• This topic has 25 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by br.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Old PCs – what to do?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I have a couple of old Dells, 300 quid as refurbs/deals a decade ago, worth anything now?…or would anyone want donated?

Also the predecessor, too slow even 10 years ago (can’t remember the spec of any of them!).

Keyboards for most but no screen.

everyone
    Free Member

Could you stick a big hdd in them and use them as a media pc?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I have a NAS already ta, and a PVR.

chambord
    Free Member

Local CoderDojo or Code Club?

They can probably stick a linux distro on and get some use out of them.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I have no use for them, and am not techie anyway (failed linux install on one!) I have a laptop and tablet.

EDIT I see – to donate, cheers

bungle

Charity?

The Turing Trust (http://turingtrust.co.uk) might want them. The organizer is a relative of Alan Turing and gave a speech about the trust at the last Turing Lecture.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

I would put them on gumtree or freecycle and hopefully someone will come and collect them, and save you the hassle of taking them down the tip. 🙂

scotroutes

I’m disappointed Al. I’d have expected you to install them in the Eunos and develop your competitor to Googles self-driving car.

garage-dweller

Some charities take them, secure wipe and send to developing world or community projects. Might be worth a search in your area as you usually need to drop off.

Xylene
    Free Member

extract the gold from the circuit boards at home.

Read of a guy in india making his millions doing this.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Surely ECC will have the appropriate reception facilities at the tip? Stuff like that is usually forwarded to a charity who will then do the above and either salvage good bits or put the machine to use. Worth making a call to find out.

Del

If you’e going to give them away with the HD intact the least I would do is hit them with Boot and Nuke. free download, just write it to disk, or you can probably put it on a USB as well.

jimc101
    Free Member

Drill the HDD and microwave the memory to be sure

footflaps

Surely Nuke from Orbit is the only way to be sure…..

br
    Free Member

Take out the HD, store at home and then take the rest to the tip for recycling.

Cougar

DBAN the hard drive, step away from Mr Robot. (-:

dmorts

These guys might take them – http://edinburghhacklab.com/

miketually
    Free Member

Take out the HD, store at home

What is the point of storing the HDD?

squirrelking
    Free Member

In case someone finds some expired credit card info that was used to buy something from a site that no longer exists.

Pure paranoia for the most part, DBAN is more than enough, the till receipts people throw away contain more info.

br
    Free Member

What is the point of storing the HDD?

‘cos then you know where it is, they take up next-to-no space and stops anyone accessing any data on it you’ve left behind

miketually
    Free Member

Is your house full of old receipts, bills and bank statements?

bear-uk
    Free Member

Local School took mine. The kids take them apart and build one super pc to take over the world 😯

mattyfez

With hard drives you can remove the metal plate, usually small torx screws to reveal the shiny disc inside.. Scratch the surface with a screw driver or something, and throw in some sand/grit for good measure.. It’ll never work again.

Well technically some data might be recovered but the cost would be staggering so unless you are an international arms dealer or something it won’t be worth the effort to try to read the disk.

Or Ccleaner has a built in drive wipe facility that writes zeros and ones over the whole drive, multiple times which is considered a safe wipe.

Then just bin it.

Northwind

Old HDDs unless they’re tiny are just plain useful- stick a backup on it.

footflaps

Just drill a hole through the HDD…..

br
    Free Member

Is your house full of old receipts, bills and bank statements?

No. I shred them 🙂

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Old PCs – what to do?’ is closed to new replies.