Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Ok had an off a couple of days ago on the North Downs. Elbow/knee pads?
  • Poopscoop

Lost a lot of skin on knees, hands (had gloves in pocket!) and elbows. It’s not pleasant. Had X ray today to confirm shoulder isn’t messed up. Phew! Just torn ligaments etc so going to be doing some physio at home to sort that.

Took a hit to head but wasn’t concussed or anything. All this in a sub 20mph crash..lol

Anyway, bimbling and pads anyone do it?….. Will I look and feel utterly daft as I mince around the North Downs?

Can I get pads that are nice and light/ not too hot in the Summer?

Thanks guys.👍

ta11pau1

Yep, fox launch enduro knee pads on pretty much always, my knees feel naked without them now. The elbow pads will probably go under a long sleeve jersey too, I had a 0mph off sliding up a bit of rock and now have a nice scar along my forearm so should really buy a set of the elbow pads too.

joebristol

I cycle in big kneepads all the time after two offs in 2018. Firstnone had no pads on, second time I had lightweight pads on. Both ended up with a knee infection after gashing my left knee quite badly.

So using Scott Grenades for every hint of riding other than my road bike. Can’t risk another knee drama.

Elbow pads not so much – I wear them for uplift and rockier trails but otherwise don’t bother.

Always wear gloves!

Poopscoop

Well, decided on the Fox Launches. Reviews seem reasonable and they are apparent very comfortable.I basically want to forget I’m wearing them.

Got to decide whether outs worth getting elbow pads too?

I’m guessing knees potentially have more to damage and potential longer lasting effects when they are damaged than elbows?? What do you reckon?

geex
    Free Member

where did you find them for that price?

Poopscoop

^^I’ve changed the order (and edited the post above now!) as had a last minute change of mind to go from the Paragons to the Launches Lol but I found them on eBay, Geex.

Only in black/Green though.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alpinestars-Paragon-MTB-Mountain-Biking-Knee-Guards-Colour-Options-NEW-/292991933510?pageci=474ea89a-ace6-465c-b644-18708cb87a84

Ironically I must have ordered the last pair as showing out of stock now?

However, I’ve emailed them to cancel the order so they might show back in stock some time tomorrow I would think.👍

geex
    Free Member

Ah. Ok.
    Thanks

stevied
    Free Member

The Dainese trail skins are good.

Lummox

For me it’s a balance between likelihood and the outcome, many a time wearing knee pads has saved me from weeks of discomfort at work. Worth it even if you appear over cautious.

ta11pau1

Not sure if you’ve gone for the fox launch pads, I forgot I’ve got them on after about 2 minutes, knees do get a little sweaty but not uncomfortable. If I’m in for a long boring climb I just slip them down to my ankle to allow some airflow.

Poopscoop

^^ Yeah, went for the Launchs in the end mate.
    Good idea about just letting then go down to the calf on big ups.👍

patagonian
    Free Member

If you are riding the North Downs then I assume you are within a reasonable distance of Gatwick? If so then go to the Evan’s Warehouse and work your way through all the knee/elbow pads until you find some you like and more importantly that fit perfectly.
    That’s what I did and well worth doing because as usual the brands i had in mind turned out not to suit me.
    Ended up with Dainese knee pads and Fox Launch for the elbows.

Alphabet

I would 2nd Patagonian’s advice. The pads I was after didn’t fit. I ended up trying every pad in the shop in multiple sizes. Ended up with 661 knee pads and Raceface elbows.

ta11pau1

The fox launch pads sizing is pretty accurate, I measured and went by the size guide (size L) and they fit perfectly.

andeh

There’s some decent deals on Ion stuff on Sport Pursuit at the moment. Got me some zippy K-Pacts which I’ve been eyeing for a while

Ambrose

Mrs A took a nasty off last summer in Avoriaz and broke her pelvis. At the time I asked about protective clothing and there were loads of really useful suggestions. But one person made a comment along the line of ‘skill up’ which at the time was not really recognised for what it was- absolutely spot on advice.

The circumstances were a wet slippy berm on an otherwise almost wholly dry trail. In hindsight the crash was predictable. The trails can be very slippy when wet and it had rained heavily the night before. The top section is open and had dried out nicely in the morning sun leaving just a couple of puddles on the track but once in the tree’s shade it was a bit different. She wiped out on the first berm in the shade.

Identify the source of the issue and then try to resolve it. Protection helps mitigate against errors but is always a second line of defence.

stayhigh

If so then go to the Evan’s Warehouse

@patagonian
    is that Evans in Camino Park, Crawley? Will be down that way in a couple of weeks time so may pop in for a scout abou.

patagonian
    Free Member

@Stayhigh……yes it is.
    They have a customer counter where you tell them what you want and they bring it all in from the warehouse. They also had quite a bit on display for you to browse. Plenty of parking too.

I always go there when I’m doing a Gatwick pickup – park up,shop, wait for the call to say they are thru baggage collection then a couple of minutes around the perimeter road straight into the terminal pickup 🙂

stayhigh

@patagonian Sorted, thanks for that 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Ok had an off a couple of days ago on the North Downs. Elbow/knee pads?’ is closed to new replies.