Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Olympus PEN 1
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Any one using one?

Quite fancy one, affordable sh, but lack of flash and slow af seem drawbacks.

donsimon
    Free Member

Google for reviews?
    You could always hang on until they bring out the “1S” model in time for Christmas.

nerd
    Free Member

I have a PEN E-PL2 which has the faster focusing lens (the 14-42 mk II) and a built in flash. It’s supposed to be a “simplified” version of the PEN E-P2 but it doesn’t lack anything in terms of adjusting settings for the shot, it’s just missing one control dial but still has a thumb wheel control.

I got an ex-demo model cheap from Jessops and really rate it. I upgraded from a Canon G10, so my experiences are based on that.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ha ha DS I knew some loser would come up with that!

I’ve done reviews, youtube.

donsimon
    Free Member

100% satisfaction guaranteed. 😛

5thElefant
    Free Member

Do you mean the e-p1?

Be wary of reviews on AF. They speeded up AF with a firmware release and the e-p1 runs the same algorythms as the e-p2 now so e-p2 reviews are more relevent.

AF is no good for fast moving things like dogs/kids etc but is fine for static things. Actually it feels pretty fast for static subjects even if you’re used to a dslr.

The 14-42mm kit lens is pretty good, especially outside. Inside and/or in poor light it will struggle to focus. It is very small.

The 16mm is smaller and better. It will focus in near darkness – dim pubs, light of a campfire etc.

ISO performance is pretty good. With the 16mm lens you can get quite acceptable images from the light of a campfire.

I had the e-p1 and upgraded to the e-p2.The biggest difference is the e-p2 can accept an external viewfinder. If you don’t need one then the e-p1 offers great value.

The big difference between the e-p1/e-p2 and e-p3 is the e-p3 will focus faster. But, this only applies to static subjects. It’s still no good at tracking moving targets so the benefit isn’t quite as important as it seems.

grum
    Free Member

lack of flash isn’t an issue imo – on board flash pics almost always look awful anyway.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ta. I take it it has manual focus which would work ish for sports?

I’ve also read it takes a proprietry flash which costs a bomb?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Yeah, manual focus or plan where you’ll take the shot and AF on that point and hold the shutter release at half press until the subject arrives where you want it.

The flashes are cheap (relative to other flashes). The little pocket flash which has about twice the range of a pop-up flash can be had for under £100 new on ebay. Big ones from £150.

On the subject of manual focus… it’s lovely. At the press of a button it’ll zoom in to let you get the focus perfect. Makes using old manual focus lenses a pleasure and you can mount pretty much anything on a pen. I’ve got a heap of old lenses which I bought mostly for video but there’s a couple I use regularly for stills too.

miketually
    Free Member

My sister and her hubby are big into photography. They’re walking the Pacific Crest trail next year, and have both got cameras from this range as light(er)weight alternatives to DSLRs for that. They seem to rate them.

Roblilly
    Free Member

I have an EP1 and I’m not a photo buff. Takes really nice photos, compact and good to handle. Wish it would zoom more but maybe I need a different lense??

Very pleased with it

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ta gents…even don.

plumber
    Free Member

I have the EPL1 which is 259 on amazon at the moment – I find it very good actually – nice enough for a kit lense and of course you can get other lenses

plum

brant
    Free Member

Are they making a PEN 1S?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Spotted a EPL1 in Dixons today for £250 inc 14-42 lens.

Seems a similar camera with flash, but I can’t find any comparison reviews, can anyone enlighten me?

EDIT – I think I’ve found what I need….fewer dials and a bit less “pro”, still got in-body IS but no AF assist light.

alanl
    Free Member

What no-one has mentioned is the lack of a viewfinder. Yes, the screen can be used most of the time, but what happens in bright sunshine?
    I wouldnt think of getting a camera without a viewfinder. The PEN’s look great, and are pretty cool fashion items, but let down by the screen only viewer.
    I know there is a separate viewfinder available to plug into the top, but have you seen the price of it, and how it ruins the lines of the camera?
    Alan.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I know what you mean, but I rarely use mine, and you can get hoods for the screens.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I have the viewfinder. Rarely use it. I haven’t found framing a show-stopper in sunlight.

grum
    Free Member

I don’t find the lack of a VF a problem in the vast majority of situations on my GF1

molgrips
    Free Member

lack of flash isn’t an issue imo – on board flash pics almost always look awful anyway.

Better than a black screen tho eh?

Perhaps if you just need to record something rather than take a pleasure shot?

Has to be said, the current prices of E-PL1s represent a fantastic deal imo.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Hmmmmm EPL1 £250

But….GF2 £299 w/14mm or 14-42…Monsieur, with your touchscreen, you are spoiling us!

5thElefant
    Free Member

Panasonic use lens based stabilisation on their zoom lens, but not primes. Olympus has in-body stabilisation so all lens are stabilised.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Olympus PEN 1’ is closed to new replies.