Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • One for the HR savy forum members…
  • the-muffin-man

My wife has just visited me at my work after having a blazing row with her boss (my wife told her she was a "f-ing **** who couldn't run a drinks party in a brewery" or words to that effect!) – outline scenario is this (I'll try and keep it as short as poss!)…

• My wife works 4 days a week – two 9-5pm, two 9-3pm – and has done so for 2 years or so.

• Over the summer holidays she, along with another lady in the office, agreed to work 3 full days so there'd be more time to look after our daughter during the school holidays on the understanding her hours would go back to the 4 days a week.

• Her boss has just announced to her today that after the hols she wants her to do 3 part days 9-3pm "as things are tight" – meaning she'll lose 10 hours a week from her original hours which we can't really afford to do.

• She was originally taken on 4 years or so ago on the 3 part day basis but has not done these hours for years and there was never any contract of employment in place!

So, to sum-up – can her boss reduce her hours to where they were 4 years ago after shes worked a long period at increased hours? She also wants to increase her sales targets but on reduced hours!

To make matters worse her boss has just taken two other ladies on full-time within the last 3 months. They don't do the exact same job as my wife but there is a cross-over in certain areas. To me it seems like her boss is taking the wee.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

can you have "HR" and "savvy" in a meaningful sentence ?

nickc

and there was never any contract of employment in place!

She hasn't got a contract?

Within reason your employer can alter your hours, in this case it's not unreasonable, I'd suspect.

clubber
    Free Member

Probably taking the wee BUT in reality actually forcing the boss to change may well be very difficult unless you're prepared to go the full legal route which is costly and stressful.

Suggest getting some proper advice (CAB at a min or invest in proper legal advice for which you should at least be able to get an initial consultation for free) first.

cynic-al
    Free Member

To make matters worse her boss has just taken two other ladies on full-time within the last 3 months. They don't do the exact same job as my wife but there is a cross-over in certain areas.

IANA Employment L but this seems key to me.

*Shines "TJ" torch into sky*

bristolbiker
    Free Member

I have nothing of use to add, but I have just LOLed at this quite a lot…. 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

He cannot change the hours without consultation and without good cause – there is a contract in place even if its not written. However the alteration in hours makes it more complex

One for real good advice – I would guess this is in the area as Clubber says where the case is strong but the stress and difficulty is enforcing it might not be worth it.

CAB or local law centre for advice

allthepies
    Free Member

>my wife told her she was a "f-ing **** who couldn't run a drinks party in a brewery" or words to that effect!

Ooops!

the-muffin-man

She hasn't got a contract?

Nope

LOL +1!

In all honesty she doesn't want to stay anymore as she has no respect for her boss… but she doesn't want to quit as we understand she couldn't claim
    any sort of benefits if she left on her own accord.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I'm not surecalling the boss a fornicating female dog will have helped in the matter either.

tails
    Free Member

my wife told her she was a "f-ing **** who couldn't run a drinks party in a brewery" or words to that effect!)

surly your wife will now be looking for another job?

T666DOM

Moral of the story… don't swear at your boss, they have the power!!

the-muffin-man

Moral of the story… don't swear at your boss, they have the power!!

My wife is normally quite a calm person!

nickc

My standard contract for my employees says:

"In certain circumstances it may be necessary to adjust or extend your hours to ensure that your duties are properly performed."

This is nothing spectacular, or out of the ordinary, I suspect most contracts (if you had one) have a clause not dissimilar. In reality most tribunals are settled on "what normally happens in your office", rather than specifically in a contract. Calling your boss defamatory names isn't going to help, really.

project
    Free Member

JOIN A UNION 😯
    Only swear at the boss if you

a, adont lioke her,

b, dont want the job,

c, are willing to leave or be sacked,

I did and resigned and got the sack the next day, strangely.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘One for the HR savy forum members…’ is closed to new replies.