• This topic has 19 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by andyl.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Oh STW shedmasters… cladding advice please!
  • maxray
    Free Member

I have seen many a wise word spoken on hear regarding sheds so am hoping you can help me work out the best way to clad the sides/back of my shed for minimal maintenance!

The shed walls will be double skinned in ply or osb with a dpm, there will be only a small amount of room between the shed walls and the garden walls themselves. Initially I was just going to go with featherboard but as I wont be able to get to them to repair/re treat I was starting to consider something like bitumen coroline sheets.

Anyone got any ingenious suggestions? They will be hidden from view by the fences so beauty is not important. The money I can save here will go towards some nice pretty cladding for the front, either side of the 3 panel bifold doors.

Cheers!

andyl
    Free Member

Concrete cladding? Not very sustainable though. Thinking about doing the whole rear of my workshop in it as it backs onto the field drain so maintenance will be a pain. Was looking for recycled plastic cladding but having trouble finding something that will be outdoor stable.

bigblackshed

Roofing felt?

I’ve done a couple of sheds, back and sides, that are obscured from view. Start at the top, overlap the next sheet, etc.

jam-bo

Coroline is easy to work with but you still got to be able to get to it to fix it in place?

maxray
    Free Member

Yeah I am going to clad them before bringing the back and sides together.. or that is the plan! 😆

kayak23

bigblackshed – Member
    Roofing felt?

Was going to say that. Heavy duty stuff from Wickes.

Also, what about bridging the gap between the roof and wall if it extends above roof level and flashbanding it so as to further reduce weathering?
    Might help?…

Another idea, look up rubber roof companies. They do custom one piece coverings that I think are rated about twenty years or so..
    Could perhaps cover the wall in it.

jam-bo

Yeah I am going to clad them before bringing the back and sides together.. or that is the plan!

Coroline isnt that robust. I think you’d probably damage it moving the panel into place.

noshki

What about rubber? Do a search for rubber roofing, it attaches to a roof using adhesive (contact type) Most firms give it a 20 to 25 year guarantee but should last longer. I used some on a flat outbuilding and ’twas fantastic, osb underneath.
    Just checked my bookmarks and i think it was this company. http://www.diy-flat-roof.com

They also do all the fixings to keep it neat at the edges. Would be a breeze to attach to the walls if laid flat first.

maxray
    Free Member

That rubber looks great, but possibly a bit pricey. The roofing felt is defo an option though.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Metal cladding? Galvanised?

T1000
    Free Member

stokboard recycled plastic sheet agricultural merchants sell it

maxray
    Free Member

Could you use Stokboard instead of the ply rather than DPM/PLY/and stokboard on top?

pocketrocket
    Free Member

I’d just use 22mm tanalised shiplap or 25mm log lap. It should carry a 15 year guarantee against rot. Treat it again before fitting and then another coat once you’ve made your panels up. The fact it’s actually protected against the weather by your garden walls means it’ll probably outlast the rest of the shed.

T1000
    Free Member

the stockboard isn’t breathable so some battens to allow airflow between the membrane and the board would do the job

AlexSimon

I wouldn’t be too worried about using normal tanalised cladding (any kind) as pocketrocket says.

As you are having a membrane and extra wall, I would also consider galvanised wavy metal.

I hadn’t heard of Stokbord, but looks interesting.

drlex
    Free Member

I’d put (more of) a slope on the roof, whatever you clad it with.

maxray
    Free Member

The roof has 2″ – 0 furrings over 3meters which should be fine as a metal roof need a 1:80 minimum fall… or so my research / calcs suggested… 😀

Reign_Man
    Free Member

Marley cedral or Hardieplank, fibre cement weatherboard. Looks like painted wood weatherbord, but very low maintenence.

https://www.marleyeternit.co.uk/Facades/Weatherboard.aspx

I picked up some on ebay last year for my garden office, (which I still have to build). Got 56 lengths that were left over from a big apartment building project in that there London for £7 each, I think the retail is normally £15-£19 a length. Looks good and should last for years before I have to do anything to it.

For the roof, have you looked at Tata steel, urban colorcoat? You send them the measurements and they deliver it in a kit form. And they do free training days showing you how to fit it. Bit more expensive but should last 20+ years

andyl
    Free Member

stokboard recycled plastic sheet agricultural merchants sell it

This is what I want to use on the back of my workshop/office building and the side that faces the car port which will be used as a lambing shed (that is what stockboard is made for)

My only concern was UV stability as none of the recycled producers I spoke to said it would be stable outside. It might be possible cover it with a UV stable paint though using a plastic primer.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Oh STW shedmasters… cladding advice please!’ is closed to new replies.