Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Old high mileage TT cabrio as second car (mostly for my twice a week commute)
  • big_scot_nanny

Hello folks,

I’ve taken a new job, that requires me to make a longish commute twice a week. Door to door by public transport its 2hrs each way. With a car that knocks down to 55 mins.

Looking at getting a completely impractical mid life crisis wagon, say max 10k folding, for those days and also quick escapes with the missus sans-kids. And I co do with being able to mount a bike rack as well.

Completely taken by high mileage second gen TT cabrios. 2008 2.0litre models with 90k ish miles seem to be in budget, from a main dealer.

Any tales of woe? Amy other suggestions?

Ta – and please note I am a fat forty year old so obvs a cabrio is perfect…

isitafox
    Free Member

I don’t think you’ll go too wrong as long as it’s got history and has had everything done that should be. Best having a look on a TT forum to see what kind of problems you might run into, I know some of the mk1 bits but not sure on mk2.

shifter
    Free Member

2008 is not old!
    A dozen years ago I could get a Mount Vision inside a mark 1 coupe. Where you’d put a rack, or a bike, on the convertible I don’t know.
    I couldn’t find roof bars for mine either, though I did see one with some on. Thule do them for the mark 2.
    I liked mine, nice place to be for an hour.

rickmeister

Another option is the audisport forum… Some very helpful people on there.

Think the earlier1.9t engine in both power outputs is pretty reliable. A lot of problems ironed out as the tt was a late user of this engine.

With most Audi motors, check belts and water pump have been done and the haldex oil changes if it’s a Quattro…

As mentioned 90k isn’t ask lot really. Great interior and a nice place to be.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Do they do them in any colours other than grey or black?

stox
    Free Member

White!

ronniethescot
    Free Member

As stated above, join the ttforum, lots of helpful advice on there and a for sale section.
    I recently bought a TT as a 2nd car, pre mid life crisis as I was only 36!
    8k should get a decent car, I’d buy on history rather than mileage, make sure the cambelt, water pump, tensioner have been done, along with regular servicing haldex ect.
    I picked up a low mileage MK1 coupe in perfect nick for £4500, it’s been a blast so far.

hardupdad
    Free Member

My brother in law just got a coupe with 30k on for just over 11k you might find some lower mileage in budget. I used to drive a 225 Quattro and I have to admit it could do anything you chucked at it but felt a little numb.

I have a Porsche 944 which cost pocket money now and that’s a blast!

Enjoy whatever you end up with. BTW a Porsche Boxter and 996 are probably both in budget too ; ) don’t tel everyone though I’m saving up!

hora
    Free Member

Cabrios can be seasonal in price. If you are sure on the TT wait a few weeks?

08 IS old in main dealers terms usually though. They tend to punt that sort of age in now. Does it have a full 12mnth warranty with it? After its hit 100k what will it be worth? Wait I say.

big_scot_nanny

Hmm, OK, surprisingly positive. Thanks all. I have been sniffing around the Audi forums, and it does seem to be timing belt, water pump and FSH that are key. I want a main dealer one as I want a warranty, and prepared to pay a bit more for that security (it’s a good local dealer, bought my T5 off them – could I be any more of a cliche?)

I really wish you had not mentioned the Porsche however. By gum, you are right, they are in budget!

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

White!

Only recently though.
    I’ve been looking half heartedly for a cheap sports car and colours other than black or grey are in very short supply. I suppose during the credit crunch having a bright yellow car in the company car park would mark you out as frivolous and not a team player…

There’s a bright blue Cayman down the road though that looks the nuts!

stumpy01

I wouldn’t call 2008 old, nor 90k high miles!

Go for it. I’d get the coupe, rather than the convertible myself, but have never really liked convertibles.
    Look into roof issues/leaks before parting with your cash.

My brother had the 225 version of the original TT (his was an X plate – so, roundabout 2000, I think). It was a very nice car. Not a drivers car, but lovely all the same.

2008 would be the second gen shape, I think.

BillMC

If you’re having a wobble, DO NOT have a test drive in a Boxster, it will mess up your thinking completely.

NZCol

B7 RS4 and do it properly man. You could almost squeeze a 996 4s or 2s in that range for folding….not a TT please.

bikebouy
    Free Member

You can fit a Saris Bones 2 on the back of roadster TT 😉

As is, brilliant cars. Quiet, comfortable, reasonably quick, everythings screwed down correctly.
    Service history a must, coil packs and rad/fans are the only real weak points and even then they’re not weak, just need looking an eye on.
    Tyres, it’ll much through them on the front.

Can you push the the RS?? 😉

Great car, big smiles.

Do it!

alibongo001

I would say for that money and age a Boxter would be a much better car.

Having said that I had one of the first 3.2 v6 TTs and it was a great car.

If you try the V6, you may not want a 1.8t – I had a 225 1.8t after the v6 and thought it was quite agricultural after the bigger engine.

