Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 164 total)
  • What would you like to do with this car? Give it to Gnusmas!
  • tjagain

Right – logistics are looking a tad tricky.  .  thusday is the best day for me to get it down south.  I really would like to get back to Edinburgh that night -( I get rashes and nosebleeds going that far south for too long)

I am guestimating 8 hours at least to get it to markos place in chepstow and another hour to get to bristol and the only train with cheapo tickets is half 4 at bristol.  I can get back on a later train but the tickets are well expensive.  I’d rather not fly back ( more rashes) and of course the flight is more than the cheapo train.
    Can anyone help with getting the car from Bristol area to Chepstow mid afternoon?  Would need insurance but its only £25 or so for a day.  I don’t want to ask any more of Marko really
    Or any other ideas to make the logistics easier?

Or do I just bite the bullet and fly back?

Marko

Tj

How about you drop the car off at the Daughter’s in Bristol? She is close to the M32 and then it is a short Taxi ride to Parkway (or Temple Meads).

I’ll get a lift over with my wife at some point and collect the car. Insurance will be covered by my trade policy, so no extra expense required.

If that works I’ll email you her address.

tjagain

That would work nicely I think.  Ta.

molgrips
    Free Member

Better shave before boarding the train otherwise they might kick you off.

Trains in the direction of Edinburgh probably leaving from Bristol Temple Meads I think.

theotherjonv

have chucked a bit in the pot towards this initiative….

On the trains – have a look at split ticketing, if you’re getting into the likelihood of travelling in peak time then you can get a ticket for only the bit that is in peak. Might make it an option on the later ones.

https://raileasy.trainsplit.com/

https://www.splitticketing.com/

kennyp
    Free Member

Coming to this thread a bit late, but…………I’m Edinburgh, retired so have plenty time on my hands, have friends in Llanelli I could crash at after a drive and enjoy travelling by train, so journey home sorted. I’ve done that drive loads of times so know the roads.

My insurance lets me drive other cars (though only third party so may want to get something temporary set up but not a big deal).

Offer is there if needed.

molgrips
    Free Member

Share the driving with TJ 🙂

kennyp
    Free Member

Happy to do the whole thing myself. I’ve done it umpteen times and with not working am in no rush. MrsK hates driving so I always do long distances myself. Plus have an awful taste in music on these journeys!!

kennyp
    Free Member

Only small hiccup is that I’m away for a while so would be late October, early November before I could do it. But if time isn’t an issue then I’m happy to.

tjagain

its not a peak trains issue – its a no cheap tickets left issue.  Only cheap tickets on the 1640

Kenny – thats a great offer.  I am happy to do it on thursday but if others don’t mind the wait including the current car owner then its fine by me but it seems to me to get it down there this week would be best.

It would be  bit cheaper that way.

Ambrose

I think that it will be best to do it this week too. From what I can surmise, on Thursday TJ will drive the Gnusmobile from Edinburgh to Bristol and then return to Scotland, probably by train.<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”> </span>

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Marco will collect the vehicle from his daughter’s place at his convenience, drive it to Chepstow where he will work on it as and when he is able to. </span>

Once ready, I will collect Gnusmas, drive to the car, and we will then return to deepest darkest Carmarthenshire.

What could possibly go wrong?

KennyP, brilliant offer, ta. Where in Llanelli? I work in Burry Port.

Ambrose

What goes around comes around…

Gnusmas has a mate with a tipper who will shift  Saxonrider’s bricks from Cardiff to my place.

Fantastic.

tjagain

Thats the plan Ambrose.

Ambrose

Phew!

kennyp
    Free Member

No worries, if anything changes the offer’s still open. Am also happy to chip in if there’s a collection to cover any travel costs or getting any repairs done to the car.

Ambrose, they live in Bryn, just outside Llanelli. Am going to be visiting them weekend after next. If you ever see a 6’2″ Scotsman drunk in a pub in town that’s probably my pal.

tjagain

Kenny – thanks – I thought for a moment I had got out of it.  there is a just giving link on the first page.

themilo
    Free Member

Brilliant stuff guys!  I’m in west Cardiff if anyone need some anything.

lb77

Great work you lot, this thread has just brought a tear to my eye. Our friend lost his wife (and we lost a dear friend) earlier this year so I know how tough this situation is. Donation made, drive safe!

siwhite
    Free Member

Chaps – just come across this thread and it’s a super idea. I’m up to the eyeballs with work and two young nippers at the mo, so can’t help with the logistics but have made a donation to the fund.

Gnusmas – are your little ones of car seat age? Can we chip in to help you pick some up if needed?

tartanscarf

Nuts!!! And awesome.

Cougar

I think we’re all missing the important issue here which is,

Who’s documenting it all and blogging the story?

bruneep

donated

.peenurb 👍

andrewh
    Free Member

Hello again,

Quick update on timings for those planning things.

Car is on cover until 18th, next Thursday. Wife got two weeks grace cover on it when she swapped to the new car. I think it has to be insured ‘properly’ for someone to use their drive other cars bit? Not an issue if TJ does it with day insurance, Kenny should be aware of the date if he does it.  We don’t have any offroad parking so will have to borrow a neighbours drive if it’s still here after then, obviously shorter the better for that, and other insurance would have to be obtained. Needs gone by 31st or we’ll end up paying November’s tax. We are away to Fort William for 24hr World champs 18th-22nd, can leave paperwork and keys with a neighbour or in a safe place or post to TJ/Kenny if collecting during this time.

