Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • One for log store experts
  • richmars

While inspecting log store no. 1 yesterday I spotted what seems to be evidence of something burrowing into some logs, see attached picture. Seems to only affect one type of wood (ash) and was present in a few locations. The wood’s been stored for about a year.
    Should I be worried that this winters fuel will disappear into a pile of wood dust?

Thanks,

beefheart
    Free Member

If after a year that’s all there is I wouldn’t worry.
    The ash will be ready to burn now.
    I’ve never seen that in my woodstore. Maybe it’s bees?
    I wouldn’t imagine they would eat all of your wood, but be careful when you bring it inside.

I once got stung in the armpit after putting on a t-shirt which had been drying out over recently brought in wood.

matt_outandabout

They seem quite large logs? Get em split, less burrowing stuff in them then I think…

johndoh
    Free Member

Log stigmata?

richmars

Thanks, yes, they’re all about 1 metre long at the moment, I have to carry them from the log store to the car, so easier to leave them in long lengths until cut.
    Also I don’t bring them inside until ready to burn, so not too worried about damage to the house!

PePPeR

They only burrow into the soft wood, the heart of the wood will still be good. If I remember rightly if you peel the bark off you’ll find the trails where there going and find the grubs causing it. Never been that bothered enough to find out more than that though.

PePPeR

Just googled its an ash bark beetle.

salsaboy

A good log store is a nature reserve. There will be casualties.

richmars

Ash bark beetle, what an evil little bast***.
    Thanks, I’ll have to look into this a bit closer, don’t want to lose trees to that thing.

bobbyatwork
    Free Member

Mcmoonter to the forum…….

PePPeR

I don’t think they cause much harm, and as Andy says a log store to an insect must be a palace! Although Christal Palace springs to mind!

beefheart
    Free Member

Bees!

richmars

Bees!

Honey??!!

beefheart
    Free Member

Bees!

Honey??!!

Cripes!!!!

globalti
    Free Member

We found an Asian Longhorn beetle larva in our Chinese-made sofa once, that was exciting. It was the noise it made like a small chainsaw as it scoffed its way through the framework that alerted us.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘One for log store experts’ is closed to new replies.