• This topic has 116 replies, 58 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by jedi.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 117 total)
  • one bike to rule them all?
  • mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

knolly?

you do know a man…….

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

SX Trail?

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Jedi – Lets take it back to basics…

What do you want to do with this bike? I get the feeling you are after something which is bombproof and good for uphills? or are you after something which is just good on the downs?

Northwind

"James yes it's light. Mine is at 14.3kg with proper mtb kit some of it being rather heavy too). It is light for a real mtb (you can ride it down mountains)."

You get a genuine LOL for that, my Hemlock is lighter than that with 6 inches of travel, 2.35 tyres and a gravity dropper. My Soul weighs 26lbs fully loaded and it rides quite nicely down mountains. Your bike is very nice and very capable but it's not light for what it is.

akira

This is what you want, can be ridden all day and is solid, with lighter wheels etc could be just over 30lbs and I believe Cameron Zink runs one with Totems for a nice burly build.
    Felt Redemption 1 by the way.

jedi

i want to go up and down and drops and jumps. you know where i coach!

i think new forks is maybe the only way.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Of course I know where you coach! 😉

I like the hummer – I'd say get a hardtail for that to keep your hummer for "best" unless you think it'll take the beating – if so new forks.

Personally I think a FS might be too much unless you are thinking for the likes of more burly rides and coaching. But then I think 90% of UK riding doesn't need a FS so I'm slightly biased.

jedi

bushwacked, you know i love ht!
    i think the hummer frame will last longer still. i know the z1 freeride forks are getting tired though.

jedi

once again, bushwacked talks sense 🙂

high5 !

fontmoss
    Free Member

*cough* indy fab *cough*

forgotmename
    Free Member

Foes of course, fxr.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Jedi – high5!

Now I know the Cotic Hemlock is designed to be a FS that handles for people who like HTs – worth looking at?

I'd get some new forks first and see how the Hummer hums! if you want to – you are welcome to try my Soul out on the 20th

juan
    Free Member

You get a genuine LOL for that, my Hemlock is lighter than that with 6 inches of travel, 2.35 tyres and a gravity dropper

You mean with or without the chain stay breaking;)?
    Oh and I really mean down mountains, like for an enduro or a megavalanche… Do you really trust your hardware?

epicsteve
    Free Member

No doubt I'd be fine with one fairly bling short-travel bike – something like one of the carbon Epics perhaps – instead of the 5 bikes I currently have. I get a fair amount of enjoyment from building/re-building the bikes though, so I prefer to have several cheap to moderately spec'd bikes instead of one super-tarty one.

si-wilson
    Free Member

Do you really trust your hardware

You own a commencal, non? 🙂

jedi

si_progressivebikes – Member

Do you really trust your hardware

You own a commencal, non?

and it's a home run!!! 🙂

juan
    Free Member

yes what is wrong with commencal? Almost all my riding mates are on commencals some for about 5 years now, and unless oliv' who broke a meta 6 (but lets face it oliv has broke everything, even a race face turbine crank) I have yet to see one failing.
    EDIT What is wrong with commencals? Jedi you're on a cove no 😉

jedi

same cove for 7years!

james
    Free Member

"You mean with or without the chain stay breaking;)?"
    They already put that down to some medium frames missing a spacer in between the frame and a bearing, meaning everything was skewed and under way more load than they should have been didn't they?

I've seen/read about many more commencal meta 55s breaking than hemlocks anyhow

"Corsair Marque"
    Aren't they stupidly heavy (way more so than commmencals), like 10lbs for the frame?

solamanda
    Free Member

Do you need anything that strong for teaching? You won't be pushing your personal limits?

jedi

thats strong?? as what?

Northwind

Juan wrote,

"You mean with or without the chain stay breaking;)?
    Oh and I really mean down mountains, like for an enduro or a megavalanche… Do you really trust your hardware? "

As's been said the breaking chainstays was due to an assembly error not a structural issue, easily rectified, and mine is a later model which was never affected by that in any case. Might possibly fit the stiffer 2010 chainstays, probably not, it doesn't need it. No need for me to poke fun at cracking Meta 5s, other people have done it for me, I did consider buying a Meta though since there's so many cheap warranty replacement frames on Ebay 😉

And yes, absolutely, I trust it. I'll be taking it with me next time I'm at Innerleithen and Fort William, and to the Pyrenees later in the year.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Hemlock C'stay failure here, washers were included.

(and i'm a slow, skinny coward. I shouldn't be able to break anything)

backhander
    Free Member

mrmichaelwright and what may be wrong with knollys prey tell?

jedi

hhmmm knollys…. knowle!!! 🙂

backhander
    Free Member

?? lost me??
    That's not too hard mind.

j-claw
    Free Member

I was talking to Noel about you the other night Tony… He was very complimentary!

jedi

j-claw. was he now 🙂

j-claw
    Free Member

His new Delirium was very nice too. You might need a 2nd mortgage though 😉

jedi

🙂

backhander
    Free Member

Ah Noel, geddit now!
    Jedi and j-claw; you know him?
    Surely there's a special discount for friends?

DT78
    Free Member

Where is the mention of the SC Nomad?! Mine does the annual Morzine trip and all day wales trail centres with the occassional uplift thrown in.

All I do is swap wheelset & tyres.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Oh and I really mean down mountains, like for an enduro or a megavalanche… Do you really trust your hardware?

Well it hasn't let me down in the last three years – although I only added the GD last year.

Oh and I should add that I do mean going down mountains – I used it in the Mega last year. I am very hard on kit and I weigh over 15-stone in my kit. Actually with my alpine pack on, more like over 16-stone.

devs
    Free Member

+1 Nomad.

Coasting
    Free Member

Jedi the Nomad needs a serious looking at.I cant think of a more rounded bike capable of a bit of punnishment.

forgotmename
    Free Member

Have a go on Mark Ts nice little red bike.

dans160
    Free Member

Series 1 Intense SlopeStyle?

Spey-Stout
    Free Member

+ 2 Nomad

juan
    Free Member

I've seen/read about many more commencal meta 55s breaking than hemlocks anyhow

Didn't we prove that the percentage of broken fram is more important for cotic than for commencal? Plus commencal crack were due to people not having enough seat post in apparently 😉

Crag
    Free Member

I've had 2 commies goat the shock mount, nothing to do with too much seatpost exposed. You get what you pay for.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 117 total)

The topic ‘one bike to rule them all?’ is closed to new replies.