• This topic has 16 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by gonzy.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • OK for cyclists to jump red lights lol
  • votchy
    Free Member

bloody cyclists

One to make the motorists blood boil 😆

TheBrick
    Free Member

Not that much difference to the us where you can turn right through red with caution.

matt_outandabout

*shrugs shoulders in a Gallic way*

TheBrick
    Free Member

puffs on cigarillo, sips coffee, peers over the top of le monde at girl in short dress.

karl1824
    Free Member

Nope

qwerty
    Free Member

Oh la la

ads678

This is good and should be adopted across the UK IMO. Works in other countries for cars as well.

MoreCashThanDash

Beaten to it by Matt!

I imagine French cyclists have been taking their chances on red lights with a Gallic shrug for years.

dudeofdoom

What bugs me is that the Cyclist isn’t jumping the redlight as the signs indicate he is permitted to do it if safe to do so 🙂

Its the crap reporting which really annoys me….designed to get daily fail readers choking on their cornflakes.

MoreCashThanDash

Anything that makes Daily Wail readers choke is fine with me though!

fasthaggis

The city that lets cyclists jump red lights.

London

zippykona

I have noticed that motorists now consider it red plus one car.

amedias
    Free Member

Interesting that they’re running this topic again, this was originally announced a month ago, and good to see they’re doing a followup, but quality of reporting leaves a bit to be desired, a fair few stereotypes and sniping at the beginning 🙁

On the one hand we have a sentence that makes it out to be a begrudging slackening of the law because you just cant stop those pesky cyclists from breaking it:

is a radical step that recognises a regrettable truth: that cyclists in cities often fail to stop at red lights. Rather than step up repression of this misdemeanour, the Paris city authorities have decided to make it legal

But later they do at least acknowledge some of the reasons why:

What we want to do is make life easier for the cyclist. Stopping and starting requires energy, and too often it is completely unnecessary. By not having to stop, they can get where they are going more quickly

But there’s no discussion of what causes the danger and behaviour in the first place, poor routes, un-necessary obstacles, putting cyclists in dangerous places at junctions etc. Letting them turn on red legally is a positive step but it’s still symptomatic of the problem.

“Also allowing cyclists to proceed is safer, because it means they avoid getting caught beside trucks and buses as they wait for lights to change. That is the origin of a lot of accidents.”

Inside Paris proper, traffic moves quite slowly and the few fatalities there are tend to be when cyclists are caught on the inside of heavy vehicles.

Would much rather this was dealt with by better route design, junction planning and appropriate infrastructure rather than just giving cyclists the, now legal, option of getting out of the way if possible.

Same problems as London and many other major cities, at least Paris are thinking and acting on evidence and research, I believe they already have a ban on big HGVs during busy hours, and this latest step has been proven to work elsewhere, it seems like here in the UK the powers that be are unwilling to acknowledge some issues, point blank ignore evidence and are determined to do the bare minimum they can possibly get away with, coupled with a good dose of anti-cycling rhetoric in the media it’s depressing to compare.

eric20
    Free Member

This is good it must be in Uk as well.

cynic-al
    Free Member

The anti-cyclist reporting is making my blood boil! Shame there’s no comments section I could see.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Hopefully in the UK they’ll make it turning LEFT on red, otherwise there will be carnage!

gonzy
    Free Member

opefully in the UK they’ll make it turning LEFT on red, otherwise there will be carnage!

well in europe they drive on the right so it makes sense for them to be allowed to turn right on a red.
    if they ever applied anything like that over here then it would have to be for left turns only.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘OK for cyclists to jump red lights lol’ is closed to new replies.