Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • One for the doc's and Medics (great big lump on the side of my throat)
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Had flu/virus last week which pretty much wiped me out, and woke up on monday with a sore throat (but no voice problems which I though was a little odd).

Googled symptoms and it said it wasnt uncommon for nodes/glands to swell up towards the end of an infection as all the crap is being cleaned up. However, that was Monday, it's now Friday and its been getting steadily worse. No painkillers are having a worthwhile effect. It always seems to be worst at night/early morning. Swalowing is excruciating and breathing is a bit painfull. Freezing cold water seems to numb it temporerily.

On the RHS of my neck theres a big solid lump, about the size of my thumb, maybe a bit bigger where my jawline meats my neck, just in front of the artery (presume its an artery, it has a pulse).

Am I about to die? Or should I MTFU and go on the mountain trax shop ride tomorow morning?

bruneep

Dibbs on your bike 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Just sounds like swollen glands – I always get them with sore throats and I always chomp Tyrozets (sp) which always work.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

dibs granted, although you didnt specify which of the 10 youd like so you can have the abandoned fixie project (free for collection if anyone will take it away). 58cm frame, short stem (so suits anyone 5.9 to 6.3 with a different stem)

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Sounds like a quinsey. Probably the most painful and horrific medical condition I've ever suffered from.

And when it pops, and you have to make that split-second decision whether to swallow or hoik up a good mouthful of rancid puss, just pray to god you're in hospital and pumped up with morphine like I was.

Good luck.

scaredypants

Lemierre's – can I have a bike too ?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

great, the missus nice had tonsilitis the other week, if she's given me that and its gotten complicated there will be hell/beer to pay!

tinsy
    Free Member

Sounds like a quinsey. Probably the most painful and horrific medical condition I've ever suffered from.

er no it doesnt, that would show itself up as white pussy blobs on your tonsils.

However TINAS, if you got some horrific looking puss spots on your tonsils it could be.

You need to go see your GP.

edit… if your missus neice had tonsilitis recently, then yep you could have that.. does it travel from person to person though??

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

no her nice had it, so have been in the same room as it

tron
    Free Member

Do you live in Derbyshire? 😆

alpinegirl
    Free Member

And when it pops

Hmm… when I had a quincy they stuck a massive needle it from inside my mouth – three times and without any numbing. I had to be restrained after the first jab because I hit the doctor. Then it came back again 2 weeks later when I stopped antibiotics, and I got the same doctor.

jemima
    Free Member

Sounds very similar to the Glandular fever symptoms I had… I would opt not to MTFU but go to the doctor instead…

Johnboy373
    Free Member

GET IT CHECKED OUT. My mate had a lump on his throat and he ignored it until he had trouble breathing, Went to docs and it was thyroid cancer!!! He fine now had to get an OP and some radiotherypy.

Guys tend to ignore stuff like this and not go to doctors. Thats why so many of us die of testicular cancer.

funkynick

If you've not had glandular fever in the past then I'd probably pop over to the docs and get it checked…

I had a real nasty case back about 20 years ago and about once a year I get a re-occurance of the lumpy throat thing.. makes me look like I have swallowed some golfs balls… and just taking care of myself for a few weeks is enough to see them off..

ourmaninthenorth

Guys tend to ignore stuff like this and not go to doctors. Thats why so many of us die of testicular cancer.

That and the small fact that women don't have testicles….

To the OP – go to the doctor.

ro
    Free Member

hmmmm… stand a bit closer to the screen would you? that's better, i can see it now.

why do you think we spend years at med school practicing on real people rather than computer screens? perhaps because we make a better diagnosis that way?

stop being an *insert unflattering noun of choice here*. go to a doctor. soon.

Flaperon

If you go to the doc with a lump on your neck, the best you can expect is to be told to come back in a month to see if it's changed size.

Googling swollen lymph node is not a good thing to do, because all the sites scream "CANCER!" as their first diagnosis. It's actually a tiny proportion of cases, and if it's swollen up virtually overnight then it's hardly likely to be a malignancy.

I managed to terrify myself after I discovered small lumps in my neck; turns out that what I thought was grape-size was actually the size of a pea, and apparently completely normal. MTFU, effectively, from the doctor.

jimmy

DOCTOR!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I have my Park Cable Cutters ready if you'd care to pop round. I'll have it sorted in a jiffy

ratadog

MTFU, effectively, from the doctor.

Safer than MTFU from yourself or any of us.

Go get checked out.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

"Doctor! Theres a strange lump with a cyclist attached! The lump wants the cyclist removing!"

Off to doctors, it isn't normal, get seen.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘One for the doc's and Medics (great big lump on the side of my throat)’ is closed to new replies.