Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • on a serious note – internet trolling
  • dogbert
    Free Member

Watched the Panorama thing about cyber bullying and one thing struck me……..trolling, really, what is the point exactly?

I can understand if it’s a spirited argument that gets out of hand or posting a slightly provocative topic and watching it gather pace (let’s face it, that’s all that really happens on here, 99% of it is fairly harmless) but purposely seeking out or creating RIP pages on facebook to post hateful vitriol has to be just about the scummiest thing i’ve seen in a long time……..but then to try and defend it without the slughtest remorse and to act like it’s their god given internet rights, surely these people need to be hunted for sport.

And i don’t mean this as a “this forum/some posters” thread, purely a “some people/piss boiling” thread

djglover
    Free Member

Oh god, are you one of them bedwetters.

maccruiskeen

purposely seeking out or creating RIP pages on facebook to post hateful vitriol has to be just about the scummiest thing i’ve seen in a long time

Thats not trolling

highclimber
    Free Member

Thats not trolling

this.

The media say it is but trolling is just trying to start a discussion by being cock

SandyThePig
    Free Member

Yeah. Media in completely missing the point shocker. The folk featured on Panorama were thick, bigoted and abusive. I wouldn’t say that was trolling really.

Being a good troll requires much more subtlety, and the ability to twist words and sentences to wind people up, without being blatently obvious. Replying with stuff like “Dead person, you were a whore” isn’t trolling IMO.

KT1973
    Free Member

Trolling is basically shit stirring. It’s deliberately trying to provoke a reaction.
    Like I do to some of the bellends on here. 😉

chewkw
    Free Member

I step on you. 😆

joao3v16
    Free Member

Trolling is the perfect antidote to all the weirdos who think interwebs fori should be taken as seriously as real life.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Like the Mods, for instance…

iDave
    Free Member

“Trolling is the perfect antidote to all the weirdos who think interwebs fori should be taken as seriously as don’t have a real life.”

aracer
    Free Member

Being a good troll requires much more subtlety, and the ability to twist words and sentences to wind people up, without being blatently obvious.

So those people were just bad trolls?

Junkyard
    Free Member

WTF is the point saying something you dont mean just for a reaction..childish , immature and mainly pointless.

Of course I did not watch the programme we are discussing 😉

derekrides
    Free Member

Yes, there needs to be another expression, those ignorant psychos (who’ll immediately claim aspergers syndrome if caught) have nothing to do with proper trollism, which is in itself an art form.

Talk about giving trolls a bad name.

Especially in a place like this, troll nirvana.

yunki
    Free Member

so we’ve made a distinction between trolling and psychotic neanderthal abuse..

but surely trolls.. even by our concensus description.. are still nerdy little sociopathic bellends with personality defects.. seeking validation in their own skewed view of normality because they are so terrified of their inferiority complexes..?

just a thought..

Junkyard
    Free Member

wow Derek subtle as ever so psychos and Learning disability in the same sentence..if it is an art form derek then you are the one who turns up with a hammer smashes it all and then claims to be “perfomance art”
    I wish you well in getting a life

Actually Yunki put it better than me

DezB
    Free Member

WTF is the point saying something you dont mean just for a reaction..childish , immature and mainly pointless.

People think its funny? (or in derekrides case: clever?)

Just as bad on here are people who’s only response to a post is “Trolling, surely?” (or similar). Totally f-in pointless.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Dez are you trolling ?
    IGMC

Yes they do but I still maintain it is childish, opatheitc and a bit pointless or as yunki says

nerdy little sociopathic bellends with personality defects.. seeking validation in their own skewed view of normality because they are so terrified of their inferiority complexes..

