What would you like to do with this car? Give it to Gnusmas!

Home Forum Chat Forum What would you like to do with this car? Give it to Gnusmas!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 164 total)
  • What would you like to do with this car? Give it to Gnusmas!
  • andrewh

Hello,

Wife has bought a new-to-her car which means that her much loved Yaris will need a new owner. It’s just not big enough now we have the wee one. And a pushchair. And the carrycot. And the, well you know how much junk babies accumilate, try getting all that plus two bikes in a Yaris (it will take two bikes and two adults though)

It is worth next to nothing but is far to good to scrap. So, who needs a cheap and cheerful car and what would you do with it? Priority given to whoever has the best suggestion, rather than whoever offers the most. Really want to keep it alive and being used so please no stripping for parts

Boring but practical -anyone want to learn to drive in it? Ideal beginners car.

Much more fun – it’s eligable to do the Mongol Rally (google it). If it wasn’t for miniH I would be really, really tempted by this. Anybody want to do this?

Anyone want to try to convert it for their dog to drive? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chrzpnL1OEM

Fit a gun to it and use it as a paintball tank? No need for MOTs

Pop a roll cage in and make a very unlikely rally-car?

What else would give it a good second life? Suggestions please. Not ideas for me to do (unless they really take my fancy) this is for you to take the car and use it.

Ad bit:

Every time there’s a ‘what small car/first car/cheap car’ thread on here thay always get a mention. Can even fit a canoe in the boot (if in is the right word, MattOAB…)

This is a 2000 W reg three door in silver, 1.0 litre petrol VVTi, 105ish thousand miles on the clock, still in daily use so going up a bit. MOT until end of Feb next year. It was her aunt’s for many years, then she’s had it for about six and done the bulk of these miles. Very cheap insurance. It’s got airbags, electric windows, ABS, a radio, all kinds of gadgets.

In the four years I’ve known her it’s been very reliable, apart from tyres and oil filters and suchlike it’s had a rear spring, a rear wiper arm, an exhaust manifold and a bonnet catch. Fair bit of service history with it.

She’s very fond of it and would like it to go to a good home.

Bad bits.

Slight hole in the exhaust, sounds a bit roarty. Need a new one of these sections, under £60 https://www.onlineautomotive.co.uk/Products.aspx?ID=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&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIreKX5djU3QIVSrftCh1B2QvPEAQYASABEgIsw_D_BwE

Front right wheel bearing is rough, needs replaced. Cheap and easy job.

12V socket  doesn’t work. I’ve no idea about electrcs so have just ignored this, have a USB battery for charging telephones, SatNavs etc when oot and aboot.

There is a small damp patch on the fuel tank. Not sure how much of an issue this is. This may be nothing to worry about, no smell of fuel or anything like that, not dripping, but might be an MOT issue. Straightforward job for someone with the skills and a ramp, might be a larger bill from a garage. New tank is less than £80 here https://www.cartech-one.co.uk/en/product/3630392-tank-petrol-diesel-fuel-injected-engine-50l?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlsXh29nU3QIVqL_tCh1GLwCYEAQYBCABEgKKIvD_BwE but obviously labour will be the big bit.

.We’re near Galashiels/Edinburgh/Glentress/Innerleithen, it’s in Linlithgow fairly frequently too. You’re welcome to test drive on production of evidence of insurance and could potentially arrange delivery to south Lincolnshire (my sister is coming up and she could get the train and drive it home, or drop it off somewhere near the A1)

***Nagging suspicion a piss-take is about to follow, please be nice***

Give it to TJ.

He doesnt have a car.

Premier Icon thepurist
    Subscriber

Give it to gnusmas – IIRC he lost his car a while back.

Premier Icon Dickyboy
    Subscriber

We swapped our similar age & mileage Yaris for a bottle of fizz about 18months ago, just checked & it is taxed and MOT’d till end aug 2019 so still going strong ☺️

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Shame it’s not that light pearlesent blue that they do – my brother’s ex drivers one (inherited from our auntie, funnily enough). I’d like to park the identical car somewhere near hers and get the dopey woman really confused.

It’s silver though, so I think she’d notice.

