Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • ooh! New coffee and patisserie shop on the high street!!! Disappointment content
  • Coyote
    Free Member

Noticed this last night on my way home from the pool, very excited. Nice treat in the morning thought I.

Parked up on my way to work and strode with a certain amount of anticipation. Went to open the door and… closed. Opening hours 9 to 5.

I’ll give it 12 months till the fire sale.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Could be after the Yummy Mummy market. Watch with interest….

onehundredthidiot

Yeah there’s been two (consecutivley) along the road from work both with the same 9am open policy. Given that there are a lot of office workers and already two coffee shops that open at 7am. They didn’t last long.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

We used to be the workshop of the world, now it seems the only growth industry is coffee shops.

molgrips
    Free Member

That is my biggest problem with coffee shops – indies are the worst where I live but the big chains are only a little better, with a couple of exceptions.

Why tf would you open after everyone’s gone to work and close before they get home?

We used to be the workshop of the world, now it seems the only growth industry is coffee shops.

Is this bad?

Should be doing loads of menial work, or should we be in a position to have enough spare time and cash to spend our time lounging around in coffee shops? I know what I’d rather do! 🙂

ac282

Why tf would you open after everyone’s gone to work and close before they get home?

Maybe because they make enough money during this time and don’t want to work anti-social hours?

binners

Patisserie? Pfft!

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Don’t get me started on ‘effing Greggs!… The b’stards seem to think they have a right to monopolise the public pavement as well…

bigyinn
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Could be after the Yummy Mummy market. Watch with interest….
    Over here is mostly Scummy Mummies. 🙄

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Should be doing loads of menial work, or should we be in a position to have enough spare time and cash to spend our time lounging around in coffee shops?

“There are 3 ways of creating growth. Grow it, dig it out the ground or add value to it (ie manufacturing). Anything else (service sector) is just moving it (money) around)”

Ok so there are flaws in this quote, but I do think we ought to be rebalancing the economy from the service dominated one we currently have.

Coyote
    Free Member

Maybe because they make enough money during this time and don’t want to work anti-social hours?

Possibility but given the passing trade pre 0900 I think I’d rethink my strategy and open 0800 – 1600 if I was determined to stick to an 8 hour day.

jfletch
    Free Member

That is my biggest problem with coffee shops

This is my biggest problem with all shops.

The business model is broken but instead of offering a service people want they are moaning about it.

In a market where a huge proportion of the customers work and shops can no longer rely on housewives doing the shopping while the husband work, in a world where the internet is open 24hrs and so are the supermarkets, its not sustainable to only open 9-5, Mon to Sat.

I was in Thailand last week and the difference is obvious, shops open from early for people to buy breakfast on the way to work, shops open into the evening for people to shop after work. Growing economy.

Shopkeeping is now a job that requires antisocial hours and shopkeepers need to realise this meet the markets requirments.

My LBS has started closing earlier in the evenings and not opening Sundays becuase the staff complained about long hours, I haven’t been in since the change, not out of spite but because they are never open when I can go.

jfletch
    Free Member

Anything else (service sector) is just moving it (money) around)

The retail sector adds value to goods by moving them around and making them available to buy where they need them.

Similar to manufacturing really.

molgrips
    Free Member

Anything else (service sector) is just moving it (money) around)

It’s all just moving it around. Manufacturing is adding value by taking a raw material, adding your knowledge and skill to it, and selling it on.

There’s no difference between paying someone to make an iPhone for me and paying someone to make a website for me or design a house. I can’t see that the phsyical presence of an object makes any difference. After all, an iPhone is just a few quid’s worth of plastic and semiconductor isn’t it? The actual material is fairly worthless.

ononeorange

I’ve never understood this with small shops generally. If you go to Europe, people can do their shopping on the way home (OK there are a few exceptions) but over it seems dry cleaners, small food shops, hardware shops etc etc all do the 9-5 thing. Surely a couple of days a week they could try opening something like 8 – 11 then 2-7 or some variant. I have never ever understood 9-5 opening when most people work longer than that.

peterfile
    Free Member

This is my biggest problem with all shops.

And GP surgeries. It’s another service industry, yet you have to take time out from your job to go.

