Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • olympics – toughest sport?
  • jfletch
    Free Member

T = (E x ah/mh)^t + k

Where
    T is toughness
    E is energy
    ah is average heart rate
    mh is max heart rate
    k is kicks to the face
    t is tightness of kit

thewanderer
    Free Member

How about dnf / no. Competitors?

Harry_the_Spider

Women’s Beach volleyball… just watching it made me feel stiff.

IGMC

molgrips
    Free Member

Maybe DNF, or perhaps the number of peple who needed help either after retiring or finishing. I think the OW swim was the highest, wasn’t it? Cancellara needed help after crashing in the cycling, there was that rower…

loum
    Free Member

juan
    Free Member

Judo

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Boxing.

The other sports mentioned are purely governed by how hard you push yourself. Boxing – if you ease up for a second you get your head punched off by a muscly angry man.

crikey
    Free Member

Commentating. There’s always someone who could do it better.

molgrips
    Free Member

you get your head punched off by a muscly angry man.

Wearing cushions on his hands, and you’re wearing a cushion on your head.

I know some of the hits are hard but some looked like right pansy slaps.

bratty

The tour de france may not be run off at 100% every day, and some days some riders have easy rides, but overall for a contender it is harder than some here have made it sound. The first week is usually run off super fast, then the contenders and climbers have to work hard in the mountains. In between there are often a few slower transition stages, but these still entail 25 mph averages at least over 100+ miles. Yes there are two rest days, but they still go out for a couple of hours. Crashes, injury and illness make things harder of course.

I am not saying it is harder than say rugby or boxing, but it is very tough.

clubber
    Free Member

no tdf at the Oylimpcs tho 😉

clubber
    Free Member

The other sports mentioned are purely governed
    by how hard you push yourself

I think that at the Olympics you can rely on people being able to push themselves quite far…

mudshark
    Free Member

Hey that would be good, a stage race over the entire Olympic fortnight.

Edric64
    Free Member

Brownlee completed the 43km cycle in 59.03. Great Britain’s Bradley Wiggins won gold in the 44km time trial in 50.39.

Thats about 17%slower / and the 10,000 metres was tactical the time difference is massive he would get lapped nearly twice in a fast race.Loads of people can do 59 mins for a 43km tt many riders do that for a flat 25 every week.I agree that the 3 events together is an amazing feat but the individual times are not brilliant against those in solo events but the stamina of Brownlee to be pretty good at all three is amazing

ebygomm
    Free Member

it’s not easy to define how hard something is. Is an event that you can complete however slowly (eg. 1500m swim) actually tougher than one you couldn’t do at all (10m diving)?

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘olympics – toughest sport?’ is closed to new replies.