i ride everything on it.

i'm sure there are plenty of other good bikes out there but I'm happy with it so unless it snaps i'm unlikely to change it anytime soon.

edit: but then I paid very little for mine, not sure i'd buy one new…

hora
    Free Member

Its overpriced for what it is. Did you test ride it off road?

Not a fan (ex-Five owner).

Does the suspension on a 5 remain active whilst braking when descending?

If you stayed off the rear brake yes. Otherwise its brake-jack time.

You'd have to be a confident/GOOD rider though not to trail your rear brake?

jam-bo

never noticed brake jack on mine but i think its one of those things that tends to be overstated by riders who overanalyse bike performance and underanalyse pilot skill…

nickegg
    Free Member

Brake jack is not that noticeable at all, my previous Marins were far worse IME…..nail on the head there Jambo 😀

As for over-priced…thats rich coming from someone who bought one Hora! Frame only it's about equal to a Santa Cruz Heckler which is far east manufactured in (possibly) larger quantities. Anyway, I loved the 2 Fives i owned and i do believe thats about as good as a single pivot gets.

However, a linkage activated single pivot like my wifes 575 or the horst link (i think) Zesty i now own are that bit better and in the case of my Zesty, has no pedal bob in any gear where as my 5's were both awful in the granny ring and did need constant use of the propedal lever!

I found the new geometery on the 5's that fraction too slack and i rarely found myself using it on local more twisty singletrack but i find the Zesty is great on everything i have ridden so far.

jam-bo

only thing I really don't like on mine is how noisy it is. its like riding a **** drumkit on a rocky DH.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

that'd a lot of money to spend when you haven't even checked out the oposition!
    Yes, yes it would!! Tried a Trance – nice bike but felt 'remote' from it, if that makes sense? – tis also fugly IMO.
    Tried a Spesh Stumpy – seemed sorted but have trouble getting past irrational Spesh prejudice.
    Tried a Scott Spark 35 – seemed lively and involving, coming from a HT. Had an irrational Scott prejudice too but the Spark appears to have changed that.
    NOT TRIED an ST4 tho' – anyone?

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Not tried a Zesty either – ?? reports regarding frame FAIL?

montylikesbeer

I love mine and it gets me out of trouble all the time.

For me I am definitely "over biked" with a 5, but I just puts a smile on my face all the time.

nickegg
    Free Member

I'm not aware of any frame failures…..although i'm sure if you search around you'll find an instance of nearly all frames having suffered from a failure.

Drac

They're very good that's for sure but also so many other good bikes for that price.

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

"if you buy an Orange and something goes wrong, you're pretty much on your own"

eh? ive always found the backup from them is exemplary…examples?

we sell 200 a year and i have had no issues at all…warranty or otherwise… trailbike of the year for is it 3 years now?

best bet is ride one…

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I prefer my Heckler if I'm honest.

nickegg
    Free Member

Like i said….search around and there'll be an example of a frame from any manufacturer failing.

The warranty back-up is important in those cases for sure but i'm not concerned by that thread, interested….yes, concerned….no. You'll always find an instance of a product breaking, unfortuantly the internet can lead to rumours and people often getting facts very wrong.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Why does Hora always pop up slagging 5's off?

I had a 5 spot and hated it; I don't feel the need to share every week.

nickegg
    Free Member

Yeah that was point ScottChegg…..The 5 is a great bike for sure.

After owning 2 i decided i wanted something completely different, simple as that.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

+1 here for

a linkage activated single pivot like my wifes 575 or the horst link (i think) Zesty i now own are that bit better and in the case of my Zesty, has no pedal bob in any gear where as my 5's were both awful in the granny ring and did need constant use of the propedal lever!

My experience to (except wife with 575 sadly LOL). I now have Zesty to. The 5 was very good but there are other options that may suit your weight and riding better. I would not go back to single pivot I think 4 bar horst is far better for how I ride. Started on Marin East Peak a long time ago I shudder as I remember the bob.

nickegg
    Free Member

Yeah…i wouldn't go back to a true single pivot either. I tried it, enjoyed it but found something better. I don't regret owning my 5's and think everyone should at least try one.

Dave
    Free Member

Brake jack?

Learn to ride.

elaineanne
    Free Member

i luv my five !!! fortunately it was the first full sus for me to try cos i couldnt get another bike to fit my short ass ! i had a demo and loved it ..no turning my back on that bike !!!! i do all the 'calder valley' on mine *thats rugged terrain btw*….and trail centres too… its a good all round mountain bike … its very strong too…well done the guys at 'Orange' for making a perfect bike !
    oh and if you ever see my flying around in the home of 'singletrack land' …im on the apple green bike ! nice colour !

Wookster

Its the only bike I would buy again including my ibis mojo, I just love it and have never flet it let me down. I have delt with orange and they were brilliant so I am one happy customer mate cant speak highly enough of the bike or the company.

sparkingchains
    Free Member

It could be argued that a '5' is a less overbuilt patriot/alpine 5 which is a less overbuilt 224. The 224 is one of the most successful downhill bikes ever – not many problems with brake jack on those downhill tracks affecting world cup wins.

I know the amount of travel varies greatly between these bikes and therefore the damping but the overall design is pretty similar.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Dave – Moderator
    Brake jack?

Learn to ride.

Wow, that's a compelling counter argument.

hora
    Free Member

Why does Hora always pop up slagging 5's off?

Because you have to counter those who continually pop up on the same thread wanting to bum it 'cos its made locally'. Balancing out an arguement etc? 🙄

Dave – Moderator
    Brake jack?
    Learn to ride.

Not all frames suffer from such brake-jack if you use the rear brake on a descent though.

Plus I'd like to hear how many peeps on here dont trail their rear brake at somepoint on a technical descent. 😉

After all that though, I can see why some like them. I love my Blur4x but I could also see why somepeople might not get on with it.

Dave, maybe we could arrange a group discount if Jedi came upto teach us?

jedi

its not about the bike you ride.

buy the bike you want not the bike you think you need

Drac

Plus I'd like to hear how many peeps on here dont trail their rear brake at somepoint on a technical descent.

I'd like to know why people trail their brake on a technical descent. Momentum is your friend.

backhander
    Free Member

Momentum is your fried.

???

benji_allen
    Free Member

buy the bike you want not the bike you think you need

Can't argue with that.

Dave
    Free Member

its not about the bike you ride.
    [/I]
    what he said ^^^^

if you liked the Five buy it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 184 total)

The topic ‘Orange 5 – Ultimate 'do it all' bike??’ is closed to new replies.