Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • One For The Alfine 11 Owners…
  • nuke

What chainring & sprocket size are you running for the offroad winter slog?

I switched from a 36t to a 32t chainring today with a 20t sprocket on my 29er but that would give a 1.6 ratio and I understand the min is supposed to be 1.9. Just riding my regular stuff, I’d be walking if I went with the 1.9 ratio and frankly I’d like to get a 22t on the rear but I don’t want to kill the Alfine

thepodge
    Free Member

I run 32:19 but that’s on an alfine 8 in the Peak with 26″ wheels

jes
    Free Member

Presentley running 32t chainring with a 22t sprocket and 26″ rims.

scotroutes

I ignored the 1:9 thing last winter and ran a double (22/32) up front with a 22 in the rear. That was on my Fatbike where a significant amount of torque can be required to negotiate soft terrain and deep snow. It was just fine.

(reminds me – I really need to do an oil change and refit it the Alfine wheel for this winter)

nuke

So far nobody adhering to the 1.9 ratio…I can’t see how you can offroad to have the lower gear ratios.

Don’t quite get the torque thing…if I can get lower gear ratios, I can sit and spin on climbs which I thought would be lower torque than climbing in a high gear ratio

Phil_H

29:20 on 26″ wheels here.

mboy
    Free Member

The 1.9:1 ratio Shimano state is to be honest, more covering their arse than anything else. It’s to cover them against people weighing 20 stone that ride with all the grace of a Rhino, stomping on the pedals and stripping the clutch with every crank turn.

The lighter you are, and the less torque you apply to the pedals, the safer you will be going further below the 1.9:1 ratio.

Roughly around 1.6:1 seems to be where the majority of riders settle on in my experience, though as you’re riding a 29er, I’d definitely go with the 22T on the back as the 29er wheels are 10% bigger than 26″ anyway so alter the gear ratio to suit.

nuke

Thanks all. Think I’ll go with the 22t and help save my knees

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘One For The Alfine 11 Owners…’ is closed to new replies.