Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Options for the Alps please – solo rider in first week of September
  • Mintyjim

Hi,
    I’ve been loads of times but always in a group, this year no one I know is interested so I’ve been looking at solo options.

About me – I love techy, dangerous stuff, OK in the air but I prefer fast, steep, rocky, rooty technical riding. I’m generally at the front of the pack without wanting to sound too much like a knob!

Fitness is OK but would prefer a mix of uplifts and pedalling.

I’ve already checked with Trail Addiction and Rivierabike and they’re full that week. Waiting for a response from Bike Verbier but I’m worried it might be a bit too tame (happy to be corrected!).

I’ve been to quite a few resorts over the years and the only one I want to avoid is PDS so I’m happy to have any suggestions.

My apologies for this similar sounding thread but I am only limited to the first week of Sept (31st Aug start).

I’m happy to drive or fly.

Any groups going that week and need a filler? I’m in Cardiff

Cheers

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Drive and sleep in a tent. What I do

scruff
    Free Member

Verbier can be anything but tame, depends what trails they take you on. Phil & Lucy suss the riders skill level out very well early on.

wallop

Bike Verbier always looks super techy to me.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Riding dangerous trails on your own sounds like a Darwin Award Nomination attempt !

That said Chamonix sounds like a good fit

BTW there are plenty of trails in Verbier that are suitable for mere mortals

coogan
    Free Member

The White Room. Best bike holidays I’ve had. Got three spaces left that week too:

http://www.whiteroomchalet.com/sumprices.htm#.UcHqdxYRCRg

b17
    Free Member

Can also recommend The White Room. I’ve ridden with groups made up of individual strangers there (although on hol with my wife) and seen plenty of people turn up alone and get on fine too. Will be back there ourselves in August, despite now living next to the Swiss Alps – looking forward to it!

Spin
    Free Member

Just ride on your own? If you’ve got the savvy and the skills then it’s plenty safe.

edit: or is more of a wanting company issue?

flap_jack
    Free Member

Chamonix. All trails legit in September. Descent from Brevant to valley is 1500m, just crazy, includes some via ferrata with bike on shoulder if you fancy it.

ianv
    Free Member

Valnord is open till mid September. La Molina is open on weekends in September. Both have pretty tech stuff, especially Valnord if you get shown the off piste by the ( very friendly) locals.

Other good options would be switchbacks dh or freeride portugal near olhao in the algarve.

rhysw
    Free Member

Shame you could not go later, we’re off to les arcs end of September with a space in the van and chalet. I’m form Newport and ride with some very quick guys( a few sponsored and a WC DH rider) and are in to the same type of stuff as yourself.

spacecadett
    Free Member

I am in Chamonix from 31st August for a week. Will be riding on my own as the guys I am going with are spending the week climbing Mont Blanc.

Happy to meet up for a few days riding. Never been before, 1st time in the Alps & very excited. Not into down hill, more XC & trail riding.

Mintyjim

Thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated!

The reason I’m after a chalet package deal is that in the evening it’s nice to share in some banter, have a cooked meal and a comfy bed!

I’m quite happy riding alone, I generally do here and my mates are slooooooow when we’re in the Alps, I just enjoy company and I’m a sociable person.

Rhysw – it’s you again?! You bought my Hans Dampf tyre?! Thanks for the offer mate, very tempting, but unfortunately work commitments mean the first week of Sept is my only option.

Spacecadett – thanks to you too, unfortunately I’ve spent too long in Chamonix in the past (renovating my friends chalet) so I’m really looking for somewhere I haven’t been too.

I think it’s going to be The White Room, Stevo’s just come back to me and it looks good!

Thanks again!

rhysw
    Free Member

I’m going to have to make a mental note off your username mate. The white room looks a good choice

chillidave
    Free Member

I was in the same postion but a bit more flexible on dates, still I booked that week with the White Room, hopefully see you there although it sounds like I may be left in your dust!

Mintyjim

Done! Booked The White Room for the week, very excited!

Chillidave – I’ll be on a Nukeproof Mega eating large slices of humble pie I’m sure!

What tyres for The White Room…just kidding.

Rhys, we may even meet on the trails one day!

coogan
    Free Member

Enjoy fella, they will take you on some awesome trails!

You’ll get stuff like this!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Options for the Alps please – solo rider in first week of September’ is closed to new replies.