• This topic has 16 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by brant.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Nukeproof Mega TR suspension and cycling uphill
  • jimmy

I must have been lucky in the past with full suss bikes because I’ve always thought this suspension bob and inefficient this and that was a bit of a mystery. Having swapped my ASR5 for a Mega TR, for the first time I can really feel a “dead spot” on each turn of the pedals going uphill, like I’m sinking into mud or something (its not that I’m sinking into mud). Has anyone else noticed this on a M-TR, or other bike? Can it be tuned out (apart from locking the shock for each climb) or is it a fact of that design?

brant
    Free Member

What chainring were you in?

jimmy

umm, probably the ‘big’ 36t outer (but really the middle of an double & bash triple)

Simonpieman
    Free Member

Mine doesn’t feel like that, I would have a play with pressures if I was you.

northerntom
    Free Member

Have you tried changing the shock’s compression settings. I always climb with it in the ‘climb’ mode, as descend is a lot softer.

I have the am, and find it more than manageable in the climb mode.

carlphillips
    Free Member

Mines all good too. Tr 275. Have a play with settings.

barffy
    Free Member

I have a 160mm Mega and mine doesn’t do it and I don’t even shift into climb!

jimmy

Any one know where to find a guide on shock pressures / setup…?

p7rich
    Free Member

My 2013 Mega TR climbs fine. Rarely even bother with the shock switch. Are you a big lad?

BlobOnAStick

Barffy +1

The Mega isn’t fast uphill, but I can’t say it’s down to bob or squat or whatever. Prolly the weight….

jimmy

I’m not a big un. I’m comparing to previous bikes. Would like to know what pressure the shock should be.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

There is generally no should just what you want/need.
    Try varying it and see how you go, what other settings do you have?

p7rich
    Free Member

If you cant find any guidance just add enough pressure for 20-30% sag. I think mine’s nearer the 30% mark. Don’t forget to open the switch before setting.

Mugboo

My mk1 Mega felt like that in the granny ring.

jairaj

Any one know where to find a guide on shock pressures / setup…?

Have search online, there are many pages describing how to set up your suspension. The process is not bike specific either the same rules apply bike. It is also dependant on many variables and personally preference so you will not see any figures eg use pressure X, with Y clicks of rebound etc Do it by feel.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Mines def a plodder but there’s no excess movement even without propedal. She’s weighty so that’s going to account for a lot compared to my Stumpy HT but there’s still a huge amount of extra effort required to go only a little bit faster uphill!

Brant (Brant Brant Brant…) what would you say is the ideal chainring size for a single ring setup? Looking at putting an oval one on too.

brant
    Free Member

32t

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Nukeproof Mega TR suspension and cycling uphill’ is closed to new replies.