Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Opinion – soft shell or hard shell ?
  • iainc

I am of the hard shell school of thought, probably through habit over the years – normal winter attire being a long merino base a long sleeved jersey (Endura FS260 at mo) and then a breathable hard shell (Altura Attack)

I am curious about the claims made about Endura Stealth and the Gore version though.

Are they really that much better and in what way ?

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I have both and it’s rare I get the softshell out- I find them all too thick and warm for all but the very coldest rides and because it’s one big thick single layer that’s not entirely waterproof you can’t tweak your temperature as effectively as with several thin layers and a hardshell.

iainc

that’s what I think too, although the only softshell I have is a 3 yr old Endura Air Defence that I don’t wear much at all and I guess they have got better

Junkyard
    Free Member

softshell unless it is absolutely throwing it down much more breathable and I am a sweaty bugger when I ride – even in the attack which I use if it is very wet
    Stealth is fantastic – I have the trousers- and they are completely waterproof and very breathable – tempted by the top but not that well off

AlasdairMc

I find my Rab soft-shell perfect for any cold days where rain is either unlikely or going to fall as snow. Anything where rain is involved requires a hard shell.

However, having just discovered Buffalo for the extreme cold I may have to revise my thinking…

binners

I’m with Junkyard on this. I have two different weight softshells. Cold and **** cold. I don’t bother with a hardshell. Its only a bit of water. Stop being gay 😉

druidh
    Free Member

It has to be VERY wet or a long day before I consider using my Paclite jacket. I reckon the Goretex makes sense if I’m going to be away from the car or civilisation for a while. Otherwise, I put up with getting a bit wet for the better breathability of something like Windstopper.

james-o
    Free Member

‘waterproofs’ don’t work on a bike uless it’s pssing it down. otherwise a softshell every time as they breathe much better. i love montane pertex/pile stuff when it’s really cold. snow’s just an excuse to use it )

audiophile
    Free Member

+1 for Montane pertex stuff. Their Extreme Smock is great for really cold weather biking and comes with vents for when things get sweaty.

iainc

mmmmmm, may think about a Stealth then

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

I’m all about the Gore Phantom – it doesn’t get any better and mine’s still going in contrast to my friends’ Stealths.

I was just in my fave shop (www.flyingfoxbikes.com) and they gave me a code for a mate who lives away to get a discount on Gore gear. It worked once, it might continue working due to the codename (!): SATURDAY

iainc

nutty – code does work ! that said, it can be had for a few quid less elsewhere, but might consider. Thanks

bagpuss
    Free Member

+1 for the Phantom here. I could sweat for England and have boiled in every ‘hardshell’ I’ve ever used. Got two Phantoms now and the version without the removable sleeves, forget the name. Always carry some form of jacket with me though for stops, softshells are OK up to a point but if it gets soaked through and ou have to stop then I find I get cold.

Also using Montane and Mountain Equipment softshells for hill walking.

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

iainc – cool that it still works. Hope he doesn’t mind…! I’ll certainly pass on that the Phantom can be got cheaper elsewhere – he always says that he’s selling them really cheap already so I was thinking that with an additional discount then it would be silly cheap. Sorry, should have checked it out beforehand! Think I got my last Phantom for £102 (15% off?) and got some other jacket (with zipped armpit things) for the same sort of discount. That’s a good option too actually, I’ll try to get the name of it.

ThePilot
    Free Member

iainc, I know they’re super expensive but I’d bite the bullet and get a Stealth. I love mine. So much more breathable than a hardshell (my supposedly super breathable one has gone unused since i’ve had the Stealth), super comfy to ride in – no crisp packet effect – and they keep you dry and warm.
    I got mine off eBay – pretty much unused and only 75quid. Maybe keep you eye out there?
    I’ve only had mine for a few months but have been told not to wash it too often as this knackers it. Am planning on one wash at the end of the winter!
    I’ve got the Stealth Extreme tights too. Really nice product again and not as warm as people say. I mean they’re warm but not overly so IMO.

Junkyard
    Free Member

they are not that warm but that is why I pedla I used mine to -5 last week and was ok- they only get really cold when it rains as they are wet and the water is cold in winter otherwise fine – I have the lites BTW you can get some tights on under mine if required but I hjave never done this yet perhaps If I was in Scotland or it was really cold 8)

palmer77
    Free Member

Snukpak Softie, that’s all.

druidh
    Free Member

I find the Stealth Tights incredibly warm. They’re the original ones – before the Lites were introduced. I can’t imagine cycling in a jacket made of that same material. Oh – I’m in Scotland too, so it does get cold.

Blower
    Free Member

what about the Gore Tool?

just bought mine,seems ok,only tested in once though,so any other people who have one?

iainc

Blower – have a few light soft shells / windproofs already – old Air Defence, MT 500 etc, so the thought of the Stealth was for cold winter days in place of layers and a hard shell. I have never really rated ny Air Defence, even though folk raved about them at the time, so not too sure about an update, although the Stealth is proper waterproof.

Northwind

Soft shell loses for me just because you can’t unlayer it, and it’s not often it’s cold enough that I wear mine- only for long rides in real brutal cold. Layers keep the options open and that’s such a huge advantage.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

+1 for the Stealth. Very well designed, very durable, softshell but mega waterproof.

tang
    Free Member

ive got a northface apex job which is a very light softshell, layer up underneath accordingly(various merino and a primaloft jacket for brass monkey days). i do have a lightweight hard shell in the pack for getting caught in the pouring rain. i put up with all of this by remembering shorts and a thin s/s jersey weather.

hainman
    Free Member

i have a softshell i bought out of tk maxx and it says waterproof to 5000mm/24h what does this mean?is it or is it not waterproof?its a kinda heoprene style softshell rather than the softer type material my wifes regatta one.

akira

Stealth and a baselayer has done me fine this winter, well designed and it does have vents if you get a bit too toasty.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Opinion – soft shell or hard shell ?’ is closed to new replies.