Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • One for the twitterati
  • tor5
    Free Member

@Harry_the_Spider I wanted to play with heroku and twitter, this seemed quick and easy, if people find it useful, great. If not I’ve learned some stuff. (Also twitter clients are better than RSS clients)

@Bez – yep. It’s Java I’ll make it less hacky and put on github in next couple of days.

@mikewsmith maybe, would be easy to do, as separate account. you want?

@will thanks 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

hell no they all get upset if you ask postage to Australia and payment via my uncle in the UN….

generally like some tech mashing though and the idea is a good one potentially as a multiple forum classified thing or as a force for good as a stolen bike Tweeter collecting from all forums etc.

D0NK

it does seem a bit weird having stuff said on here broadcast* to the outside world, whilst this is still a public forum I say stuff on here I wouldn’t say in a “proper” public place (all the bike and computer game geekery for starters). But then I’m a privacy obsessed luddite like flashy** so what do I know.

*to a select few people who actually look at/follow it
    ** 😉

Mark

The content of posts isn’t displayed in the twitter feed. To see that actual content you need to click the link in the post and that brings you right back here. So it’s not really posting anything but the forum post titles to twitter and then the only people I imagine will follow that account are people who ‘inhabit’ the forum anyway – so I’m not really sure the worries over ‘broadcasting’ are that valid. Considering that the typical ratio of actual readers to actual posters on here is around 100:4 what you post on here is being read (‘broadcast’) a lot wider than most people realise anyway.

midlifecrashes

Sorry, not a Twitter user. Is the username of poster shown in the twitter feed? Don’t like the idea of becoming a Twitter user by proxy.

rogermoore

Change the logo for a small picture of an Audi A4. There’ll be no doubt then what it relates to.
    RM.

D0NK

so I’m not really sure the worries over ‘broadcasting’ are that valid

my post was kinda tongue in cheek

typical ratio of actual readers to actual posters on here is around 100:4

that’s a whole lotta lurkers, is that 100 seperate IP views vs IP posts or just page hits vs posts?

Cougar

typical ratio of actual readers to actual posters on here is around 100:4

Or, 25:1, of course. (-:

fasthaggis

I posted this via my bot 🙂

chvck
    Free Member

😆

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Most of what I post comes via my bottom.

fasthaggis

My bot just winked at you 😉

D0NK

Or, 25:1, of course. (-:

that’s why you don’t work for marketing, 100:4 is much sexier

sharkbait
    Free Member

Sorry for being pedantic, but I’m not sure of the point of it.

This for me. I used twitter for updates from my daughters school and not much else.
    I can’t see the point of it and I’m not sure I like it. I would have thought that ST towers would be against this as it could reduce the number of people browsing the forum and this would hit advertising in some way.
    There should be an opt-out for those who do not want their posts linked to twitter.

Mark

Or 4% of users post and 96% lurk, which is where I derived the 100:4 from 🙂

Or should that be 96:4? In which case it’s 24:1 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

People keep asking, so this is what it looks like

DezB
    Free Member

this as it could reduce the number of people browsing the forum and this would hit advertising in some way.
    There should be an opt-out for those who do not want their posts linked to twitter.

What about Google? Search for any post in Google and STW shows up.
    It’s only going to be followed by people who already use the forum anyway.

D0NK

Or 4% of users post and 96% lurk, which is where I derived the 100:4 from

and that’s why you don’t do the numbers on countdown 😉

chvck
    Free Member

I would have thought that ST towers would be against this as it could reduce the number of people browsing the forum and this would hit advertising in some way.

How so, if anything it would do the opposite wouldn’t it?

sharkbait
    Free Member

What about Google? Search for any post in Google and STW shows up.

But you actually have to search, this information is being pushed.

It’s only going to be followed by people who already use the forum anyway.

By using this you can see what is on ST without actually visiting? If so then surely this would have the potential to reduce visits.

sharkbait
    Free Member

How so, if anything it would do the opposite wouldn’t it?

Why? You visit here to see what’s been posted. If you can do that without visiting here then the number of visits could drop. Or am I looking at this wrong?

chvck
    Free Member

It will only show the new topics that are added. So you won’t know what’s actually in a topic or when a topic is updated. At least that’s my understanding.

chvck
    Free Member

double post

sharkbait
    Free Member

It will only show the new topics that are added

and if nothing interests you then you will not bother visiting the site.

DezB
    Free Member

and if nothing interests you then you will not bother visiting the site.

So where’s the issue?! 🙂

And if anything, finding posts through Twitter is more difficult that Google – you have to log in to Twitter, know the account name to follow.. etc.

chvck
    Free Member

And if anything, finding posts through Twitter is more difficult that Google – you have to log in to Twitter, know the account name to follow.. etc.

Not quite true. You can view tweets in the twitter timeline but I can’t imagine many people doing that (bots though, sure). Given the diversity of topics on here i expect that the bot will get a lot of bot replies, replying to keywords in topic titles.

molgrips
    Free Member

Or should that be 96:4? In which case it’s 24:1

No, cos those who post also read the topics.

Oh wait – what am I saying? As you were.

tor5
    Free Member
    kcr
    Free Member

Another way of doing this, without coding, is to use a service like http://www.dlvr.it
    Just tell it what RSS feed you want to use, point it at your Twitter account, and it will do the rest. Very useful for connecting up various different sources of information.

Bez

Thanks, I’ll have a butcher’s at some point…

maccruiskeen

Or 4% of users post and 96% lurk, which is where I derived the 100:4 from

and that’s why you don’t do the numbers on countdown

I though that was just because they didn’t have a dress in his size

annebr
    Free Member

It seems to double post sometimes.

I got two notifications of the Borrowed Knee pads in Shoreham.

Seems to retweet the thread if the OP comments again. (I think).

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘One for the twitterati’ is closed to new replies.