Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Old consoles and games – anybody kept them or get sell ‘em?
  • Frankenstein
    Free Member

Still decluttering my hoard…

Found old consoles, great games but have not played in 18 years.

What do you do with them?

Tech moves on, why keep them? Can’t play them on modern consoles anyway.

PSX

XBOX

PS2

Xbox 360S

not exactly antiques! But might these:

C64

Amiga1200.

giantalkali
    Free Member

I sold my Intellivision and about 15 games recently, 40 years old and still working!

squirrelking
    Free Member

Some people keep, some sell. Nice stealth ad BTW. 😉

gnusmas

Still got my master system, mega drive, games for each, a converter to play master system games on the mega drive and a mega cd.

Thinking of selling the lot myself. Nostalgia is great, but been boxed in the cupboard untouched for 20 odd years.

Cougar

Can’t play them on modern consoles anyway.

I assume you mean modern TVs.  The only one you’ll have a problem with there is the C64, and it should still work if your TV still has an analogue tuner.  One of the fortunate side-effects of the Amiga’s external modulator is you can just throw it away and use the native S-Video out.

I have:

Atari 2600 VCS, ZX Spectum 48K, Atari 1040 STE, Amiga A500+, PSX, Dreamcast, Gamecube, PS2, Xbox 360, Xbox One, a hoarding problem. (-:

cheers_drive

I have SNES with a few classic games. Haven’t used it for years though

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Cougar, the rf modulator is built in I think; in the A1200. Found my old rubber key ZX 48k Spectrum!

I sold 2 TV old CRT wise screen TV’s.

Lots of people have PSX/XboxOE so they won’t be antiques for another century.

My C64 and Amiga is mint.

I don’t have time to play my PS4.

My goal is to use a spare room for the bike/turbo.

Cougar

Cougar, the rf modulator is built in I think; in the A1200.

Ah right, that’s a bit of a bugger.  I don’t know much about the Miggy in honesty, I was an ST man.  I got the A500 long after the “scene” had passed.

Found my old rubber key ZX 48k Spectrum!

They’re still popular, I’m on a ZX Spectrum group on Facebook.  If you wanted to sell it then there would surely be takers.  (There’s a specific “Sinclair for Sale” group.)

Cougar

Speaking of Speccies,

I backed this on Kickstarter:  https://www.specnext.com/about/

simon_g

I still have a load of GameCube and Dreamcast stuff along with an original Xbox in a cupboard. I sometimes convince myself the kids will play with them when they’re a bit older but I may be wrong on that.

Also had a really bad habit for buying weird peripherals that are all taking up space. Samba di Amigo maracas, Donkey Konga bongos, the endless Guitar Hero / Rock Band instruments…

Everything prior to that era though can be emulated perfectly well on a Rasperry Pi these days. Been meaning to build a mini arcade machine using one to cover that whole period of time.

bearnecessities

I’ve still got my Panasonic 3DO with the original need for speed. What a revelation that was back in the day.

submarined
    Free Member

A friend of mine and her husband make a living out of selling retro games and consoles, predominantly to middle aged men with hoarding habits…

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I kept a PS2 just for Downhill Domination.  And still no better MTB game.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I’m not a hoarder anymore.

Nothing I can do about being middle aged lol

Thanks for the Spectrum tip.

Goid idea with the raspberry Pi, guess you can emulate consoles these days.  I emulated my Amiga for Sensible Workd of Soccer.

Rather play Horizon Zero Dawn on the Pro but will never forget the fun from the speccy/C64/Amiga.

Ended up buying Crash Bandicoot HD for the PS4 holding the original for PSX.

Resident Evil 2 + cheat cartridge + Zombies = unlimited ammo + Gatling Gun + Gore!