Italian retail (in the provinces anyway) has it right – open early in the morning, shut for a few hours in the afternoon, open late each evening.

tracknicko
    Free Member

tamper sheffield.

now opening early morning and sundays for brunch.

starbucks round the corner just had to close due (i’ve heard) to business loss to tamper.

staggeringly good coffee. (try the flat white) lovely, interested and keen staff.

if you’re in sheff. head there.

*i don’t work there or owt. just when something good pops up, i think people should support it!

hammerite
    Free Member

MK has taken a bit of stick on the tell me about MK thread, but the shopping centre do have one thing right. Open all year round 10am-8pm. OK you can’t go in before work, but plenty of opportunity after work.

jfletch
    Free Member

And GP surgeries

But if you are ill then you can’t work 😕

*I realise GPs do all sorts of planned things for perfectly well people. I’m being deliberately facetious, but in reality I’d estimate 95% of GPs patients aren’t in full time work

johnners
    Free Member

in reality I’d estimate 95% of GPs patients aren’t in full time work

95% eh? What an interesting assertion – care to tell me what you’ve based your estimate on, in reality?

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Nine to Five!

herein lies the story of the death of the British high street and why independent retailers have lost out to supermarkets.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

But don’t forget the predatory pricing of the supermarkets and their economies of scale as well…

lunge

With coffee shops and GP’s add bike shops. I pass 3 on may way home from work, and another on my usual evening ride. none are open. If need something at that time I have to go to Halfords.

jfletch
    Free Member

95% eh? What an interesting assertion – care to tell me what you’ve based your estimate on, in reality?

Groups of people who visit the doctor in decending order

Elderly
    Long term sick
    Unemployed
    Children
    Normally healthy women
    Normally heathly men

Anecdotally I just drew the line of people who would be inconvienced by 9-5 hours at 95%. And in reality most GPs are open 8.30 to 6 at least so plenty of availability for the tiny proportion of people who are currently healthy but need a scheduled appointment.

Granted GPs could do better with being open at weekend and late nights but in reality their main issue isn’t opening hours but a method for assigning the available appointments based on need rather than first come first served.

jfletch
    Free Member

But don’t forget the predatory pricing of the supermarkets and their economies of scale as well…

This is a myth they want you to belive.

Supermarkets are generally not significantly cheaper than independants for the same thing. But independants have swung to the higher end to try to maintain profiability, rather than offering what people actually want at a time they can get it.

Supermarkets biggest selling point is convienience.

Seem crazy that a huge box you have to drive to can be consided convienient but when you consider that local shops may charge for parking or have none available, only open 9 to 5, have a smaller range etc and it starts to make sense. But local shops can fix this if only they were willing to.

franksinatra

That is my biggest problem with coffee shops

And barbers! Only open during the day then for about 3 hours on a Saturday morning with really long queues. I reckon they could make more money for working less hours if they opened at sensible times.

AlasdairMc

I’m down in that London at the moment and I noticed this morning that loads of shops open at 8 for people to buy stuff. It makes perfect sense when most of your workforce are in offices from 9 to whenever.

What gets me is shops that close for lunch, just at the time when office workers would be going for their lunch as well. Why don’t people in shops like these take their lunch before 12 or after 2?!?

ChrisHeath

And barbers! Only open during the day then for about 3 hours on a Saturday morning

Mine is open from 9 til 8 Tuesday to Friday, and 8 til 3 on a Saturday. And he gives you beer. 😀

Drillski
    Free Member

As the owner of a service industry busisness, you are quite right that we have issues in the Uk with our opening hours being 9-5.

But sadly one of the things making that worse is the dificulty getting staff to work the less sociable hours, and exisitng staff having the right to request flexible or adapted hours of work to suit family commitments. Whilst people only have the right to request changes, it becomes a very dificult request to decline and not leave oneself open to a potential claim for constructive dismissal.
    Talk to any small business owner and they will tell you how much of aproblem this is. We have had to reduce the hours of our availablity to clients purely because of this in the last few years. It is a very diicult situation to manage indeed and causes alot of dificulties and stress.
    Plans by Mr Clegg et al announced yesterday aim to extend this right to ALL employees in the near future, not just parents, if they get their way. Thats lovely, but soon we’ll all only be working 9 – 5, beacuse who wouldn’t. Not sustainable sadly.

johnners
    Free Member

Elderly
    Long term sick
    Unemployed
    Children
    Normally healthy women
    Normally heathly men

Anecdotally I just drew the line of people who would be inconvienced by 9-5 hours at 95%.

