Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • OneUp Composite Pedal Copies £19.99
  • TheGhost
    Free Member

I’m giving these a try. Not bad for £19.99 They seem good so far.

Anyone else tried them?

chiefgrooveguru

Maybe it’s just me but if OneUp have spent the time and money on designing and tooling up for a pedal, isn’t it more fair to pay the extra for their efforts?

darksideby182

Have these and picked them up for around £15 on eBay. I have to say they are great value for money really good build quality, they can be taken apart for servicing and come with spare pins.

Northwind

I agree with the point about copies,Oneup are a good company ime.

But also, I had their pedals and they’re not that great imo. Prefer my nukeproof horizons.

tdog
    Free Member

Burgtec can be had for £30 or so nowadays plus their cs surely gonna out do these copies

Though a bargain by sounds of it for these

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Maybe it’s just me but if OneUp have spent the time and money on designing and tooling up for a pedal, isn’t it more fair to pay the extra for their efforts?

Agreed.

FWIW, RockBros are the same rip off counterfeit merchants who did this;

A tale of two bells: Spurcycle vs. the counterfeiters

nickjb
    Free Member

Those superstar pedals at planetX aren’t flat. I know it doesn’t bother some people but I really don’t like that bulge in the middle. Quite like the look of the Rock-Bros at £16. Where are the burgtecs £30?

steel4real
    Free Member

If you want to buy cheap pedal copies take a look at these fookers!

ugarizza
    Free Member

I like the quote in that video, if you love the sport and can afford to, buy the real thing.

VanHalen

the cheap no brand pedals (nukeproof/superstar copies) i used on the wifes bike didnt last a lap of the newhaven pump track without the axles bending.

id not recommend cheap chinese copies on strength critical components.

VanHalen

oh and for £7 a pop a month of so ago those superstar pedals were a bargain.

grind the middle of the lump out and you have a decent flat. leave a wee bit of lump for hte bearings. they work great.

bikerevivesheffield

Where are they £20? And also where can i get burgtec’s for £30?

nickjb
    Free Member

Where are they £20?

They are £16 on eBay, one seller had black only for £15

And also where can i get burgtec’s for £30?

I don’t think they are. Cheapest I could find was £37. I quite fancy the burgtecs so would be interested if someone has seen them cheap

bikerevivesheffield

I think ill buy the Burgtec ones tbh as they look better quality, the one up ones apparently have short axles?

VanHalen

the burtecs are not the widest pedals – if you are used to a wider pedal you might find it annoying to start with. i like them. they survived a HT day at BPW on teh reds no prob.

nukeproof neutron evos are really nice. like teh superstar ones brant linked but without the bulge.

tdog
    Free Member

Couldve sworn
    It was at BLACKS outdoors

Got my alloy Burgys for £60 and plastico burgys for £38 at lbs

Burgy plastics are lovely pedals over the Deity composites and fit well most foot sizes overall with the new boost or spacing on axle to make them more comfy without rubbing crank arms which can be off putting

Northwind

nickjb

Those superstar pedals at planetX aren’t flat. I know it doesn’t bother some people but I really don’t like that bulge in the middle

Yeah, I really didn’t like them, they’ve got a lot less grip than the Oneups which in turn have a lot less grip than the horizon comp. I did have a set for a couple of years on the commuter and they did well there so the bearings etc are decent, it’s just the shape.

Those Burgtecs look lovely

endomick
    Free Member

For the sake of an extra tenner or so just get the real deal that won’t self destruct or worse, put you in A&E.

poah
    Free Member

FWIW, RockBros are the same rip off counterfeit merchants who did this

That looks completely legal given they didn’t patent the design so not counterfeit.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I suppose that makes it okay then.

kelvin

Just buy the real thing. I’ve bought a second pair…

chiefgrooveguru

“That looks completely legal given they didn’t patent the design so not counterfeit.”

Plenty of non-patented items are illegally counterfeited. And many many more are legally copied – but that doesn’t make it morally right or ethical.

You can choose to defend it on the grounds that the authentic items are more expensive but if we all bought the cheap copies then who would pay for the R&D, design, tooling and marketing that brings you the things you want to buy?

honourablegeorge

This video seems relevant

hamishthecat
    Free Member

This video seems relevan

Bindun by steel4real earlier.

Poopscoop

Those Rockbros are £13.98 posted from China.

Mental cheap.

