Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • opposite of MTQG – lights on a budget…
  • hungrymonkey
    Free Member

sure its been done a million and one times, and i’m sure the dx extreme (or whatever they are) ones will be the winner, but… lights on a budget?

budget of around £100, and i want them to run on AAs (i won’t be buying anything which uses a recharger – they’re impractical for 24hr solos). need to include a helmet mount too.

there’s the hope vision 1, 240 lumens – not that bright, but i reckon its enough.

dx something or other – can someone provide me with an appropriate, non-ebay link?

someone suggested diving torches – they use the same tech/LEDs etc, but they’ve been doing so for years, and so are cheaper?

any other ideas?

thanks!

5thElefant
    Free Member

budget of around £100, and i want them to run on AAs (i won’t be buying anything which uses a recharger – they’re impractical for 24hr solos). need to include a helmet mount too.

If you have 8 hours battery life you don’t need a recharger. Or two 4 hour batteries.

edd

I’m selling my Hope Vision 2 lights, £45 posted. They are the enduro version so have two batteries (ie a spare battery). Unfortunately the batteries are definitely well past their best but for £45 it’s a good deal.

EDIT:
    I’ve still got the box and instructions, can take a photo on Saturday. My e-mail is:

z1ppy

Dealextreme’s P7 or XM-L torches tend to run on rechargable 18650 batteries (cheap as chips though, and mine have lasted 3/4 years now), rather than AA’s. Though no doubt it possible to locate one on there site that runs on AA’s…. but you can search it out!

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

5thElefant – more than 8 hours darkenss at relentless, unfortunately! am also hoping to avoid having to buy multiple batteries for it too.

edd – sounds good, but prefer new, tbh 🙂

z1ppy

A Magicshine XML unit with a couple of batteries maybe three would see you through the night (lots of power options on the lights) & would be significantly more light than most units available for £300…
    Smudge was flogging some, and could probably easily supply a couple of spare batteries.

5thElefant
    Free Member

5thElefant – more than 8 hours darkenss at relentless, unfortunately! am also hoping to avoid having to buy multiple batteries for it too.

edd – sounds good, but prefer new, tbh
    Don’t dismiss ‘normal’ bike lights. Stick them on dip and they’ll last a very long time. Not sure what’s on the market at the moment but my £100 home-build setup will do 400 lumens for 25 hours on one battery.

EDIT: This one (mentioned above): here…

6 hours on medium (500 lumens).
    30 hours on low (100 lumens).

Use it on medium and swap to low for slow climbs – job done for £67.

Stu

Tom – Do you really need more than 8 hours burn time for doing three laps and chatting to the marshals? 😆

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i like to think i do Stu 😉

i’ll look into these XMLs – sound interesting, and i’ll try and find smudge’s contact details too.

wish i had the know-how for a home-build!

z1ppy
    steviegil
    Free Member

I have a couple of p7 torches from deal extreme, how does smudge’s set up above compare to them?

z1ppy

Back garden test only, compared to a P7 torch & a P7 Magicshine, it’s significantly brighter & bigger spot – yet to take it out for obvious reasons. Brighter than my Trout Mini too but not by much (last years mini, it might have been upgraded since). I think Trout might have posted a thread about it on here somewhere

steviegil
    Free Member

Cheers buddy, seems like a good buy so I may as well get one:-)

z1ppy

Better info here posted by Trout.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i knew this would get confusing! smudge’s and the torchy ones look good – although i can’t find prices or contact details for torchy yet…

reckon’s there’s plenty to be looking at there!!

chriswilk
    Free Member

I’ve just got a Smudge one for a mate.
    First impressions are that it looks similar to the DX ones, but general build quality is better.
    Light output is good but I’ve not ridden with it yet.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘opposite of MTQG – lights on a budget…’ is closed to new replies.