We are in Stow for those contemplating collecting, 25 miles south of Edinburgh, station in the village direct from Waverley if that’s easiest, could keep a bike in next door’s shed for a couple of days if you ride down.

Who’s documenting it all and blogging the story?

Hmm, I do (more like did, miniH takes up a lot of time!) a blog which some people read occasionally http://andrewhowett.blogspot.com/ TJ/Marko/Gnusmas, I need photos, lots of them

boxelder

I’ve a spare Graco booster seat – the sort with a back and drinks holders 😎  Suitable for sort of 3-8 year olds.

I can get it to the M6 Penrith/Kendal.

tjagain

Andrew – I’ll pick it up on thursday fully insured.  As early as possible.  Seems the best all round much as I would prefer Kenny to do the drive 😉  I’ll make the arrangements with your boss via email ( or you if thats better)

andrewh
    Free Member

Best talk to her TJ. I’ll be at work all day Thursday, looking out of the window and trying to seem busy if anyone walks passed. Not sure what she’s doing Thurs but plenty of options for leaving keys with neighbours or in sheds or something if she’s oot.

A7 to through Hawick and Langholm then M6 is the best route and takes you passed Boxelder too.

Marko, only one not obvious problem. I said 12v doesn’t work. Basically if you plug something into it it blows the fuse and makes the radio forget it’s code (which is in the book somewhere) TJ, if you forget and try to plug a satnav in it will be a very long, dull journey.

bamboo
    Free Member

Small donation made. Hopefully enough will be raised to get all costs covered and any issues with the car sorted.

A great cause.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Happy to help if needed – based in Yorkshire but can travel and free this week.

@Gnusmas
    – do your kids need any “in car” toys/gadgets?  Would be more than happy to send some gifts “with love from Yorkshire” 🙂  Just let me know what and consider it done 🙂

batfink
    Free Member

Too far away to assist directly unfortunately – but bunged a few quid in the pot to help out.

Well done all – looking forward to further updates.

tjagain

GlennQuagmire – you have a pm

gnusmas

Really mixed emotions at the moment. A huge sense of guilt, purely because all of you are putting yourselves out to make this happen for us. A sense of relief, knowing that having a car will make things a bit easier. Happiness, not having to rely on buses and others for lifts. And excitement, this is going to be one hell of a road trip for the gnusmobile (as it has been named) and really looking forward to seeing its journey.

Car seats – 3 are in car seats, 2 have got the right seats already. I do need to get a booster with a back as boxelder describes. If you have it spare boxelder, and it can be arranged to meet with the car somehow, that would be great. If not, no worries, i can sort that out later on.

Quagmire – not sure exactly what you mean by in car toys, probably being a bit thick, sorry.

Thankyou to all of you for everything you are doing to make this happen.

tjagain

Gnusmus – don’t feel guilty at all.  no one has been pressured or asked to do anything here really that they didn’t want to.

I am not a believer in altruism.  I believe generous gestures are done because it makes the person making the gesture feel good.

A sense of relief, knowing that having a car will make things a bit easier. Happiness, not having to rely on buses and others for lifts. And excitement

this is why I am doing it.  It makes me feel good to know it makes you feel good.  I get a big warm fuzzy feeling and can go about my day thinking – what a nice chap I am.  stokes my ego no end 😉

Of course I am overstating this but IMO this is the main reason for this sort of thing.  From the job I do to chucking a few quid in a charity boxes to helping get this done.  It makes ME feel good.

So accept your good fortune here happily.  All I ask is you pay it back someday somehow if and when you can.  Then you can share in that self righteous glow I am enjoying now

Bunnyhop

Donated, because I think you lot are amazing.

gnumas – I am so happy that you are about to be mobile again.

Bit dusty in here this morning.

xx

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Gnusmus – I was meaning just some toys for your kids so they don’t get bored in the car, or just to make the journey a bit more enjoyable.  I’m guessing you have most things but if there’s anything you’d like just shout.

I was hoping to help out with the logistics but I’ve made a cock-up so apologies to tjagain.

I’ll add some dosh to the pot so those that are donating their time gratis are not out of pocket.

tjagain

One thing that would make my life a little easier is if there is someone with a day free on thursday who lives in the north of England and split the delivery with me. driving the second half of the delivery

I think most folk on here work Mon / friday tho and its not essential by any means

andrewh
    Free Member

Having a rest day today so drove to work, one last trip out in it, Little Yaris was fine

There is a slow puncture on the right rear though, will get this pumped up before TJ hits the motorway, will pop the spare on if I get time.

granny_ring

Just caught up with this, well done all involved. 🙂

Donated.

Chew
    Free Member

If it helps with logistics i’ll be driving from Halifax to Llanbrynmair on Friday.

If its logistically easier for someone to drive it to Leeds and get the train back up to Edinburgh, then I can easily get it to somewhere like Newtown/Mach?

tjagain

chew you have a pm

If I knew where any of those places were that would be fabulous given I have already nearly gone to the wrong end of the country

*gets map out*

SammyC
    Free Member

I’m Bristol based and have two headrest mounted DVD players that I have absolutely no use for anymore. I thought about giving them to friends but they’re all so blinking loaded they can buy their own in-car DVD players. I can’t think of a better thing to do than donate these to this worthy project 🙂

I don’t know who is housing this car in Bristol until Marko can collect it but if someone can PM me their address (and warn them of course) I would love to drop these over for Gnusmas-jnrs to have in the car.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 164 total)

The topic ‘What would you like to do with this car? Give it to Gnusmas!’ is closed to new replies.