Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Phone as GPS
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Is there cheap/free software to allow me to use my Nokia N82 to guide me round London when I pick up my new car?

It's a bit of a 1-off so I CBA buying an expenzive package/subscription.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Yup, Nokia maps or Google maps will kind of do the job for free if it's just a one-off. Or there might be proper GPS apps you can download and use for free for a trial period – try the Nokia Ovi store.

Be aware that GPS kills battery life so go with the phone fully charged and some ready printed turn by turn instructions from Google Maps, AA Route Planner etc

clubber
    Free Member

And make sure you have the latest firmware on your phone as it usually makes quite a difference to how well the GPS works.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Please, please tell me you've not bought a classic car and your first outing is driving back through London north to Edinburgh.

It'll end in tears

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cheers all – I use sportstracker so am aware of the battery isues and will also print out AA directions.

And get roadside recovery, Pete – yes!:

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C115650

Give me a wave if you are on the M40/M6/A74M or A702 Fri/Sat 😀

Android
    Free Member

You want Nokia Sports tracker http://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/main/index.do
    You can download your routes to the site and view on Google maps or Earth.

also gives a speed / altitude graph which corelates with your position on the map when you hover over the graph, so you can see how fast you are going and where.

And its free:D

MrNutt
    Free Member

dammit Al thats one tasty motor!!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thanks MrNutt – made it up ok – albeit slowly.

Maps software was an utter godsend getting out of the smoke, thanks all 😀

soma_rich
    Free Member

Hows the car? as good as it looks?

HTTP404
    Free Member

Lovely.
    However, you need to look like Simon Templar to drive one.

cynic-al
    Free Member

It's OK – a few bits of rust but nothing structural and little prior welding.

Mechanically works fine but no OD and steering box worn, lots fo little things to sort out also.

duntstick
    Free Member

Lovely car, one of my biggest regrets was not swapping my old Fiesta with my driving instructors tatty old red one.

Turns out it had the original logbook with Pinewood studios on it and has since been restored to it's proper colour.

It now lives in a car museum in Oldham I believe.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Phone as GPS’ is closed to new replies.