• This topic has 16 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • On-One £10 tyre deals – any of them worth having?
  • JimmyB
    Free Member

Got a pair of the Continental Speed Kings already but are the Mountain Kings or any of the Michelin jobs worth having.

I've never really investigated tyres & have just used what been on so bit of a tyre novice.

ta,

J

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Heard a lot of negative stuff on here about the Mountain Kings but for a tenner a piece, you can't really seem to go wrong. Heck, you'd sell em for more (maybe) if you bought them and sold them on eBay!

alpin
    Free Member

conti sport contact are a good mtb slick.

allthepies
    Free Member

I bought a pair for the summer 🙂

singletracksurfer

nice on. Just ordered some Speed Kings (they're fast)!

I got tubleless Mtn Kings and they've been fine (even tho lots of people slated them on here), ridden in the wet Peaks, dry Chilterns, wet & dry Exmoor hills with no probs. Good price, worth a punt I'd say.

Sorry don't know about the Michelin.

RealMan
    Free Member

I've riden 2.2 tubeless mountain kings. They're very good at climbing. Bit sketchy on real hard descents when you push it, but if you're not always pushing yourself on the descents, they're worth a look.

JimmyB
    Free Member

Think I'm missing a trick here, looking at all my tyres just now & they're all ~1.9 size.

Perfect chance to go fatter just to try them out, think I might even see what the Michelins are like in the All Terrain too.

RealMan
    Free Member

For most mtbing, 2.1 – 2.3 is what you want really. 1.9 is mud tyre width

singletracksurfer

fatter ones are the trend – although I find many new 2.1's don't seem much wider than older 'narrower' tyres.

JimmyB
    Free Member

Funny that, I've got on fine with slimmer tyres but I've never really ridden anything fatter so just assumed they were fine. Ignorance is bliss.

Think my reasoning came from the Dark Side………live & learn.

I will now assume that fatter tyres will therefore make me a mountain biking God & allow me to do wheelies & perfect bunny hops etc etc. 🙂

rob1984p
    Free Member

Mountain kings are way better than Speed kings for changing direction in my opinion.

timothecimmerian

I bought a pair of the Michelin AT 2.0" but not tried them yet. I had the 2.2" version (All mountain) previously as a front tyre a couple of years back and was impressed at their all round capabilities. They came up big which prevented me using as a rear, but these 2.0" ones with the same tread pattern seem an ideal compromise.

I think it was a glowing review of the 2.2" version in an old issue of Singletrack that prompted me to try them in the first place. For £10 each, it must be worth a look.

miketually
    Free Member

Might give the Speed Kings a go as the 2.2 Mountain kings I have on at the moment are almost worn flat.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

I got myself some of the Michelin XC AT's for a trip abroad simply cos they folded to put in my luggage easy and were cheap, and they were a brilliant tyre, used in mud, sand, rock, gravel, rivers no problems, climbed and descended great and good rolling on tarmac – just like the name All Terrain! So good I decided to order more.

carlosg
    Free Member

I'm going to try some of those speed kings , I had a pair of michelin 2.35 at tyres and wasn't that impressed with them but different tyres work better for some than others , I really get on with panaracer fire xc pro's but know people who don't

neilnevill
    Free Member

the MK in a 2.4 is mahoosive, however in the 2.2 it is dinky, how they mesure them I have no idea!

DT78
    Free Member

I bought a pair of cont sport contacts for commuting and a pair of speed kings for summer events. At £10 each that's 4 tyres for the price of a schwalbe nobbly nic….

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘On-One £10 tyre deals – any of them worth having?’ is closed to new replies.