I would take my time at this time of the year, try a couple and then buy when the prices soften at the start of the winter.

big_scot_nanny

Right – update!
    TTs test driven today. 3.2 Coupe is way too much car, a bit low and dark. Sounds good though.
    TT cabrio 2L really liked, great roof, nice turbo oomph, but a wee bit lumpen to steer (same as coupe)
    Both very comfortable to sit in for 6’4″ fat bloke.

Question – if I get that ‘wawawawa’ low level speed related noise – means one or more of the tires is buggered – yes?

Staying away from Porsche for now, maybe in the future it’d have to be a proper 911.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“if I get that ‘wawawawa’ low level speed related noise – means one or more of the tires is buggered – yes?”

Based on that poor description id normally default to a dying wheel bearing or possible sticking brake caliper (vag cars notorious for it – usually rear left)

Ive never known a tire to make an audible noise that can be described as a wawawawa noise UNLESS it has debris sticking out.

big_scot_nanny

Hmmm – OK. that doesn’t sound good.

Maybe a ‘woohwoohwoohwooh’ is a better descriptor? 😀

‘wamwamwamwamwam’is acutally even closer. Seriously. gets faster/slower with speed. But its low level, not a cabin filling noise.

Any ideas how to diagnose? Nothing felt through steering, it was nice and tight, no wobbles, knocking or pulls.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ok 2 things, wheel bearing on the rear or the rear pads are binding on the discs, probably one side (as mentioned). Mine had a sticking handbrake cable and had to get it replaced they had to change the caliper seals too. Audi stamped on the peddle hard to release it on the way into the garage, it worked then they just changed the cable (it’s a known issue and thats how you get them released)
    Was it the DSG version? could have been the mechtronic box but they usually just stick in D if they fail so I’d not worry about that.
    Did the steering wobble? If so I’d say its the brakes binding on the front (unusual as these are always the first to bite) but could be a wheel baring.

The MK1 Coupe is a little dark, but then you are a tall/big bloke so it’s going to be. Have you tried the Roadster MK1? If you can the 3.2 & DSG is the way to go. The cabin in the Roadster is a little dark too since the roof is black fabric, it’s not too bad at all in the real world but does depend on your current car and if you are used to that. Te MK2 is much bigger inside and more airy IMO.

I’ve offered advice on here about TT’s before, if you want to take it offline my emails in my profile.

geoffj

Could the sound not be wind noise from the roof?

hammyuk
    Free Member

Contrary to the above – the Turbo Quattro in DSG is the one both of the friends who are VW Techs recommend.
    The V6 sounds lovely but its is considerably heavier and messes with the balance in the later chassis.
    DSG is the 6 speed wet clutch so far better than the later dry clutch and the one to have.
    Will handle far more power than the later box too WHEN you decide to play with it. You will too.
    The V6 is ridiculously difficult to get any more power out off. The Turbo is very, very, very easy to take to 275/300 with very little work and up to 400+ with intake/injector/exhaust.
    The V6 requires a supercharger to get above 275.
    ABP did an official R32 a few years back and its the same system you need on the A3/TT.
    Add in Quattro and its really not worth the extra weight of the V6 apart form that noise….
    My money would buy the TTS over the V6 – Magnetic ride, DSG, 270bhp and loads of fun.

lunge

Irrelevant of what the noise is, if you’re buying from a dealer can you not say “I’ll buy it but only when that noise is fixed”?

big_scot_nanny

Bikebouy – can you mail me? your profile seems to go to ‘Adrian’ with no email.

geoffj – could be, need a second drive, but it reminded me a lot of my old Saab – wheel bearings it could be

Hammy – I used to be a WRX STI driver, like 10 years ago, and loved it, but almost killing myself over a hmupback bridge sideways in Fife made me stick to more sedate mototring – please don’t make me want to start buggering about with turbos again! 🙂

big_scot_nanny

Lunge – yes – I think it will come down to that, already started on ‘needs 4 new tires and a spare set of winter wheels’ 🙂

stumpy01

“if I get that ‘wawawawa’ low level speed related noise – means one or more of the tires is buggered – yes?”

My car ends up with that noise if I use Kumho’s on the rear wheels. They wear unevenly on the inside edge & make that kind of noise – a bit like a rumbly bearing, but different.
    Check if it’s had cheaper aftermarket tyres fitted & it could be that.

The garage I use reckon it’s quite common on VAG group cars due to their suspension design.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I think it will come down to that, already started on ‘needs 4 new tires and a spare set of winter wheels’

on a 7 year old car with nearly 100k miles…..

if you get that thrown in with the deal your paying waaay too much pound notes in the first place.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Of course you don’t want to bugger about with turbos – but you will anyway…..
    Beauty of the TTS is that its basically the S3 lump so its nothing more than “reminding” the ECU of that 😉

jimdubleyou

I rue the day I decided to sell my mk1 Roadster in favour of a bigger 4×4. Should have sold the wife’s runaround instead.

225/Quattro is the way forward, baseball leather seats if you like that sort of thing.

In addition to the mechanicals mentioned above, make sure the instrument cluster works and has no dropped pixels – that’s expensive if you can’t get Audi to pay for it.

