Viewing 38 posts - 81 through 118 (of 118 total)
  • Odd/different children's names
  • hora
    Free Member

Leigh Pover?

I had one called Rosemary Malady.

stewartc
    Free Member

Was Great Scott born around the time of the first Back to the Future film?

garthmerenghi
    Free Member

I used to work for a very large financial institution. Think 3 letters and a Scottish HQ. Every Christmas we got a lot of mileage out of looking up a gentleman in our Amsterdam office who was called … Rudolf Reinders

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I just wonder if some parents of famous people simply couldn’t spell or were just trying to be different

Ro(n)ald Dahl
    Jancis Robinson

It’s a cliche but Michael Hunt does exist and worked in the City (along with quite a few brothers)

Girl at son’s school called Poppy. Dated a block called Dom (surname). Shame it didn’t last as she could have opened an Indian restaurant when married!

bencooper
    Free Member

My brother-in-law blessed his daughter with the name of Minnie Cooper.

Oh, the shame.

That was my idea too – I was overruled 😀

Have we done Randy Gaylord yet?

jekkyl

Lol@ b r

kerv
    Free Member

Our first one is Casper, the stipulations were, nothing religious or in the favourites list. Struggled with number two son but he was born with jaundice so we called him Billy after bilirubin (the pigment that turns you yellow with jaundice) 🙂

tall_martin

I taught a kid called Ikea.

IKEA!

mooman
    Free Member

I used to live by a girl named Ester Bunny many years ago.
    She was a good looking girl luckily for her, if she wasn’t, her school years would have been a nightmare.

My sister in law called her 3 kids Jez (not too bad now), Kai and Oni ..

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Went to Uni with some good ones – top bloke called Geoffrey Jeffrey, lad from Doncaster with the middle name Ambrose (bet his schooldays were fun) and another called Mitford (yes we called him Nancy).

A Swede who works for us called his kids Erik and Mena.

A few oddball names in the village Ribey Blue and Kye Magic spring to mind.

It’s all very well having an ‘interesting’ name but surviving school can often depend upon how dumb your parents choice of name has been.

willej

I’ve heard of a family called King that had a daughter named Jo and a son called Wayne.

Also knew a guy who’s drag act name was Etta Goodcock.

We named our daughter Lyra Emma Zakis Jenkins.
    Lyra is Greek for harp, a constellation and the name of a character in my wife’s favourite books. Emma was the name of my late sister and Zakis is my wife’s Latvian maiden name, which means Hare.

legend
    Free Member

3 UK DHers:
    Haby-Blu Cann
    Calamaty-Jayne Cann
    Bow-Jango Cann

Thought my ears were deceiving me when I first heard the commentators mentioning them

slackalice
    Free Member

What about Mr & Mrs Champions? With their diminutive footballing son, wee Arthur.

Or Mr & Mrs Calcutta? A Swede married to an Indian and their son, black Olaf.

😀

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I honestly worked for a while with a young chap called Micheal Hunt. He was most adamant his forename was never abbreviated for some reason..

Kip

I know the Cann’s and they’re lovely. They ride like demons too so they can have whatever names they like!

I have taught:
    Zarathustra
    Troy Eagles (so not a super hero)
    Brock
    Tiana
    Shaya

And wished my mother in law had told me about the name she hates and won’t actually use for her friends grandchild…Zephyr, would’ve used it as Kip Jr’s middle name in a flash..

Junkyard
    Free Member

I worked with a michael Hunt as well

I also used to go to meeting where we had him and Alan Dick…had to be careful writing up those minutes

aP
    Free Member

A friend is called Donna Rhea, although next week he’s changing it to Scarlett Snatch.

woody21
    Free Member

My mate was watching a single venue stage rally in New Brighton, he got talking to one of the locals whose daughter was called Sapphire Cosworth, so named because her father liked the Ford Sapphire Cosworth

marco
    Free Member

Young lad at my sons school is called Charlie Boy. Yup that’s his first name(s)

wombat

I know of 2, yes that’s correct 2, people called Wayne Carr. 😯

They work for different organisations so I know it’s not the same person.

rob2
    Free Member

I went out with a girl called Jo King when I lived in Swindon.

ratherbeintobago

I just wonder if some parents of famous people simply couldn’t spell or were just trying to be different

Ro(n)ald Dahl

Or, alternatively, Roald Dahl’s parents were Norwegian, and Roald is a normal Norwegian name?

seadog101

Mr and Mrs Down were either mean, stupid or hilarious: Their twins were named Ben and Neil.

🙄

Daffy

I know a Zephyr.

lemonysam
    Free Member

My sister teaches a child called “(“, as in you pronounce it “bracket” but it’s spelt with a single character.

Bizarre.

johndoh
    Free Member

Someone where I live used to to have a BWW garage.

Eric G. Hunt.

I wonder why he always insisted on putting the ‘G’ in there.

funkmasterp

We called our son Eben (Shortened form of Ebenezer) with middle name Hendrix as I’m a big fan and the missus has German family. We love the name, but some people pronounce it Ee-Ben. If he had the missus’ surname he’d spend the rest of his life getting his whole name pronounced wrong.

I went to school with a Martial Law. He was a pretty cool guy too.

vinnyeh

Not an unusual name as such, but a mistake in our school yearbook one year meant that my middle initial ‘P’ was misprinted as ‘D’ and I spent the rest of my high school years immortalised as VD Arrow.

My father’s first name was Hansard, never seen it since, though our wee boy has it as a middle name. First name Montgomery aka Monty. Conjures up visions of Uncle Monty. I doubt I’ll introduce him to that film.

AdamW
    Free Member

Chemistry lecturer at Bangor, Dr Beckett, named his son Thomas A. IIRC.

I always liked the names from the Cocteau Twins’ album ‘Treasure’. I guess after Doctor Who the name Amelia will be more popular.

Ivo
    Lorelei
    Beatrix
    Persephone
    Pandora
    Amelia
    Aloysius
    Cicely
    Otterley
    Donimo

RustySpanner

I studied up to Grade 3 on the Persephone.

Cougar

My sister teaches a child called “(“, as in you pronounce it “bracket” but it’s spelt with a single character.

Bizarre.

I blame the parentheses.

Cougar

Aloysius

That’s a fantastic name. There aren’t enough Aloyses in this country.

Donimo

Gods help the poor kid if it ever got acne.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

I was taught a kid in Zimbabwe called ‘Blessing’, his little brother was, I kid you not, called ‘More Blessing’. 🙂

Also, when my husband was a teacher, he had a girl in his class called ‘Jenna Tails’ it still makes him crease up now, thinking back to the first time he called the register (poor girl!)

jag61

just a few wot i have taught,
    Carl Ling probably the biggest @rse in the world
    keziah…
    paige turner
    shelley brook
    Jay jay amadeus …
    and a few conception related ones, seattle and his brother michigan,
    mercedes,
    many more that i thought ‘i must remember that one’ but never did
    shouldnt ^^^^ be called less blessing.
    at cricket club in 70’s Ray Alder and 2 sons
    older alder,older younger alder and younger younger alderstill makes me smile that one

Edric64
    Free Member

My boys names are Alaric,Fabian and Lyndon

bigrich

I knew a Nigerian bloke called Lucky. Complete misnomer on every conceivable level.

seavers
    Free Member

Chuffy. Just do it.

masterwatson2000
    Free Member

My wife went to school with a Jenny Taylor, and a Rosemary Haddock.

Brilliant.

Viewing 38 posts - 81 through 118 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘Odd/different children's names’ is closed to new replies.