Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Offroad around west Glasgow
  • Conan257
    Free Member

Looking at a job change and move from the flatlands of Lincoln back up North of the border.

Probably be settling for a few years in the Paisley/Renfrew area… What’s the riding like, especially if I have no transport and need to carry my bike on bus/train…

moonsaballoon

I ride gleniffer braes in paisley quite often . There is enough around to keep you occupied for a couple of hours . You can get from Barrhead over to Elderslie completely off road . For local trails right on the edge of town i reckon its pretty good , although its been a total bog for the last few months

glasgowdan
    Free Member

You’ll be fine. Join in with some folk and chip in fuel money. Anywhere you live can be a decent base for biking if you try 🙂

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Old Kilpatrick hills just a short hop over the Erskine from Paisley, but can be really boggy, even in summer. As a local myself, I prefer to get up to Mugdock Park up near Milngavie, probably 20 min cycle out of the city centre

hainman
    Free Member

the kilpatrick hills are a good ride in the summer but as EMC says its kinda boggy the now but still fun,theres a few of us that use the hills quite alot and more
    i see a few different groups going up or down when we use the hills…keep us posted to when you move up and we can organise a wee ride

althepal

Riding only or driving? A fair bit around glasgow in general..
    Glennifer Braes, Cathkin braes, The Kilpatricks, Mugdock, Lennox Forrest and Carron Valley.
    Not all of them are amazing but enough scope if you look about, post up on here etc..

OmarLittle
    Free Member

The riding in Renfrewshire itself isn’t good enough to travel too but as something local to ride to in the evening it is enjoyable. Although despite saying that i went months without riding most of it last year because of how wet and muddy it was.

There has recently been some hardpack trails built in windyhill woods above elderslie – not mtb specific and not technical would be great if these are eventually extended up the hill a bit so a meaningful loop can be done when the weather is shite, but i dont know if there are any plans for that.

Road riding is pretty good though – amongst the better off road parts of the sustrans cycle network plus lots of quiet lanes to explore that miss out on the busy roads.

Conan257
    Free Member

Great answers, thanks everyone!

The main thing I do not have around me at the moment is a “local trail”, I have to drive at least 30 minutes to get to my nearest…

Quite looking forward to a potential move… Just need to secure a job first!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Offroad around west Glasgow’ is closed to new replies.