Friend of mine is a nurse, gets really poor pay and has taken on a role where she drives for a couple of hours to do training 3 days a week. Her old Polo is just about dead, so she has to borrow her daughter’s Ka. Not sure whether she could cope with a 1L Yaris though…shall I ask her? Opposite end of the UK, so it would start with a Yaris roadtrip! 😆 Not practical that, is it… 🙁

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Give it to TJ.

He doesnt have a car.

Can’t. he isn’t affected by any ads, stealth or otherwise, or marketing.

tjagain

Give it to gnusmas – IIRC he lost his car a while back.

sounds like a good call.

If you give it to me it will just sit outside my flat rusting away 😉

Premier Icon jackf
    Subscriber

At the end of the day, it needs a few bits as you’ve outlined, and unfortunately isn’t worth all too much. What about donating it, fire service, local technical college etc?

andrewh

Hmm. Read a few of gnusmas’s posts on here, although not commented as nothing helpful to say, but he has been having a tough time. If you are reading this gnusmas are you local and is it of any use to you?

Where is your nurse friend Dez? Could get it to Northampton if not in a rush, Lincolnshire easily as per above, Fort William in a couple of weeks.

orangeboy

Maybe need a new thread with his name in the title. But bump none the less

Are you looking for anything to swap with?

regenesis

I’d fly up and grab that for a road trip with my eldest as she’s just passed her test and off to Uni

Rich_s

Thread hijack with a not so stealth ad, we have a bag o shite for sale too as the missus brought home her new car yesterday.

Nissan Primera 1.8 petrol 2006. No straight panels. About 9m mot. Has had 3 kids bouncing around in it. Offers of 100 quid and it’s yours. Wirral based.

Premier Icon gnusmas
    Subscriber

Tomhoward linked this in a thread of mine. I am really touched and sat in tears at your generosity and thinking of me. Thanks to thepurist, tj, orangeboy and yourself andrewh for the thought and offer.

Correct, the mobility car unfortunately had to be returned at the end of July. While a car would be great and really handy, i don’t think there is a way of getting it. I live in Carmarthen, West Wales. With 4 kids too I honestly can’t think of any logical way to be able to accept your kind offer.

Good luck with it and hope it finds the right home.

tjagain

Surely someone could get it to you?  I’d drive it down but I have no insurance ( I am on holiday next week) and train it back

If someone could solve the insurance issue and assure me its good to drive that far?  stop off at Molgrips so he can “fix” it?

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Where is your nurse friend Dez?

Southampton!

MY brother works for Toyota too, so could the bits sorted cheap… it’s just tooooo farr!

[edit] sorry missed gnusmas’ post. There must be a way to get it to him if he needs it.. 🙁

Rich_s

I’m guilty here of jumping onto a thread without reading it through. At the risk of treading on toes, I’d be happy to donate the primera to Gnusmas if he wants it.

Now, on Monday I’m working in Caerphilly and I’d be happy to travel down there in it and get the train back home (Arriva Trains Wales *shudder*) if you could come collect it from there?

Lmk if you want it. Can sort some pics out and I’ll even try and clean it a bit!

I bloody love this place sometimes. It’s like a Friday morning group hug.

tjagain

Do it rich.  I’ll chuck in a few bob to cover your train fare and the beer you need to survive the journey as your offer might save me from being taken up on mine to drive the yaris from Scotland to wales 😉

andrewh

Hello again,

Have sent my wife a link to this thread, it is her car after all but I know she’s more keen for it to have a new life at a good home rather than getting as much as she can for it, would be great if it could live on and be useful to someone.

Replied to your PM TJ.

Premier Icon deadslow
    Subscriber

How much would it cost to transport it? Shiply or such like. As it’s not urgent it might be affordable?
    I would be happy to chip into a crowdfund unless the STW collective can set up a car relay across the UK to get it from point A to B.

tjagain

no pm here andrew.

andrewh

Sent it again TJ. Not very exciting, mainly about insurance. If Mr Grips could pop a wheel bearing/hub on it and exhaust section (or weld it?) then it’s a perfectly fine car.

