Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Nottingham – worth a day trip?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Much to do/see in the city centre for say half a day?

vdubber67
    Free Member

I live just outside the city and have to say I’m not the hugest fan of the city as a place to live. That said, it’s quite a nice shopping experience, more from a small shop angle than a shopping mall side of things.

There’s an Evan bike shop, and Freewheel, which is small but ok. Hockley is a small district of boutique shops and retro stuff. Other than that, it’s really just another city centre.

There’s a castle to visit if you fancy too…

choron
    Free Member

No

wordnumb
    Free Member

Yes, during the beer festival.

elzorillo
    Free Member

I live in North Notts and can honestly say that Nottingham has such a pull that I’ve visited it about 4 times in my entire life.. Urban sprawling dump. Sheffield/Lincoln/ even Donny are much better in my (and just about everyone I know) humble opinion.

In fact.. the only claim to fame it has amongst my mates is that one of them is missing all his front teeth due to a saturday afternoon mugging where people simply walked past has the mugger went through the unconscious lads pockets. Doesnt have the nickname ‘shottingham’ for nothing.. Great place 🙄

mildred

No.

The council planning dept allow anything to be built, but seem to particularly love concrete/prefab monstrosities that are completely at odds with their surroundings. There are streets in the suburbs where, instead of restoring some beautiful wrought/cast iron lamp standards, they’ve built a modern galvanised version right next to them, and haven’t bothered to remove the old , they’ve just tapped into the electricity, leavin the old one to rot away.

The city road ‘systems’ challenge sanity and are particularly poorly signposted. My personal favourite is the random sign for Matlock on Nuthall road just before 2 big multiple exit roundabouts, and without one other sign until you’ve driven a good 15 miles in the general direction through 3 other small towns and villages. It reminds me of the signpost at Lands End pointing towards Scotland.

If you’re going in a car…, well just don’t. The one way system has been changed 3 times in 9 years, meaning your sat nav will be useless. The tram and bus lanes have enforcement cameras so if you make the slightest mistake you’ll get a fine through your letter box.

The shopping ‘experience’ is fantastic if you like TKMaxx, Primark, et al. I think there’s a Tescos express per head of population, and a great many eat as much as you physically can style buffets. But the bonus is if you do venture down into the aforementioned Hockley boutiques, if you venture too fa towards Sneinton market you can take some quality exercise as you run from the packs of knife point robbers who roam the streets for bambi like tourists.

sobriety
    Free Member

if you venture too fa towards Sneinton market you can take some quality exercise as you run from the packs of knife point robbers who roam the streets for bambi like tourists.

That’s not true, they’ll just as happily **** up the locals. Oh, and I lived in Sneinton for two years and only found a knife under my doormat once.

midlifecrashes

Yes,

Old Market Square currently converted into a beach with sand and fairground rides, castle is nice for a wander and the views, tour of the caves below the castle and the Broadmarsh centre both worth a look. Shopping is good, Lace Market and Hockley areas still have a fair bit of character and loads of independent shops, and a wander down by the Trent is nice too.

I went to Trent Poly a quarter of a century ago and it’s nice to go back now and again. Stick to city centre and riverside though, most of the inner suburbs are grotty/scary. Park and (tram)Ride near J26 is worth doing, family ticket to park and ride trams all day a fiver.

restless
    Free Member

I have lived in Nottingham all my life. If you have a day trip there are lots of city centre car parks. Don’t bother trying with on street parking, u only get 2 hours, paid. Depends if you are visiting with kids or not, but the Galleries of Justice do a tour, ok with older kids, same as the caves tour. The castle is not that great but they do have various events over the year that can be ok. The market square is currently a beach. There are lots of shops inbetween 2 shopping centres and all close together.

andeh

Yes. I was there for 3 years and loved it. There’s lots to do in the city centre, galleries, independent cinemas, lots of smaller niche (this is STW after all) shops that you don’t seem to get in other towns. Just give Broadmarsh a miss and don’t drive.

Only once did some students get held hostage at shotgun point on my street 😀

Sheffield/Lincoln/ even Donny are much better in my (and just about everyone I know) humble opinion.

Reeeaaaallly?! Lincoln is where fun goes to die. The place is a dump. The minster is worth a view but otherwise, it’s another small, really windy, town. Sheffield is still recovering from Meadowhall being built 20 years ago and Doncaster (my home town) is great if you like betting shops and pound stores.

ChrisA
    Free Member

Yes definitely worth a visit if your with children or without. There is the castle, caves, galleries of justice, the lace market all worth a visit. Great places to eat & drink too. Outside of the city, there is loads to do too. I don’t really know how anyone can compare it to Doncaster or Lincoln to be honest.

Nottingham gets a lot of negative press, but its inner city are really no different or worse than other inner city areas, they just seem to get publicised more.

mbydmt
    Free Member

Just moved away from Nottingham after having lived 1 mile from the centre for 3 years. I’d say yes.
    It depends what you’re after but IMO; good shopping, boutique and larger stuff, but if you like Paul Smith, Ted Baker, Zara, Diesel, Lacoste etc. there’s plenty, there’s cheaper places, more boutique places (Hockley), and Victoria centre isn’t bad – good John Lewis and House of Fraser.
    It’s got something silly like most bars/square mile out of anywhere in the UK, so good for a drink, something fancy – head to Saltwater cocktail bar, a 5 minute walk from the city centre, or try one of the hundred bars, Dogma’s nice for a bite to eat at lunch and a pint.
    Eating there’s loads, commercial chains, i.e. gourmet burger kitchen, nandos, pizza express etc. etc. try Le Bistro Pierre for a nice Cafe Rouge -esque experience. HTH.

dragonphoenix
    Free Member

Midlifecrashes did you eat at Eddie’s?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Nottingham – worth a day trip?’ is closed to new replies.