Ah, you made it up. That’s what I thought.

ransos
    Free Member

Elderly
    Long term sick
    Unemployed
    Children
    Normally healthy women
    Normally heathly men

Children go to the doctor’s by themselves, do they?

br
    Free Member

That low you reckon?

ransos
    Free Member

But sadly one of the things making that worse is the dificulty getting staff to work the less sociable hours, and exisitng staff having the right to request flexible or adapted hours of work to suit family commitments.

I find it hard to believe that similar rights don’t exist in other European countries, so how do they manage it?

Drillski
    Free Member

as regards staffign unsociable hours we now have huge problems in the UK. ANyone on here responsible for planning/staffing a hospital? They’ll likely tell you how much dificulty they are having these days since all teh staff started asking for family friendly hours.

What when this extends to other sectors,to the Police. Or the fire brigade? “Hello, you have reached the Singletrackworldshire Fire and Rescue service….the station is now closed. Normal opening hours are 9am to 5pm monday to friday. Outside these hours please leave a mesage and we’ll get back to you once we re-open.”

lunge

Ransos, it’s a culture thing, if youve always worked until 9pm it is not unreasonable, if you never have and suddenly you’re being asked then it is.

ransos
    Free Member

Ransos, it’s a culture thing, if youve always worked until 9pm it is not unreasonable, if you never have and suddenly you’re being asked then it is.

I understand that, but (IIRC) if you can demonstrate a genuine business need for particular hours/ days, then you don’t have a problem in law for refusing a request.

joao3v16
    Free Member

My wife’s from Brazil.

After 3 years in the uk she’s still not got used to most places closing at 5 or 6 in the evening, and not being open at 7am.

She thinks the British are just lazy 😀

Last time I was in Brazil, most shops were open from 7/7:30 through to 7/8pm. Many places will let you in to shop despite having just closed.

I suspect their customer service motto is not “What can I do for you? Not much I hope!”, like it is in this country.

😀

Drillski
    Free Member

I find it hard to believe that similar rights don’t exist in other European countries, so how do they manage it?

I’m sure that they are finding it increasingly dificult too. Plus many EU countries take a much more relaxed approach to regulation.
    Plus they Europe they too rely to a very large degree on young keen labour from EU accession countries to fll these gaps. Trouble is its a one way street. Once staff have children who a little older they rarely want to go back to earlier or later starts.
    And I can’t say that I blame them really. But it is storing up big problems for our national albour force verstility in the long term.

Don’t get me wrong, I do firmly believe that the family unit should indeed be the focus of much of our planning at the moment. It just isn’t being done in a joined up manner at the moment.

The option for Dads to take the womens share of the parental leave postnatally is a step forward though.

Drillski
    Free Member

I understand that, but (IIRC) if you can demonstrate a genuine business need for particular hours/ days, then you don’t have a problem in law for refusing a request.

You are absolutely right. But the only real, and final, arbiter to this question of “genuine” is an employment tribunal. Should you need to go this far conservative estimate of costs to succesfully defend, ie that is if you winand are proved justified in your decision, is £5-10k. Heaven help you if you are not found ot be justified. I had to take advice on this a few years agoas a situation was developing, and it was truly horrifying.

willard

Our local coffee shop opens 8:30 to late (they have a license) and captures pre-work traffic very well indeed. Their coffee is very good and they have a temptingly good selection of cakes, but their one problem is not opening on Sundays or Mondays. I’ve asked why and it is because they simply cannot get the staff for it.

The one thing I crave, CRAVE I TELL YE, is a double shot cappuccino on a Monday before work. And I can’t have one from my favourite shop.

First world problem I know.

The rest of the week they are open and my life is complete.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘ooh! New coffee and patisserie shop on the high street!!! Disappointment content’ is closed to new replies.