Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Old bike – tyres and tubes
  • benp1

I’ve secured my sisters bike for my wife. My dad bought it for my sister but she has never ridden it so apart from being parked up in my dad’s shed for about 12 years its brand new. It’s a rigid ladies Raleigh mountain bike, genuinely nothing special, 15 gears and rather pink but its better than my wife riding my road bike as it’ll be more comfortable and robust

I’ve adjusted the brakes and given it a bit of a wipe down and lube and its in remarkably good shape considering its stood still for such a long time, but the tyres look knackered – they’ve stood for a long time without any air in so the sides are cracked. I’ve pumped the tyres up and they’re holding air fine but she hasn’t really ridden properly.

Is there anything I can do to revive the tyres? They look aged and weathered so are probably a bit brittle. Don’t really want to buy new tyres as it’ll only get ridden a dozen times a year at most.

Also, are the inner tubes going to be OK? I haven’t bothered checking them and haven’t replaced them as my only spares at 29in or 700c and then is a 26 inch wheel

atlaz
    Free Member

Throw them and buy new ones. Given the age I’m guessing that it’s not a light weight MTB at all, in which case get down Poundstretcher and buy some new tubes (they also do tyres but who knows how they are) and then order some cheap tyres online.

Northwind

If they’re that old they were probably rubbish even before they went off, which it’ll be amazing if they haven’t. I’d replace for sure- doesn’t have to be posh rubber to be better and safer.

chip
    Free Member

I recently bought some Michelin country cross tyres for a tenner each from crc for my old rigid bike.
    Very unlikely but if you wife has an accident due to the old tyres you will kick yourself for being a tight git.

benp1

Unfortunately you’ve all given me the answers I was expecting, was just hoping to avoid buying new stuff

I’ll source some cheap new tubes and tyres. The latter being something cheap and cheerful

benp1

I’ve just remembered, its a Raleigh Zest!

chip
    Free Member

Unfortunately you’ve all given me the answers I was expecting, was just hoping to avoid buying new stuff
    I’ll source some cheap new tubes and tyres. The latter being something cheap and cheerful

Wise choice,
    If she bashes her face it will cost twice as much in make up, despite her explanation all her friends will think your a wife beater, and, if she finds out you had concerns but chose to not fit new tyres to save yourself a few quid, your conjugals will be right out the window for the foreseeable. 😀

Nobby

Halfords had some Michelins in last week for under a tenner and tubes going cheap too.

soobalias
    Free Member

CRC have 26″ tyres for 8.99.

only way you will get cheaper is a WTD ad, offer £10 plus postage for a pair of unloved folders, from someone who has gone 29/650

benp1

Yeah, looks like I can pick up a pair new for £20

I’ll stick up a wanted ad as a starting point

tthew

Perhaps consider some slicks or semi slicks. If it’s to replace a road bike, preusmably you’re not going to go anywhere hardcore?

robdob
    Free Member

There is an ebay seller doing a pair of Ritchey Z-max Evo tyres plus tubes for £18-19ish delivered. Some of the retrobike guys have them and they are great tyres, and at that price an absolute bargain. Think he does them £2 cheaper without tubes.

benp1

Slicks are an option, but if I’m honest knobblies would be better.

You should see some of the stuff we’ve been down on the roadbike, one section was singletrack in a field that I managed to get a double buggy down somehow (using a MTB to pull it). My wife followed on the roadbike and made it, plus on all the muddy roads/tracks up till that point. I was genuinely amazed at how well it did, I never would have tried it on my own!

It was very much CX territory.

Knobblies would help for fields etc when its wet, the slicks just spin up. That’s why I was thinking something lightly knobbled

Are those tyres with a slick middle and a knobbly edge any good?

Those Ritcheys seem a good price but look a bit too aggressive! I’d rather go for slicks than something too knobbly

This is the bike she’s got, its no singletrack/DH monster but it’ll be grand for gentle rides with me pulling the kids along in a trailer. We’ve never done more than about 17 miles I don’t think

(pic stolen from t’internet)

bigyinn
    Free Member

*sees bike, comes out in rash and starts itching.*

benp1

😆

Yes its quite the looker! That said I’m only on a Spesh Hardrock…!

I love cycling as a family (wife riding, both kids in a trailer, dog running with us), its a great way to be out. I’m quite excited about doing more of it!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Old bike – tyres and tubes’ is closed to new replies.