Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 224 total)
  • Ok mods. Let’s be frank are numbers down?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Ok so I know there are other threads discussing this but tell me, are actual post numbers down? Activity on threads seems well down in my book. I posted on my really exciting skate park thread late last night and it’s still mid ish on the first page. Now I’m sure pre update it would have been long gone. The usual suspects seem to post less frequently. It all makes me feel a bit sad, and I do hope it’s  just a blip.

Discuss…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Good weather

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I’m Frank and so’s my wife

scotroutes

(a) I doubt the Moderators have access to the figures

(b) There are very good reasons Mark/STW might not want the figures to be known.

(c) Mark already said that weather is a major factor. Busiest day was apparently during the Beast fro the East.

SaxonRider

I would add that, ironically, I have found the response rate to be quite good in the last number of days. I mean, I have, myself, started a number of threads, and most have them have garnered quite a few responses… and not just by one or two people, either.

I didn’t respond to your skatepark thread because, well, skatepark. 😉

SaxonRider

That, and it’s been pretty nice outside, so I’ve been getting in as many kms as possible.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I wonder how easy it is for new members to register these days…

Drac

Last figures we seen it’s pretty much the same.

Good weather and weekends means posts reduce, office bods are back to work tomorrow so the posts will jump again.

We culled some members and others left who were prolific posters but insisted on break the rules after countless warnings so they finallly got the hammer.

Very easy for new members to sign up looking at the new members about 40 since Friday, sadly lots or spam bots but that come with easy sign up.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What figures Drac?

Page hits, threads created , post totals?

Drac

Bit of everything.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Remember, in any business, just like in politics, if you don’t like the number, change the way you measure them.

Regardless of what people will say, the mark I eyeball says there are fewer comments on fewer threads.

Used to be, if you didn’t get a comment on a thread in 20 minutes, it dropped off the front back. Now you can easily be there half a day, perhaps all day if the wind is blowing in the right direction.

wrightyson
    Free Member

It was just a genuine query not an inflammtory post. We used to see a much higher turn over of posts on the front page. Stupid question is stupid however but does the first page contain more threads than it used to?

footflaps

Number of posts in the Chat Forum seems much less than it was 6 months ago, some week days the first page barely changes at all there’s so little activity. I rarely look at all now at weekends as it’s completely dead. I can believe that visitor numbers haven’t changed much as the lag on that will be much longer.

singlespeedstu

I wonder how easy it is for new members to register these days…

Some people seem to start a new account almost weekly so it can’t be that hard.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Bit of everything

So posts and threads are at the same level?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Cougar

^^ “Everything is positive” apart from a minority of usual suspects who take great delight in having a dig whenever the opportunity presents itself.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’m with footflaps on this, my thoughts are pretty similar to his, which is what compelled me to start this thread in the first place. I know there’s been a lot of negativity directed towards the “update” but first and foremost in my mind is the number of regular posters and thread refreshment seems to have massively changed. No point keep painting over the cracks, it would be better yo get back to where we were surely?

bigblackheinoustoe
    Free Member

I daren’t post anymore ‘cos otherwise I’ll look like a
    <div></div>

Drac

“Everything is positive” apart from a minority of usual suspects who take great delight in having a dig whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Which interestingly why some have told us the avoid certain threads when said individuals appear.

Cougar

(a) I doubt the Moderators have access to the figures

(b) There are very good reasons Mark/STW might not want the figures to be known.

We don’t have access to any statistical data that I’m aware of.  I don’t think the figures are a huge secret though, I could’ve sworn Mark’s posted them previously.

A forum member did a compare-and-contrast a few weeks ago using, uh, Google cache I think, and concluded that posting is down slightly on this time last year.  Though what the weather was like this time last year I couldn’t say.

According to Mark overall site impressions are considerably up, though I don’t remember now whether that’s the site in total or the forum specifically (or both).

Cougar

Number of posts in the Chat Forum seems much less than it was 6 months ago

I can’t possibly fathom why a mountain biking forum might be quieter in May than it is in November.

12 months ago would be a fairer comparison.

zippykona

We culled some members and others left who were prolific posters but insisted on break the rules after countless warnings so they finallly got the hammer.

Thank you.

It’s certainly more pleasant on here now.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

According to Mark overall site impressions are considerably up, though I don’t remember now whether that’s the site in total or the forum specifically (or both).

And that is the point really. Site impressions as far as I’m aware is the number of hits? The nice feature where the post button takes you to the wrong pages and gets a few more clicks out of really help

Cougar

“Everything is positive” apart from a minority of usual suspects who take great delight in having a dig whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Drac

“You don’t communicate”

”Here’s some communication”

Drac

Thank you.

You’re welcome it’s also been a lot better for us there’s been a massive reduciton in reported posts.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Again not a dig but how soon before I don’t have to clear cookies to be able to log in?

It is a bit of a nuisance but still do it from time to time..

Drac

Not sure WCA did you try the fix in the ‘Forum Update” post although that did seem to work once the cookie experience some people seem to have issues again but the same fix cured it.

Rorschach
    Free Member

When the most active thread that is actually vaguely connected to cycling is this s###fest https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/unreasonable-or-unfit-for-purpose/page/3/ you can sort of understand why really.

angeldust
    Free Member

It’s clearly more static, no doubt about it

bikebouy
    Free Member

I wonder sometimes why people get so bothered about the the number of “posts” and “posters” on the forum.

Its a forum with members, some post, some don’t. Some have little to say, some have a lot to say.

I’m unsure why it makes any difference how many posts are, erm.. posted or how many members this place has.

I will say I’m glad of the bans and cull, plenty of reasons why they were deserved. And I would offer we are seeing more posts from different people now than in the previous incarnation of the forum.. and I think that’s a good thing.

Moderting on here must be a full time job, I’m glad it’s all calmed down a bit and people can at least spend sometime doing other stuff more pleasant.

Drac

I wonder sometimes why people get so bothered about the the number of “posts” and “posters” on the forum.

For some they are worried in case the forum dies as they like to come here. Others it’s so they can gloat in their own self importance.

senorj

There are definitely less threads being started ,replied to and argued on…not necessarily a bad thing. 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

Thank you.

It seems more beige to me.

ransos
    Free Member

Others it’s so they can gloat in their own self importance.

Who are you referring to?

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m impotent…

perchypanther
    Free Member

Drac

Haha! Nice Perchy

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

I for one have certainly skipped over more topics recently….there’s been a lot of antagonism and professionally offended. Even quite interesting posts that I would previously have contributed to have descended into ridiculous points-scoring and deliberate mis-quoting.

I like to think of STW as one of thoses particularly friendly pubs where strangers just mingle naturally. But there has been more and more people who in real life I would turn my back on and try to ignore.

In view of that, I don’t actually know who got banned or encouraged to leave. Am I allowed to ask?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 224 total)

The topic ‘Ok mods. Let’s be frank are numbers down?’ is closed to new replies.