Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • opinion on Boardman cyclocross bike
  • tony24
    Free Member

Looking to get 1 of these what’s people opinion on them? Is the geometry race type or a little more relaxed? Ok for sticking a set of road tyres on and doing all day Riding or to harsh?

Cheers for any help guys

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Been looking at one myself 🙂

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Love mine. Slightly heavier and slacker angled than my old Salsa Chili Con Crosso, which as I don’t race suits me fine. I reckon it’d be fine to race, though there are probably better CX bikes out there for that.

Not especially harsh, I’ve done 2-3 hour road rides with Bonty CX tyres at 90psi and it’s been fine, comfy and not much slower than a road bike.

Recommended by me 🙂

plastic_scotsman
    Free Member

I have one and I think it is an excellent bike. I’ve done all sorts on mine ranging from single track routes, sportives and even a Coast to Coast!!

The SRAM gears suit me and it’s not to racy geometry means you’ll get to see the countryside enroute.

I’ve had a bit of problem with the BB30 bottom bracket but other than that it has been superb.

Buy one as I do not think you will be disappointed.

sefton
    Free Member

great bike, seen these at the 3 peaks and top 10 cx races!

throw some rd tires on and you’ll be rite on the roads too.

well specced no nonsense cx bike

JohnClimber
    Free Member

For about the same money or a little upgrade what about one of these
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBPXXLSF/planet_x_xls_sram_force_carbon_cyclocross_bike

Loving mine

Comfy for 60+ miles no problems (with gel bar tap option) and very fast

chimpymcchimp

I have 25c tyres on mine and use it for commuting. Taking it off road would scare me, big kudos to any CX riders! Think it’s ace. Never had a road bike so can’t compare but it seems fast to me (strava confirms this!). BB30 bb needs replacing after 6 months, but they are only 10 quid for new bearings from wiggle.

If you join British cycling (discount via quidco too) then you can still get a 10% off halfords voucher that makes them even better value.

DougD

Really like mine. Got 3 sets of tyres – the stock cx ones, some heavier duty marathons and some gatorskins so it’s pretty versatile.

Alex

Dymock Woods CX by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

love mine. used for riding to local woods on road and then off road on singletracks in those woods. amazing what you can ride. old cx hasd cantis, this is a lot better.

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Had two in my workshop in the space of a week. Both rode really well. The bb30 has had some probs as stated elsewhere but everything else ok. One word of caution the ritchey wheels are a pain to get spares for in my experience, ended up building up brand new rims following some damage to rear on one of the bikes.boardman branded stuff appears to work well.Many around my area bought through cycle to work schemes and appear to get limited use.

Edric64
    Free Member

I think the uci are banning discs for 2015 though on cross bikes

phinbob

So there goes your chances of winning a national title….

tony24
    Free Member

Went and viewed in tonight and brought it . Very comfortable position wise compared to my old focus mares for the money nothing comes close got it second hand still as New can’t wait to ride it !

Thanks for your help guys.

sefton
    Free Member

focus have a very small headtube, you’ll be rite on the boardman 😉

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘opinion on Boardman cyclocross bike’ is closed to new replies.