Just had a couple of parts turn up from there in under a week. Not those pedals, mind.

zezaskar
    Free Member

As much as I generally enjoy Seth’s videos, he went a little over his head on that one with all the “3D scan” speculation. It just shows how little people know about manufacturing and the component industry.

trumpton
    Free Member

Everyone knows the only copies to buy are the old skool dmr v8 wellgo copies.

poah
    Free Member

Plenty of non-patented items are illegally counterfeited. And many many more are legally copied – but that doesn’t make it morally right or ethical.

They are not pretending to be the same make so how can they be counterfeit?

chiefgrooveguru

“They are not pretending to be the same make so how can they be counterfeit?”

If you re-read my post I referred separately to counterfeits and copies. These are not counterfeits, but counterfeiting is rife through the fashion industry, with items that are protected by trademark and copyright, not patents. Or unprotected items which are still counterfeited.

These are legal copies. Yes it’s legal but it’s morally wrong.

brant
    Free Member

Fooker is a great name.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Brant, slightly off topic, but still…

kiwizak
    Free Member

Here’s the thing, I highly doubt that One Up or Race Face designed their composite pedals, they bought from a catalog of pedals made by a manufacturer in Taiwan, probably Wellgo. Whats wrong with another company picking the same pedal from the catalogue?

Wellgo Taiwan Factory Visit

kelvin

I highly doubt that One Up or Race Face designed their composite pedals, they bought from a catalog of pedals made by a manufacturer in Taiwan

Take a look at the OneUp metal pedals… absolutely not a catalog pedal. Then look at their composite pedal… it has deliberate echos of their metal pedal, despite not using the same axle and bearing arrangement. Design decision made by someone. Now what’s the reason for these copy composite pedals having a design that echos the OneUp metal pedal? It’s not for it to fit into their own range now, is it?

nickjb
    Free Member

Whats wrong with another company picking the same pedal from the catalogue?

These aren’t “the same”. If you watch the videos where they do a full comparison and open them up there are not identical. The outer is the same shape but there are plenty of differences that make it clear it isn’t the same factory making the same product with a different logo.

unovolo
    Free Member

The outer is the same shape but there are plenty of differences that make it clear it isn’t the same factory making the same product with a different logo

Or is it a case that they have made enough small changes to make production quicker/cheaper and keep the lawyers at bay.

The axles and seals on the ‘Fooker’ pedals are very similar/the same as a number of other flattie pedals on Aliexpress.

Northwind

kiwizak

Whats wrong with another company picking the same pedal from the catalogue?

Nothing, but that isn’t what’s happened here

zezaskar
    Free Member

Lots of speculation flying around here, which is fine, but let’s get some things straight.
    – RF or One-up almost surely have their pedals manufactured by the far Eastern big pedal players
    – just having different looking nuts or axles doesn’t mean the pedals are not made using the same tooling. Even different engraved logos in the plastic can be achieved by switching inserts within the injection mould or by welding (if it is to be definitive)
    – just being made by the same tooling is only one of the factors for price and actual product quality. Oversimplifying, one could have same tooling as original model, identical look cheaper materials (just to mention the platform, there are countless different specs of nylon/polyamide with different characteristics and prices) or same tooling and materials but different process steps or same tooling same materials same process but less quality controls. All these produce similar looking products with different performances and prices
    – it’s not as if the only possibilities are either it being a blatant counterfeit/copy or just that Oneup or RF picked it from a catalogue. It could be this. Or it could be a myriad of different things. Who developed the pedals? Was it a co-development? Who owns the tools/mould? Who has the license? For how long? There are countless different types of deals a brand can have with a manufacturer. Let’s consider this, injection molds are very expensive, companies try to offset this whenever possible. One way to do it is to approach the manufacturer with:
    “here is my pedal design. I don’t pay for the tooling (or pay half) and I have an exclusivity for them for the first xxxxxx units, after which I may or may not keep ordering them but then you can also produce them at your will”. This is just a possible scenario among countless others

kiwizak
    Free Member

I’ve watched the video, Id like to see if the axles are interchangeable. I bought a set of the Race Face Chester look pedals off Aliexpress to see if I got on with the platform shape, I did, so bought the real thing. The axles and bearings, although slightly different, are interchangeable. Apart from the logo they are identical.

I guess what I’m getting at is, without knowing the arrangement between One Up/Race Face and the manufacturer, crying foul is really just speculation.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

To be honest, not sure why you bother copying a shyte pedal in the first place. Those OneUp Comps have to be the worst pedal i’ve used in years.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘OneUp Composite Pedal Copies £19.99’ is closed to new replies.