You can get all manner of racks for the boot – should get a 29er on there easily…

big_scot_nanny

I wish there was a ‘like’ button (I know, not the first to mention) – many thanks folks.

Now, to convince the missus…

(Its more economical than a focus/golf/fabia becuase… :-)c’mon, help me!)

hammyuk
    Free Member

Same engine “basically” as the golf so 4 seats, coupe has a boot, adjustable ride on the TTS (which the golf doesnt have) – need more?

Sundayjumper

£10k, midlife crisis, convertible. You’re definitely in 996 territory. And you can get a roof rack for them – CLICK.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ll agree with the Mk1 3.2 being a bit heavy on the front, quite right it has a bigger lump in there. Also the DSG gearbox is a bit heavy too, but then it was designed for it so hey.
    As for the 225, no idea what they’re like, not my kinda car but I expect they’ll be as good.
    Good point about the dash, some of them do suffer with dropped pixels (forgot about that) £250 for a recon dash incl fitting. Or, on some, the pixels seem to fix themselves and you may only get one or two blob out. I have seen an inner dash completely blanked out as all the pixels have gone, but then the guy who owned it kept it outside with a tonnau cover on and not the roof up.

Ok, heres some more tips: MK! related..
    Aircon, can dry out and the pump overheats, knackerd and don’t be fooled into thinking it just needs a regas.. Probs needs a new pump.
    Coil Packs, often missfire issues on startup or damp or short journeys, AUDI free replacement so make sure the coil packs are grey not black.
    Rad Fans, the sensors blow. The rad fans then overrun and either stay on or don’t come on. Check fuses in the box, if they’re crusty then its possibly worth checking the fans are working (air con and main)
    Another issue, missfires.. not coil pack related… sometimes on short journeys you may get a missfire for about 30-40 seconds.. don’t be tempted by all the AUDI nonsence about timing chains and crank sensors not alighned cos thats rubbish.. it’s normally the sensor in the rad feeding the wrong info to the mixture sensors and over riching the mixture.. Just give it a minuite or two to clear and go merrily on your way. Can happen once a month or once every few months – known fault by AUDI but they have a policy of changing the timing chains whether they need it or not as a fix, but thats £600 wasted.
    Never heard of a hood not closing/opening properly but always good to check the movement (if it’s electric powered)
    Replace the front sidelights with LED bulbs, you will find if not you have a winking eye look about the car no matter how many times you replace the bulbs with the normal filiment ones.
    Drivers heated mirror, can overheat leading to a blown glass or fuse, check that.

About it so far, if I remember anymore I’ll let you know.

I do know of a MK1 3.2 DSG roadie for sale if you are interested..

kcal

I have a mate, 6′ 3″ or thereabouts, who bought a 911 as a mid-life (we’re talking turning 50) crisis.
    He’s in Houston so living the Local Hero dream – thing is, he sheepishly admits it’s too big for him (though it may be a hard-top rather than a cabrio / soft-top / targa. Just saying 🙂

Ro5ey
    Free Member

C’mon people I’m disappointed

Where’s the new job OP … ?

In a hair dressers

😆

(sorry only pulling your leg… that would be a fun car to have)

jamj1974

garage I use reckon it’s quite common on VAG group cars due to their suspension design.

Believe it’s often due to how bushings wear. They then end up with more camber than original.

JulianA
    Free Member

My A4 goes wwwahwwwahwwwah from the back end and I have ‘stepping’ on my rear tyres (Michelin – brilliant tyres, stick very well).

That said, the rear tyres are still good after almost 30000 miles so not really a problem.

Tracking and wheel bearings have been checked and it’s neither of those. The noise is not loud and doesn’t worry me and obviously doesn’t wear the tyres out overly quickly so I’m not spending money trying to find the issue.

BikeBouy speaks truth about coil packs!

Sundayjumper

?? I’m 6’4″ and:
    Air cooled – no chance, they’re tiny.
    996 / 997 – just about OK if it’s a non-sunroof hardtop but I couldn’t wear a helmet in there (e.g. to do a track day). Steering wheel adjusts in/out but not up/down and that would help my knees if it did.
    991 – a tiny bit bigger. But not by much.

So for your mate to be 6’3″ and think it’s too big I’m quite confused !

big_scot_nanny

I read that as a typo: ‘it’s’ instead of ‘he’s’

Sat in an mX5 for a laugh – TINY! nae chunce. Still haven’t driven a porsche, just can’t do it.

Had a look at beemers, Z4 I think, but a bit meh and I remembered that my first propoer new car, a 318 back in 1999 was the most unreliable car I ever owned.

So – I’ve gone an bought a TT rds. Good price in the end, 4 new summer tires, we haggled on 50/50 on costs of winter wheel set, and I pick it up next Monday. I’m happy with that.

I may be on here soon being very unhappy, but what the hell, you only live once! 😉

Kev

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Old high mileage TT cabrio as second car (mostly for my twice a week commute)’ is closed to new replies.