Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • ODI Flight control handlebars with extending wingtips…this is a wind up right?
  • rockhopper70

So the latest new product, handlebars with extending bungs so you can anticpate where you are going to ride, the proportion of woodland against open land tracks and set the handlebar width accordingly. Of course, grips, brakes and shifters will all need moving as well (that’s handy).
    This must be one of those inventions that offer a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist….or is it April 1st?

rockhopper70

Does no one else think this is an odd idea?

bassspine
    Free Member

I think its for people who cut their hanglebars too short repeatedly

rockhopper70

O I c.

sharki
    Free Member

I can see it being used by DHers who ride a variety of DH areas, making use of the control wide bars offers over wide open and rough runs, or pop out the extensions for days doing tighter woodsy runs.

Moving the controls isn’t a big drama for DH’ers who set up there bikes quite specifically according to the trails they are riding.

It’s a design idea i had, but mine where designed not to add bar length but to provide pop out bar ends to aid climbing, then, slip away for woodsy descents.

rockhopper70

That’s a good idea but would the fickle fashion police have you for bar ends on risers? 🙄

_tom_
    Free Member

I think it sounds like a good idea for those of us who only have the one bike. I like really wide bars for DH (stability) but for xc I prefer a narrower bar.

steveh

I can see it being used by DHers who ride a variety of DH areas, making use of the control wide bars offers over wide open and rough runs, or pop out the extensions for days doing tighter woodsy runs.

Moving the controls isn’t a big drama for DH’ers who set up there bikes quite specifically according to the trails they are riding.

As a man who’s done 20 odd dh races this year I’d have to say I know no-one who apart from changing tyres for races changes their bike set ups at all for any tracks. Get a set up that works and run it all year is what most people do.

Most people are also running bars of 750-785mm everywhere all the time. I know of one man who had a problem at one track this year and he just ran what he had and made do.

I think these bars are a bit pointless really, the only vague sense might be for someone who wants to try different widths to figure out what they like best.

sharki
    Free Member

Steve, uk or worldwide?

ODI is States based and them over the water aren’t fit and forget riders, to be the best they need to think that making a subtle change will make then even bester. 😉

The marketing men at ODI and other companies feed off these.

gothandy

When I first heard about these I thought they were for people who wanted to try a wider bar but didn’t want the expense of getting a new bar. That kinda made sense.

But having to buy a bar too! Crazy.

eth3er
    Free Member

I pronounce this stupid.

Northwind

Makes sense to me, I like a shorter bar for general trail and XC riding than I do for sillier stuff, which usually just means I end up leaving it the same all the time and being slightly unhappy with the width some of the time. Much easier and quicker to add the wingtips and move the controls slightly than it would be to change bars completely after all, you could do it trailside as well if you (frinstance) go to fort william and ride the dh route then decide to do a lap of the XC route after.

Bit of a niche product and I won’t be buying it, but it’s not stupid IMO, just that you guys aren’t the target market.

cynic-al
    Free Member

But if the target market is stupid in the infallible
    opinions of stw?

brakes
    Free Member

just that you guys aren’t the target market

gullible?

Northwind

“cynic-al – Member

But if the target market is stupid in the infallible opinions of stw?”

They most likely will never know, and couldn’t care less if they did 😆

13thfloormonk

Haha, I thought they were pointless too.

NOT because I don’t see the benefits of changing bar lengths, but a whole 18mm? Who seriously thinks they’ll notice a difference? Thats like having U-Turn on your forks and adjusting it 10mm between uphills and downhills.

Sure, I noticed a difference between my 585 EA70s on one bike, and the 685mm Salsas on the other, but thats 100mm.

Edit: In fact, if you’re running lock ones, couldn’t you just slide them out 18mm and use just the one bolt to secure them?

Northwind

13thfloormonk – Member

“NOT because I don’t see the benefits of changing bar lengths, but a whole 18mm? Who seriously thinks they’ll notice a”

18mm per side, you’ll probably notice that. That’s more than the difference between the bars on my XC bike and the bars on my hemlock and I certainly notice that.

rockhopper70

13thfloormonk – Member
    Haha, I thought they were pointless too.
    NOT because I don’t see the benefits of changing bar lengths, but a whole 18mm? Who seriously thinks they’ll notice a difference? Thats like having U-Turn on your forks and adjusting it 10mm between uphills and downhills.
    Sure, I noticed a difference between my 585 EA70s on one bike, and the 685mm Salsas on the other, but thats 100mm.
    Edit: In fact, if you’re running lock ones, couldn’t you just slide them out 18mm and use just the one bolt to secure them?
    POSTED 4 DAYS AGO # REPORT-POST

I can’t see that a lock on would work on the reduced diameter extension tip. And surely only using one bolt would defeat the whole point of the lock-on point.

13thfloormonk

I think the wingtips are the same diameter as the bar, otherwise they would be truly pointless.

Specialized do a single bolt lock-on grip, so it obviously works to some extent.

Eitehr way, if 18mm a side makes a difference then fair enough, still seems a bit daft to me 8)

GaryLake
    Free Member

I think I’d find it useful. I like a wide bar but a lot of local trails here are cheeky ones cut through the woods and a wide bar can be an issue.

Going for an out of town ride on more open trails, extending the bars sounds good! It only takes a minute or two to undo your lockons, shifters and brakes, slide them along and re-tighten!

julianwilson
    Free Member

How long before they make an on-the-fly adjustable version you can move in and out without stopping? 😆
    Yes this is daft, but how daft did some people think gravity droppers were at first? And bionicon bikes?

rockhopper70

I simply can’t see that anyone can see the need to wind in their bars when tracks go through woodland.
    I would defy anyone to be able to position the end of their bars with such a degree of accuracy when hurtling past some immovable object over rough ground such as a tree, that with the tips out the 18mm they would clip, but wound in they would not. Cobblers.
    18mm…..space it between your finger and thumb!!

MentalMickey
    Free Member

I remember a member on here claiming the trees were too close together at Cannock T.C, this invention might suit people like that?

lipseal
    Free Member

Hang more clothes on/less depending on load cool idea… Just off to tell the wifey.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘ODI Flight control handlebars with extending wingtips…this is a wind up right?’ is closed to new replies.