I do find it a bit sad tbh. Just say what you think, it is hardly difficult to master annoying folk and provoking a reaction.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Well said. One of the lamest things on here is someone saying something daft, realising they’re looking like an idiot, and then saying “Ha ha, I was just saying that for the lolz and I got U hook line and sinker”.
    Trying to save face when being an idiot by claiming to be an even bigger idiot.

southbeds
    Free Member

Nimrod Severn AKA Darren Burton. check his new facebook page

teasel
    Free Member

trolls.. even by our concensus description.. are still nerdy little sociopathic bellends with personality defects.. seeking validation in their own skewed view of normality because they are so terrified of their inferiority complexes

Very nicely put, particularly the highlighted bit.

Bit sad really…

duntmatter
    Free Member

Say what you mean. Otherwise who are you?

derekrides
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member
    wow Derek subtle as ever so psychos and Learning disability in the same sentence..if it is an art form derek then you are the one who turns up with a hammer smashes it all and then claims to be “perfomance art”
    I wish you well in getting a life

Actually Yunki put it better than me

Dude everyone puts stuff better than you..

As for hammer smashing – too manual for my taste – I tend to the Damian Hirst technique with “performance art” employ others, that formaldehyde is sooo smelly.

DezB
    Free Member

Dude everyone puts stuff better than you..

followed by..

I tend to the Damian Hirst technique with “performance art” employ others, that formaldehyde is sooo smelly.

Except you eh? 😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

Dude everyone puts stuff better than you.

Very amusing but not quite everyone 😆

derekrides
    Free Member

DezB – Member

Except you eh?

Dude how could you? 😥

I thought that post was really kewell, even googled the formaldehyde spelling..

I’m wasted here..

talking to junkyards ffs

maccruiskeen

Proper trolling isn’t winding people up for fun, or bullying, or posting deliberate offensive, derogatory or defamatory material. Its starting or contributing to a conversation in a way that prompts a knee-jerk from people to reveal more about themselves than they are aware of, and especially to make them reveal their flaws. Socratic Irony.

Most PR driven news stories are trolls, most radio/TV phone-in-phone-in-your-opinions shows are trolls. The Daily Mail is a massive troll site, trolling both its readers and its non-readers

It has been suggested that the perfect troll is a thread that starts:

“I see Margaret Thatcher has been rushed into hospital. Heres hoping!”

teasel
    Free Member

The last part is wonderfully ambiguous and as you point out, would bring out some folks true nature…as long as they weren’t trolling of course.

I think we can at least agree that the term internet troll is as ambiguous as your example, the reasons for their actions being incredibly varied.

maccruiskeen

What is a mystery though… no matter how ‘clever’ is why anyone would bother. There are plenty of funnier and more rewarding things you could do with your time – like rubbling lard on the cat’s boil for instance.

tagger
    Free Member

It has been suggested that the perfect troll is a thread that starts:

“I see Margaret Thatcher has been rushed into hospital. Heres hoping!”
    That’s not a troll, that’s simply spreading mailocious news about a great woman, your sick.

yossarian
    Free Member

Troll is a lazy word used by lazy people. It doesn’t mean anything anymore. Argumentative? Troll. Rude? Troll. Stubborn? Troll (or TJ). On a wind up? Troll. Etc

Those people on panorama were being nasty bastards. Why invent another meaning for a different word?

Troll is a rubbish internet word. CBA with it.

maccruiskeen

your sick

my sick? 🙂

Anyway, heres hoping…… she gets well soon.

maccruiskeen

Those people on panorama were being nasty bastards. Why invent another meaning for a different word?

Its just lazy journalism, you can make old news new news if you make technology the vector. Like crap about someone being murdered by a guy they met on facebook, as if thats signficant in a way that being murdered by someone you meet on a bus, or at a wedding, or at the opera isn’t

tagger
    Free Member

maccruiskeen – Member

Its just lazy journalism
    , you can make old news new news if you make technology the vector.
    Posted 52 seconds ago # Report-Post

😳

rob-jackson
    Free Member

does he still have a real active profile?

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘on a serious note – internet trolling’ is closed to new replies.