Mrs H is happy for it to go to Gnusmas and live on. If it’s easier to do the Nissan though then no offense taken 🙂

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>subduedsupernova
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Member</div>
    </div>
    </div>
    <div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

Are you looking for anything to swap with?

</div>

She does quite fancy a titanium 29er, she’d need a 16″, really enjoyed my El Mariachi even though it’s too big for her. Even a frame only may be a wee bit optimistic though. Or a few square feet of a local feild to keep a beehive in if anyone nearby has such a thing?

tjagain

Right folks – we going to do this thing?  Which car seeing as there now appears to be two in the mix.

Premier Icon Mary Hinge
    Subscriber

If someone can relay it to Llandrindod Wells I can get it to Carmarthen.

Can someone who knows how to do these things set up a fundme page whatsit for tax/insurance. I’ll put a few quid in.

Premier Icon mattbee
    Subscriber

Yeah, no point in having a car if it’s not insured, taxed etc so I’m happy to contribute to that too.

Premier Icon sadexpunk
    Subscriber

i’ll also chip a few quid in if theres a link set up….

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

Me too.

Awesome effort and what a great idea 👍

Premier Icon fadda
    Subscriber

I’ll chip in, too…

Raises hand 🖐

I too would gladly chip in some quids for insurance/tax/spare parts etc

Premier Icon gnusmas
    Subscriber

After posting yesterday, I didn’t think twice about this. Saw earlier this morning it was at the top again so had a look. 😲😲😲😟😢😭 That pretty much summed up what I was like when I read it all.

It is a truly wonderful gesture by everyone, but honestly, there is no need for anyone to go out of their way to do any of this for me. You have all been so supportive, kind and generous throughout all we have gone through, and still going through for that matter.

As I have been told previously and have found out loads of times, it doesn’t matter what I say, you all decide to do these things anyway. I genuinely appreciate all you have done, from the bottom of my heart. But please don’t put yourselves out on my account.

Premier Icon Ambrose
    Subscriber

I was chatting with Gnusmas about this earlier today. If things work out I hope to be able to give him a lift to the car, then I’ll collect the bricks I’m having from SaxonRider in Cardiff and put some in the Gnus-mobile too. Then back to Carmarthenshire we’ll go.

andrewh

Hello again,

We’re easy with whichever car is chosen, just keen to find a good home for ours and if it helps someone out then so much the better but if the Nissan is picked then no worries.

If the Yaris is chosen I could get it to Berwick or Hawick or Moffat next Friday, could do that with a bike in the back and ride home, unless TJ fancies a road trip. Cover runs out the Thursday after so have until then for people to use the ‘drive other cars ‘ bit of their policies.

Yaris insurnace is very cheap (for a couple in their late thirties with many no claims bonuses, others may vary) Tax is surprisingly expensive though, £180 IIRC

tjagain

I am perfectly happy and will to drive the yaris south.  Just let me know if its needed.

Gusnmus.  would you do something this easy to help someone out?  My bet is you would.

Rich_s

I’m perfectly happy to bring the Primera down tomorrow too but I guess I just need to know if it’s wanted or not as it’s gotta go asap as the insurance has ended & the missus is shitting it about CIE as it’s not SORN.

Ambrose – if you’re in touch with Gnusmas would you mind asking if he wants it?

Honestly I’m not fussed either way.

poolman

Tax on our 1.0 03 yaris is 120 pa, maybe the emissions are different tho.

Brilliant if gnus takes it, bombproof car.

Last service was 100 quid including the mot.

Premier Icon Ambrose
    Subscriber

Rich- I’ll ask tomorrow. tbh he’s a bit overwhelmed with the way things like this are happening. He’s such a great bloke who has had a really, Really, REALLY Awful time over the past year or so. The kids are just so gorgeous, really lovely. The affection, love and adoration for their dad is beautiful. Gnusmas knows that a car in their life would really make things so much more convenient.

Premier Icon Ambrose
    Subscriber

Done. He’s away from decent 4G at the moment but says he will be back on here later.

Premier Icon gnusmas
    Subscriber

Just got home, couple of things to do (feed and bath the kids) and will update later on.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 164 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.