• This topic has 12 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by bol.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Obscure Hardtails
  • audiophile
    Free Member

Been away from MTBs for about 12 years and recently re-entered the game by getting a Merlin Malt 1. After lusting after an aluminium bike all those years ago I discovered after a few rides that what I actually wanted was a steel one. I've missed 12 years of bike knowledge, please tell me all about the hardtails I've missed out on, preferably steel with a long top tube from some manufactures I won't have heard of. Sure, On-Ones and Ragleys are nice, but I fancy something a little bit different.

jonb
    Free Member

Some of these are failry common but I wouldn't let that put you off. Things are often popular because they are good (or cheap). Most bikes that you see loads of on this forum (on-ones) aren't that common outside of this small community.

Sanderson
    Independant fabrications
    Curtis
    Surly
    Cotic
    Dialled Bikes
    Chromag
    Orange
    Charge

kiwijohn

How much?

Rickos
    Free Member

Chromag or Curtis would be on my list, but both are expensive when compared to a Dialled or On-One. Decade Virsa looks good too and has the swap-out drop-outs to go gears or snigglespeed.

alpin
    Free Member

Sanderson. Life if you're flush, Breath if you're not.

i've got a Breath. great frame. nice long TT (longer than 456, size for size). very zingy steel feel. have had mine for three or four years; one year in the alps riding three times a week and it coped admirably.

audiophile
    Free Member

kiwijohn, up to about £500 max. Those Curtis frames look gorgeous, might have to keep saving or sell my mother.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

If you want something a bit different how about a Gunnar?

http://www.gunnarbikes.co.uk/

audiophile
    Free Member

Quite impressed with the Sanderson Life. Sorry everyone, should have mentioned that I would need to fir a rack sometimes. Can use a seatclamp adaptor at one end, what options do I have at the dropout?

alpin
    Free Member

none.

only enough room for 160mm rotor at the rear, too. no bosses for Vs either.

don't let any of that put you off, though. still a great XC frame.

kiwijohn

How about a Salsa Ala Carte?

jonb
    Free Member

What would you carry on the rack, you can get seatpost mounted ones if it's only infrequent light use.

thats_not_my_name
    Free Member

Whyte do a steel version of their 19 trail hardtail.

bol

+1 for the Sandeson Life. Loved mine till someone nicked it. Quite racey, very light for steel, strong and low key. Only takes 100mm forks IIRC though, so not as much scope for burliness as some others.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Obscure Hardtails’ is closed to new replies.