Cougar

Donkey Konga bongos, the endless Guitar Hero / Rock Band instruments…

Guilty.

dabaldie
    Free Member

I sold a set of Samba de Amigo Maracas on ebay for a guy in france 2 years ago for £150! Still have plenty of Dreamcast stuff, mother in law is always asking me to sell hers too but I’m holding fire for a few years as prices seem to go up and down a fair bit depending on what titles Sega/Nintendo are releasing,

Ive got an Acorn Electron and tonnes for games inc Elite and Chuckie Egg at my parents.

Northwind

I’ve got rid of most- managed to ditch most of them while they still had some value, which helped- but I’ve kept the gamecube and PS2 and a few favourites. Mostly just for sentimental value tbf, I’m never likely to play Gran Turismo again…

sbob
    Free Member

Mariokart.

SNES.

The gauntlet has been laid.

jamj1974

Mariokart.

SNES.

The gauntlet has been laid.

Best game of all time -hands down it’s Super Mario Bros 3.  I love Mario Kart but it is nowhere near as perfect as that.

My advice would be to hold on to stuff you have.  Prices for most of the 1980’s and early 1990’s stuff is rising.

breadcrumb

I had a MegaDrive and a few games that I sold recently. I bought a Pi instead. Takes up no space, uses a wireless PS3 controller and I can save games. Still get the nostalgia buzz.

al2000

I’ve written games on Amiga/ST/SNES/PC Engine/PSX/N64/Dreamcast/PS2/360/Wii/PS3/WiiU and have nearly all of them in the loft along with dev kits for some of them. Also got my old C64.

I like to have a record of the games I’ve worked on, although no idea why I’m keeping the hardware. Work exclusively on mobile stuff now, but have no real interest in holding onto any of that.

jamj1974

^^ I would love to hear more about that!

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’ve a N64 and PS2, also convinced I’d make the kids playroom into a bit of a gaming movie den. Downloaded Mario kart 64 onto the WiU and they were distinctly unimpressed. Can’t wait to show them the joys of Jetpac. Sitting in the top corner blasting away.

I do quite fancy one of those Pandora’s box things with the arcade switch gear mind you.

rmacattack
    Free Member

Part of me regrets dumping it all. Seeing as how I could have made a buck on some of it. Also for nostalgia of all them hours of life wasted on them.

But I know fine well even if I had them they still wouldn’t have been turned on. There is more modern was around it now, and my habits have changed.

reformedfatty
    Free Member

Ps2 still sat below the TV. Guitar hero and singstar remain pretty timeless imo as it’s about the players actions more than the on screen stuff

sbob
    Free Member

Best game of all time -hands down it’s Super Mario Bros 3. I love Mario Kart but it is nowhere near as perfect as that.

I just meant I’d kick anyone’s arse.

I’ve completed whole laps blindfolded and once missed Christmas because some Japanese kid had matched my best time and I needed to shave another 100th off.

Bowser FTW.

midlifecrashes

Still have my Atari 400 tucked away, I guess I’d better get it out again to amuse the teenagers while we still have a telly with an analogue tuner.

jamj1974

I just meant I’d kick anyone’s arse.

Where I come from, thems fighting words!

Oh and not in battle mode you wouldn’t…!

sbob
    Free Member

Oh and not in battle mode you wouldn’t…!

You’re right, never got into it.

kayla1
    Free Member

I’ve got an xbox 360 that I mainly play Skate 3 on and Retroarch (MAME, Megadrive and SNES) on my laptop. Rainbow Islands and New Zealand Story on the Megadrive and Bubble Bobble on the Master System are still ace and ridiculously hard. OH just rolls his eyes at me- got killed again, did you?

jamj1974

You’re right, never got into it.

I was hoping for a STW grudge match…  🙁

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Well I’ve put the original Xbox and PSX for sale on Schpock.

Found my 360 and might start it up and never did get around playing MGS2!

Keeping the Amiga and C64 for the future?

Cougar

Xbox 360 you say?  Red Dead Redemption and Life is Strange, then.  You can thank me later.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Old consoles and games – anybody kept them or get sell ‘em?’ is closed to new replies.